Roger Tuson

This is all about the Whip Swap 2015!
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Thanks, Roger! My lovely phone screen helped the coyote look gold :)
Inch by inch.

Post by Guest »

Seems that there are quite a lot of different variations on "coyote".

Nice work, it seems that many of us went the extra mile and redid their whips or parts of them. I'm sure your efforts paid off as that does look like a nice and stiff transition to me :)

Rog, could you PM me the tracking code for this one just in case?

- Pokkis
Donovan de Swardt

Post by Donovan de Swardt »

Something arrived in Africa all the way from the UK! Looks like Roger wants to start a whip collinisation culture... Woo-hoo.

Thanks so much Roger! It is awesome. Can't believe we needed up swopping directly. Have only had enough chance to open the package and role out a few quick cracks... Effortlessly I must add. Will give more details this evening...

Thanks again and thank you all who participated. What an awesome start to 2016

Donovan de Swardt

Not sure if that photo link worked, my Internet is being temperamental
Donovan de Swardt

Was so excited about receiving the whip I forgot to add that the end result is awesome Roger. Especially appreciate the effort needed to get here. Thank you thank you thank you

Post by Guest »

Yay! Congratulations : )
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

That's splendid, Donovan! (I hope you can get the photo link working.)
'Less is often more!'
Fritz Ehlers

Post by Fritz Ehlers »

You can copy and paste the link into a browser to see a smiley Don with whip.
Congratulations, how cool that the whip made it to you, considering the challenges.

:)
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Thanks, Fritz - done it! (I couldn't do it before because I'd inadvertently tried to copy the little symbol as well as the number.)

Very cool whip, Roger! Congratulations, Donovan! :)
'Less is often more!'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Congratulations Donovan, happy crackin' !
Good job Roger. :)
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

Phew! I am SOOOOO glad it made it safely. After hearing all your stories about the SA postal service I was starting to get worried especially as it's taken over a month to arrive!

Get cracking and let me know what you think. As soon as it stops raining over here in Blighty, I'll do the same with yours and we can swap notes :D
Jeff Roseborough

Post by Jeff Roseborough »

Congratulations Donavan!
Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.
Donovan de Swardt

Thanks all!

I am very happy it is here. Roger I am very chuffed, and yes I slate our Postal Service a lot but sometimes they surprise me and do a good job. The two major things are how slow our customs are and the penchant for our postal workers to strike.

Anyway, I was going to make time this afternoon to test the whip out properly only to wake up this morning to nice steady rain. This is actually amazing as our country is in the grips of a pretty serious drought at the moment. The mountains where I live have been spared for the most part except where we got home this weekend we found out there has been no rain whilst we were away and the temperature has exceeded 30 Celsius most days. I went walking through the forest yesterday looking to see what trees are fruiting so we can collect seeds and was shocked by how dry the understorey is. Our forest are normally perpetually damp. So this rain will put off the play time a little but I am counting it as a blesssing
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Donovan, I just wish I could send you some of our rain! It never stops!
'Less is often more!'
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Donovan congratulations !!! I'm sure glad it came through!
Inch by inch.
Donovan de Swardt

A quick review of Rogers whip!

Firstly the whip I got from Roger is way nicer than I am capable of producing at the moment. I have some practice before I make a whip as nice as this.

First impressions, was a nice sized and weight whip. I really liked the color combination (I like natural neutral colors) and the pattern. The plaiting was very neat, straight and tight with no gaps. Good job Roger!

Rolling the whip out, it rolls easy and straight! and in comparison to my whips it practically cracked itself. It still a bit stiff in areas so it will be fun to see how this whip breaks in.

all in all I am CHUFFED, Roger this is really a stunning whip and by far the finest whip I have handled. It really is nice to see where I can improve. I really like the way you end thong. I am guesing its a six strand end whereas I end in 4. The extra weight really feels like it helps the whip crack.

I have only one minor negative, I like a slightly bigger heel knot. I would be tempted to just use the current heel knot as a foundation for a bigger one but then it would cover the pretty TH you made!

Its beautiful Roger! and I cant thank you enough!
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

Thank you Donovan, I am so pleased you're enjoying the whip. On that particular design, I used to finish in a four-point tip but after sending one to Mr Robert for assessment, he recommended carrying a bit more weight towards the end so I made yours (and all subsequents built to that model) a six-pointer.

There's extra binding on the second belly (had to go over it twice) which might account for the tight sets but I hope it all breaks in smoothly. I still think I can do better on thong roll-out though. Please keep me updated on how it goes.

We're still knee deep in mud in our garden so I really haven't had much opportunity to give your's a workout but I will be doing a review as soon as I can.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Sounds like a success to me, it is a beautiful whip!
Inch by inch.

Return to “Whip Swap 2015 (+++public thread+++)”