Jeff Roseborough

This is all about the Whip Swap 2015!
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Thanks Robby for another WB community insider review, well done, Sherlock! ;) love the hat!

That is a beautiful whip right there that performs as well as it looks!
Well done, Jeff!!!

Robby get a cup of tea and get back in bed.
Inch by inch.
Jeff Roseborough

Post by Jeff Roseborough »

Wow! I truly am humbled and excited by your review Robby. I have occasionally gotten feedback from customers but never a detailed video. Thank You!

It is great to see a whip in the hands of a master, or at least somebody who knows which end of a whip to point, and knows how to truly use it. I will have to watch the video over and over again. I would like to learn that crack you did behind and too the side of you.

When I test a whip before shipping I do basic overhand, underhand, and overhead figure 8's.

Yes, the whip is "rough and ready" by design. The thicker kangaroo hide makes for a rugged look. I also do smooth whips where I Bevel the edges. I wanted to try something different this time.

I'm glad the handle fits you. I didn't really plan that. I try for a handle about 1inch / 25mm diameter. It just happened to fit your hand so well. The heel knot I try for around 30-35mm. I don't really like big thick heel knots.

My wife keeps telling me I should charge more for my whips. I will have to if I ever want to make it into a "money producing" enterprise. For now I just like making them. Funny thing is I don't actually own one of my own whips. Everything has been either sold, donated, or swapped.
Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Yeah...I have some ideas where to grab a whip :) I like that "rough" look. It's a true working whip. But - extremely well balanced and so extremely precise. The handle and the smaller heel knot is a good combination, too. It blends into the hand and makes it easy to control the whip without effort. On those cracks you're interested. I think, one is the victorian cutback. I did a tutorial video on that right here: https://youtu.be/bhGL53tfBcM

I'm not sure which is the other crack you mean, but if you tell me exactly what you mean, I could do a little video for you to explain it in detail. If you like...

And the prices. How much is "not enough"? Some whip makers tend to bill their customers up to 800.00 USD for an roo 8 footer. Which is complete nonsense, bullshit and burglary! The DM folks bill up to 1000,00 USD for a 10 footer. Ridiculous! Imagine that - 1000,00 USD for a 12 plait roo whip, because the late David morgan made whips for a movie in the 80s. Hello...?

If you like, you can send me a mail with your prices and I'd be happy to give you my ideas on that. I gave my opinion and advice to some whip makers here on the forum. And - as far as I know - they followed. Again - if you like...

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Bobbi Holyoak

Post by Bobbi Holyoak »

I just saw the video. Great job!! Roby, I can tell you have been sick... you have that sexy voice again.
Jeff Roseborough

Post by Jeff Roseborough »

Robby, that was the one - the cutback. From what I saw you start with an underhand but then use the thumb and forefinger as a pivot point keeping the whip in a straight line reversing the forward direction. For indoor practice right now I grabbed a stockwhip handle and went through the motion. It feels really smooth. I'll have to get outside when the snow clears and try it for real!
Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

Thanks Robby for another pleasant video. My only concern is I think you have a tea addiction. Jeff that whip is truly a performer. I will have to add one to my collection one day. Congrats on your nice work
He died for me, I'll live for him
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Sexy voice...? :) Thank you, Bobbi!

Jeff - pretty much right. But make sure that your elbow is close to your body/side. When you bring your elbow out too far, the whole thing will change the angle and you won't have a clean crack. Good luck and have fun with that!

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Roy Partin wrote: My only concern is I think you have a tea addiction.
Roy there is no doubt at all that tea is addictive! I've occasionally not had any for a week or so, and my body objects mightily! On the other hand, it's regarded as hugely beneficial. The British and Japanese industrial revolutions are thought (by some, at least) to have been fuelled largely by tea, which is said to do many of the good things lots of vegetables do to one's system. :)
'Less is often more!'
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Yeah, its true Robby. You got swagger when you aren't sick, but there is definitely a sweet spot there before the hacking fit that you could get pretty much whatever you want. You have a short window during the plague that can be beneficial should you choose to monopolize on the fact. We all know, with great power comes great responsibility.... Heh
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

As I posted on the video - true dedication to review the whip while feeling so ill.

Well done Jeff for producing such a fine piece.
Devin Bauer

Post by Devin Bauer »

Love the video as always Robby, you have a excellent articulation of English that is simple, but clear and precise.
Nice work Jeff, you have progressed very well from what we've seen lately, and I would have no problem trusting your work.

The tea...it is an addiction though both a more pleasant and healthier one than Alcohols or various smoking methods. Primarily a black tea drinker, iced, but I enjoy a variety of hot teas as well. A good Irish Cream or one I tried recently called Bourbon St. Vanilla, both smooth teas with a nice flavor.

The "rough" look has a neat aesthetic with the kangaroo, and I can't help but think it may make the whip a little more durable in the long run since more material is left.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Devin Bauer wrote: The "rough" look has a neat aesthetic with the kangaroo, and I can't help but think it may make the whip a little more durable in the long run since more material is left.
Devin, David Morgan sometimes made whips with extra wide strands for durability in rough conditions. I have an 8-footer of his like that. It will never wear out! :)
'Less is often more!'

Post by Guest »

Nice, nice, big congratulations Jeff, you've made a great looking - and obviously handling - whip!

Nice to see you on your feet again, Robby. Great video, great review again, it's always good a forum member's living face.
Yes and nice hat also, very exceptional!

And by the way - tea.

Return to “Whip Swap 2015 (+++public thread+++)”