Topic: Tribal? Whip

Another 5 foot, weighted handle, with a glass 'jet' cabochon in the heel.  I even did the fall hitch right this time. It hasn't been waxed yet.

http://i.imgur.com/p4WZdPx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/nyLa6FD.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/u9mtBvX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Flh0T2R.jpg

Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap. 
                                                                                    ~Management

Re: Tribal? Whip

Very nice Jessie.
What did you use for the handle?
I really like the double transition knots.
Nice knots. It looks like you used cord with the guts still in it.
It looks comfortable.

Ron

It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

Now that's sleek and cool, Jessie!  It has its own look, in the best way!  That's really, really nice!

Inch by inch.

Thanks.  I still need my plaiting to get better.  Maybe I should try less tight?  I have always assumed it needs to be sonic tight.  Its loaded cord.  I think the knots are easier to control when tying and I like the roundness as opposed to the flat square ones.

~Management

Very nice indeed, Jessie!

To my eye, the design on the handle would look even better on a plainer wood (i.e. one with no visible grain).

I quite like the double transition know, which I assume is meant to help keep the whip secure in a belt holster....

'Less is often more!'

Sure.   Yeah.  That's the reason wink 

Actually, I just thought it would be pretty with a long lead down the handle and into the transition with 2 knots. If it's functional too, well...yeah.  I meant to do that. Pft.  Of course.  smile  I do plan on trying that again, with the long lead down the handle, but possibly decreasing the handle diameter before I do.  IDK. 

I just pulled it out of the wax and all hell broke loose. I have never ever had shrinkage before when I waxed.  I knew the plaiting wasn't perfect, but it wasn't THAT wonky before the wax.  It really got wonky when I waxed it.  I even have tiny gaps where I know I didn't have any before.  Suddenly everything got weird and it's not the way I made it.  So, what do we do to stop that? Because I feel like I joined the pissed off club.  I want in on the secret.

Damn it.

~Management

Oh, Jessie, how frustrating! Perhaps the other whip-makers here can offer some clues; I fear I can't....  sad

'Less is often more!'

If it's pulled tight over a bolster, and the cord shrinks but the bolster doesn't....
That might be part of it. 
Is the overlay loaded with line as well?  Thatwouldtake up some diameter inside each strand and it might not cover quite as much. 
What kind of cord will have something to do with it as each one behaves differently. 

I can't say for sure, I have very little experience with bolsters.

That's a crying shame, it sure is a nice looking whip.  I'm sorry.

Inch by inch.

Sometimes things just go goofy.  But I would suspect maybe even more pack and stack as Miss Bobbi calls it would solve the problem.  When the overlay is all the same cord and the seams are straight there should be not much wonky behavior. 

Look at where it gapped, and look at the plait count.  If it didn't gap at the first few inches but later down then I'd wait longer to drop.
I think upping the plait count or staying at the highest plait count for as long as possible will help solve that on future whips. 
Darn.

Inch by inch.

Yes yes the double transition is really cool!

Softer plaiting will help you with the wonkiness. I haven't tried but plaiting from a hook will probably help with that too.

On the heel knot a pineapple interweave would help to close the gaps!

No, I only load the core.  I only bolstered the core too.  I used the higher plait count like Erik suggested.

The overlay only is WN coreless, the innards and knots are a different paracord all together.

I do this because WN coreless cord is a little more expensive, I want to be sparing with it because it's easy and the overlay has the longest strands and I hate gutting and I am frugal and cheap... Damn. So many swearwords yet to be spoken...I'm tired.  I'm going to bed now.   Try again tomorrow.

~Management

That's a damn shame Jessie. I really like that heel knot too. I used to do my heel knots with ungutted cord but I have since changed to gutted. I prefer the smoother feel.

Think for yourself, act for everyone.

Very nicely done on this whip! I love how the heel knot looks almost like an eye tongue

And don't be too pissed off! Every whip is a learning process, and your whips are looking really really nice~

Only thing I'd say is to try and use the same paracord for the one whip, it really helps to keep everything consistent smile

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Jess, that is one beautiful and unique whip you produced. Sorry to hear it went wonky. If you get a chance please post up a pic of the wonkiness so we can have a look.

He died for me, I'll live for him

Jessie, how's the amperage? (roll out and wave test)
How's it crack?
Do a wax shrinkage to see how much it shrank ?

I'm so sorry to hear that it didn't turn out like you wanted. sad

Ron

It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

Cracks good, it needs to be broke in to really do the other tests well, but they seem promising.  It all seems really good except for that overlay.  Cosmetic bumage. 

I have someone in mind who would love to have it though as is.  Remember blind whip guy?  His name was Brent.  I didn't go to bible camp this year and he had asked about me wishing I was there for another whip lesson. He really enjoyed himself.  I have had it out for cracking twice and it is really easy to crack, a good beginner length, slow enough to feel what the whip is doing.  I think it will be good for him to play with.

~Management

Jessie, that sounds like a great solution - and a very generous one!

'Less is often more!'

I'm not sure how to take a picture.  The plaiting did not twist, but it wanders drunkenly from side to side and the thong itself looks "drawn up" and rumpled instead of hanging straight down like it did from the hook when I was finished with it before waxing.  Like a wrinkled shirt.   And there is gapping where there was none before, like everything just kind of drew up and the outer layer just got too small and pulled away from itself.  If you look at it from a distance, its fine.  If you don't know any better, its fine.  If you know better, its ridiculous.  Handle is badass though.  smile  I'll try again.  No biggie.  Roy sent me some gold cord and I have one handle I managed to make the oak veneer work.  A study in shades of blonde.

~Management