Topic: Salvage!

Once again the taper twist got the better of me.  This was supposed to be 5 feet, but after 3 attempts at a taper twist (It looked like hell) I had to dissemble and take it back to give me enough leeway for a fall hitch.  Luckily, I was able to save it.  At 4.5 feet, its rather snappy, but kind of fun.  Much better after getting rid of that worthless taper twist debacle.

The best part?  The handle came out nice.  The paracord matched the wood in the inlay nicely.  You can really see the gray and green in the wood grain in the Celtic knot.  So whew, close call. 

Oh and Ron, I took your advice about steaming the oak veneer to make it cooperate a little better.  It worked.  The main wood is oak.  The knot is mahogany according to the guy I bought the veneer from.

http://i.imgur.com/U0KvCrj.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Ucj433s.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fCxba78.jpg

If you fall, I'll be there.
                            ~Floor

Re: Salvage!

Very nice job Jessie.
Can you tell us what you are using for a handle?

Ron

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator.
Only a fraction of people will find this funny.

PVC with oak dowel running through it for weight, veneer inlaid with other veneer, and 10 + coats of poly sanded between each layer.

~Floor

It looks really good.
It worked out well.

Ron

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator.
Only a fraction of people will find this funny.

Thanks.  I took it out for a trial run, but its so cold out there, your nose hairs freeze when you breathe.  It's just no fun out there at the moment.  Maybe tomorrow.  I really want wood handles again.  This PVC isn't as cool.  I put a bug in the ear of the family to all pool 10$ in the pot to buy me a wood lathe.  Lets see if my bug got smashed or not.

~Floor

Jessie, that's another fine-looking whip! I agree that 4.5 feet is pretty short, but (as you suggest) probably great fun. I like the handle, though pwerhaps not quite as much as the last one. How long is this handle, please?

That's cool, Jessie!  I like the colors on the handle!  The fact that you can salvage something is proof of growing skill.  We learn from our mistakes not our successes.  Not saying you made a mistake, just it wasn't going the way you planned or wanted and you fixed it so it would work!... And not everyone has the skill to fix something. 

You've got enough wide variety of background and "make do" skill that once you have enough practice behind you to have Your consistent pattern that works for you, you'll be very, very, very good. 

Not everybody can fix.   Great!!!

Inch by inch.

I like that. The thong colour makes it very understated and workman(or woman)-like wink  Bet it moves real quick!

One, two, three... "WOOF!"

Thanks WS. smile

Its is quick, but my niece has a 3' whip, so I know it's legal size. I'll try to take a better picture today.  I think a darker background color will show it off better.  I like it,  though. 

Robert, the handle is 12 inches, but  the thong is overlaid over 3 of those 12.

I think it just knew it wanted to be less than 5 feet.

~Floor

Never underestimate the whip's knowledge of itself!  wink

4 1/2' with a fall hitch and heavy longer fall is not much different than a cow whip with the twist at 6' and a short fall.  My opinion anyway!  Shorter and quick yes indeed.  Lots of fun to play with.  Bell forest products sells wood dowels in many species if you need them, I believe Jessie.

Inch by inch.

Dang phone. Please pardon the atrocious grammar and punctuation...

Inch by inch.

LOL, I didn't even notice.  I'm only a grammar snob when I'm being affronted by people I don't like.  Then, I catch every single mistake.  I think, if you are going to call someone a name, spell it right. Otherwise, freebird.

~Floor

big_smile
Yes Ma'am!

Every new whip is a brand new view.  You are getting better every time.

Inch by inch.

I was once told by a very wise man that a craftsman isn't someone that no longer makes mistakes. I craftsman is someone that knows how to correct, or hide mistakes.

It looks great Jessie!

Jyri, please note the date of Jessie's post #1 here.  tongue

Whaaaat?! 2016 big_smile well its great looking whip anyway big_smile

Indeed!  smile

Ahh yes.  My brother in law got his hands on that one and ruined it.  If anyone wants an example of what happens when you crack a whip like an animal, this poor whip.  He actually cracked the hitches off the end of the thong.  Don't ask me how he managed to peel the veneer off the handle.  It was a pretty whip.

~Floor

Wow, that's too bad.

Yeah, that's awful close, but that's not why I'm so hard done by...