Re: You Can't Fix Stupid

Ron May wrote:

Watching this guy is entertaining and funny, but I do have to remind myself that we all started somewhere.

It's his presentation and self assumed knowledge that's putting me off rather than his lack of skill.

He is where I might be if not for Whip Basics.

Ron

You're right Ron we do all start somewhere. I probably looked just as uncoordinated as this gentleman when I first picked up a whip, and I am by no means an expert whipcracker now.
Also too for presentation of my videos the last thing I cared about was looking nice for the clips. Hadn't shaved for a few days etc.
I think YouTube is a good tool. I have a lot of fun on there, I'm aware that my content is not of the highest calibre but it is fun nonetheless smile
Like you say Jessie it's good to have constructive feedback to learn from.
Have to say those comments you and Robby put on his video made me laugh though smile

In vino veritas

Ron May wrote:

Watching this guy is entertaining and funny, but I do have to remind myself that we all started somewhere.

Ron

Excellent point!
A few centuries ago I was practicing Aikido. At the start of each term, our Sensei recommended us to visit some of the beginner classes and just watch (or help him). He said: "Because you need to remember where you all started. Once, this was you"

Very true, Ron and Lasse. Although I feel justified in chuckling a little because, as Jessie said, he's not acting like he knows that he doesn't know what he's doing.

'Sic Parvis Magna'

I agree, very true Lasse.
It's all good for people who don't take whip cracking seriously, if he enjoys what he is doing, I don't have a problem with what he is doing per se.

Revelling in a person's inability to perform at an adequate level purely for the reason of being a beginner is not cool.

I just think that he would have done well to do a bit of research and practice, get an idea what he was doing before dressing up and emulating Indy.

Apart from that i'm sorry but it was entertaining to watch!

In vino veritas

Robby Amper wrote:

Oh, he did more videos. I couldn't refuse to comment...  https://youtu.be/_4o_O5F-q7g
Sometimes I ask myself what those folks think about themselves. I was not able to find that answer.

Robby

I can't help but say that his clip of "How to hold and crack a bullwhip correctly!!!!" really does justify some sarcasm!

In vino veritas

It's true, we all started somewhere and weren't very good, ....however I wouldn't post a video like that of myself online.
Surely when you watch back what you filmed and compare it to other videos out there, there's even a tiny little part of your brain that says, ..."you still suck at this and need to practice more" Instead though, he goes on to title it as an instructional video, ....

I'm a bit like Jesse on this sort of thing. I watch again and again and try to imagine the person

As others have said, the problem is not that he is a beginner and an downright clumsy. The problem is that he seems totally unaware of this fact! Totally unaware, no trace of being the least humble or having self-insight.

When I have been out throwing boomerangs, I have met a lot of people who is pretty much like him: The "How hard can it be?" attitude, the boomerang/whip is supposed to work of its own and do the job, and when it "fails to perform", it is not because of lacking the abilities in handling.

The video does serve a purpose - but as a private (nota bene!) reminder in the future of where the start was.
For many years I kept the first ship-in-a-bottle that I built for this very purpose. Packed in a box. In a closet.

Lasse Carenvall wrote:

For many years I kept the first ship-in-a-bottle that I built for this very purpose. Packed in a box. In a closet.

EXACTLY!!!

Inch by inch.

Lasse, that's why I keep and use my first whip.

Ron

Yesterday I spotted an albino dalmatian.
It was the least I could do for him.

Ron, mine's hanging on the wall in the living room.  I see it every day as a great reminder to do better each time.  Yes!

Inch by inch.

I like (most of the time) how sensory aides can bring on such vivid memory flashbacks smile
Your notion of keeping your first project is a perfect way charting and helping to record the course of progression for any given hobby.  I'm sure that it is beneficial!

In vino veritas

I bring my first whip with me every time I perform. It may not be the prettiest, but it works well. I'm still proud of it because it was my first build. I like to thinking improving, but it's hard to tell. I know I've improved the materials I use (no more premium grade electrical tape for this guy), but my plaiting is fairly consistent. I've added a couple plaits, but nothing too fancy. Difference is, I'm not calling myself an expert. I know more than some, but a depressingly large amount less than most. I work to better myself and to make a product that people would be proud to own.

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
          -Mark Twain

That's the whole point, I think-

We all have to start somewhere. 

We are never experts.

There's always more to learn. 

Learn in humbleness, share with integrity.  Take pride in what we are learning- to loosely quote a very well known whipmaker, never degrade the craft by turning out shoddy work. 

I think that applies to whipcracking as a sport as well.  Take enough pride in ourselves and what we learn to practice and get better. 

Share in a way that does not degrade our teachers or ourselves.

Inch by inch.

Nice, Thanks Rachel smile Couldn't agree more!

In vino veritas

Good heavens! I'm speechless!

'Less is often more!'

I agree with Ron, this appears to be ignorance more than anything else. He's the kind of person that benefits most from this place: someone passionate about whips in need of assistance and guidance. But it is pretty ridiculous and gives a more trained individual a good laugh smile