Re: pvc target stand

Fritz,  the base of this one is very stable and has never moved on me.  But, if you look closely,  you will see that my husband thought the same as you.  He put a removable end fitting at the bottom so I could fill it up with water.  (sand would work too)

I think the construction is really good. It's a perfect stand built for purpose. Yes, water or sand would do the job.
Alternatively you could just weigh it down with your rucksack or something that you carry with you, maybe a whip bag.

Topher and I built a similar one a few months back. Ours is a little taller but pretty much the same idea smile I would post a picture but I don't know how to from my phone to the comment section. ..

Hayley, there were once some instructions on the forum on how to post photos, but I can't see them now. A few days ago, I sent the following to Ryan; it might help you, too.   smile

I use Photobucket. I download the photo I want to post from my own computer into the Photobucket Library. I then open it, and copy it by clicking on the second box that appears on the right, where it says 'Direct'. Then, on the WB Forum, I then go to 'Post a Reply'. There's a little green box just below the word 'Message' (top left). (The 'quick post' box doesn't have this.) I click on that, and a slot appears at the top of the screen: into this I copy the Photobucket reference code. Voilà! The code gets posted into your message, and - once you've submitted it - it turns into a picture!

(I hope that makes sense. If it doesn't, or if you don't use Photobucket, you'll have to consult someone else. I'm a kind of computer Neanderthal!)

'Less is often more!'

Ooooo this is a nice idea.  I had some scrap steel from an old manure spreader that I made mine with because I thought I would need the weight.  I never thought about a water resovouir or sand.  It sure would be easier to transport than 30 pounds of steel.  Can I ask what is holding the clips on?  Can I play around with this design and make my own?   Would you mind?

Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap. 
                                                                                    ~Management

I'm certain there are no trade secrets in that stand. $15US worth of PVC and a pair of spring clamps will get you started. For my money, if I wanted "quick and dirty", I'd strap the clips on with zip ties. For a more semi-permanent installation, you could use small machine screws and just drill straight through the PVC.

Go ahead and make one, Jess!  You'll be so happy. 

David, you are right.  they are screwed on at the bottom.  Since this picture was taken,  I have changed the placement of the clamps to the top.

Thank you!  I saw mention of weed eater string as a target?  I can't seem to find the original thread about that. how does that work?  I have a hook that hangs from a short chain off of one side of my target that I can hang an empty pop can from, by the tab.  It's an idea from a target I had for target shooting with bullets.  when you hit the can, it moves and you can hit it several times before it falls.  Varying degrees of success here, since the whips I have are pretty wonkey.  Usually, I end up breaking the tab of the pop can off after a couple of tries, but I wondered if I had a better balanced whip if I would do better, so I haven't scratched the concept yet. I thought if there was, maybe water in the can?  I don't know.  Work in progress.

~Management

I think it was Roy who mentioned using weed eater string somewhere. Basically the idea is just attaching a piece of it at the end of a pipe so that if you miss on one side, you will hit the target stand and miss on the other, you hit air. If you see the string move, you've hit your target.

My target stand project is still waiting to happen, but I'll probably use pieces of cable tie. I thought of using two or three per target so that they're cut to staggered lengths, one going maybe an inch farther than the other. Then I'll make small "flags" on them with tape and I can see which one or both will move when I score a hit. That should tell me if a hit was good or really good. Hopefully that wasn't too confusing, it's hard to explain without a photo.

- Pokkis

Could punch a couple holes in the can and use a longer zip tie to attach it maybe.  Or a soup can, would hold up better but still move.

Inch by inch.

Thank you Pokkis, I think I get it.  I am wondering if I have something here that I might expand on that idea with.  Maybe a small, flat paddle on a light spring at various lengths?  Maybe after this Old West Festival business I am working on is over, I can focus on more fun things.

~Management

I guess all sorts of stuff could work. Maybe just cut a strip from a plastic jug or something like that, as long as you have a flexy plastic thingie that springs back to where it was after being slapped with a whip.

- Pokkis

Or...cable binders? Check this thread - there are a lot of pictures. In the end you'll see a way to attach cable binders and how to vary their length very easy.   http://www.whip-basics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2809

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

It took me a minute to figure out "cable binders."  We call them zip ties. That's a good idea too, but zip ties tend to kind of wear out and maybe an audio affirmation that the target was hit would be helpful?   I was thinking something that would bounce, like a speedometer cable out of a car.  Maybe hook a small bell to the end so it tinkles when you hit it? 
MAN!  I wish I didn't have to work today, I would be experimenting.

~Management

If you look at those pictures again, you will see that I am using orange string trimmer line.  It is really visible when you hit it.  You see it bend down and the spring back up.  There is no question if you hit it or not.

That is a really cool and economical idea. PVC, the eighth wonder of the world! Great job! I like it.

It's super easy too.  Don't glue it and you can dissemble it and shove it in one of those bags you get with a cheap kids pop tent.  Mine is hello kitty.  big_smile

~Management