Topic: First Video

Hey Guys,
Here is a video I just took of me cracking the black & yellow six footer. I'll have to watch Robby's video on the underhand flick again, I just can't seem to get that one right. I am open to any tips, I certainly need them.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HO2_U … 2KFmgfCZIf
Hopefully you guys can view it, I'll see if I can get it uploaded to YouTube later.

When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water.

Re: First Video

Great job Ethan!  That whip handles like a dream!  It appears to crack effortlessly.

Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.

Congrats Ethan, that whip seems to work like a charm.
Well done.

Thanks Jeff and Sven! It's far from perfect, but the best whip I've made so far.

When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water.

Nicely done Ethan.
Be very proud of this one.

Ron

When you're choreographing your life, sometimes you have to dance with the music you're given.

Well done, Ethan! That's impressive!

Regarding the forward flick: it looks to me as if you're not moving fast enough, You're right to pull the whip forward to start with, but I think you need then to speed it up a bit more as it passes you body. Then, when you flick with your wrist, it should crack easily.

Having said that, while the other cracks are all pretty good, they don't actually need as much force as you're using. Try using the minimum force to get a crack (which is not the same as minimum speed). I think you'll find it easier, and more elegant.

But very well done!  smile

Hey Ethan, nice job on your first video mate. That's a very streamlined looking whip! I like it. Also your whip cracking looks pretty good! I was quite envious of your volleys smile
I'm sure that you will get the hang of the various techniques as time goes on smile Good luck!

In vino veritas

Ethan also I forgot to mention with regards to the underhand flick, Grant Weaver gave me some advice that I found very helpful when I encountered frustration learning the underhand crack.
You want to start with the whip behind you and sweep the whip out in front of you kind of like how you would bowl a bowling ball.
I was doing quite a circular motion to begin with and found it hard to get a crack.  Keeping this in mind helped me. When I next practiced.
Good luck mate.

In vino veritas

Mr. Robert has hit the nail on the head with his observations Ethan.

Ron

When you're choreographing your life, sometimes you have to dance with the music you're given.

Pretty good, Ethan, the whip is beautiful.

A stranger in a strange land.

Thanks Ron!

Robert,
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. While I do tend to manhandle the whip at times I think part of the reason was due to the fact that I was using one of my older whips (they are much harder to crack) a few minuets before. Anyway, I'll work on that.

Russell,
Thanks, Robby or someone more experienced can verify if this is a good idea, but I found volleys much easier to learn on shorter whips (3-5'). Once you get the hang of it all you really need to do is slow it down for longer whips. At any rate, thanks for the tip on the flick, I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks Mark!