Two 'firsts' in one!

The place to get advice & tipps, and discuss whip cracking. Feel free to post videos of yourself cracking your whip to get help, or any fun - or interesting - videos of whipcracking you would like to share with us.
Sir Roger Tuson

Two 'firsts' in one!

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

Two 'firsts' in one - my first 'public' practice and my first ever YouTube upload. Comments and advice gratefully received!

First proper practice

Post by Guest »

Looks like you're forcing the cracks a bit, try to find the least amount of force you need to get a crack. I'm a beginner myself too, so that's pretty much all I can say about that.

Except for one thing. Eye protection is worth using :)

- Pokkis
Sir Roger Tuson

I understand (I think) what you mean. The 'cracks' were echoing around the estate I was told later!

I know I should be wearing eye protection but... <shrugs>
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Roger, when it comes to eye protection, you should watch at least the intro of that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20--v8iJ-po

For the cracks... Pokkis is right. On one hand you use much too much force and power. But that's perfectly normal, in the beginning. On the other hand, you should try to hold the planes. For example your overhead crack. You start in horizontal plane, and when you're about the height of your shoulder to bring the whip down in an angle. Not good. When you practice a horizontal crack, hold that horizontal plane as long as possible and then bring the whip down.

Circus Crack. You tend to stop the motion downwards for a split second before you bring your hand/arm behin you. Make sure that you have one smooth motion down all the way. The fact, that the whip snaps back at you tells me clearly how much force you put into that crack.

The combinations. Do yourself a favor and build yourself first a solid base on the single cracks. And when this base is a stabile foundation - go on. It's tempting to go further, sure. But don't try to place the doors before you have a wall, okay? :)

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Sir Roger Tuson

Thank you Robby. I have looked at your 'Sling' video and understand and accept the dangers. I have, in fact, already whipped my own eyeball; luckily the cracker was not travelling fast!

I will get some proper eye protectors as soon as possible (my daughter says she will try and 'liberate' a pair from school).

As to the cracking, I was kind of under the impression that the point was to create a very loud crack each time, therefore, as you and Pokkis both pointed out, I used a lot of force.

I think I get your meaning about the overhead crack, keeping the horizontal plane until after the crack and then bringing the arm down?

As to the Circus crack, I've looked again at the video but I'm not sure exactly what you mean by me stopping the downward motion for a split second before bring my hand/arm behind me (this is after the crack, yes?) It looks to me like one complete motion?

Combinations: Yes, running before I can walk. I know but I was excited and pleased with what I could do. What can I say? ;)
Fritz Ehlers

Post by Fritz Ehlers »

Hey Roger,

good stuff, keep practicing, but relax a little more. put one foot a little forward so that when you swing your arms the weight of the whips doesn't make your upper body move.
Practice with one whip and change hands, give muscle memory a chance to learn the motion correctly. Also whne you practice with one hand you get to see what your whip is doing better.

Overhead crack - keep it overhead as Robby says, on the horizontal plain. Practice gently where pssible. I know what it's like when you start out, that loud crack is something quite satisfying, .... :) but it's not really an overhead crack if you're pulling it dagonally donw for the crack.
Awesome, keep at it. Try to relax a lot more and see where that gets you.
Sir Roger Tuson

Thanks for that Fritz. So much to learn... but so much fun learning it!
Fritz Ehlers

Post by Fritz Ehlers »

No worries,
you're not that far away from me, we should maybe try and meet up for a practice sometime. I live in Reading, Berkshire. I think that's about a two hour drive or so from Letchworth, Hertfordshire.

Let me know and we'll make a plan. I don't mind driving up to your neck of the woods if you've got a place to practice where we won't get into trouble for making too much noise etc. Otherwise, I have a fantastic big park near my place.
That would be fun, I don't have anyone to practice with down here.
Sir Roger Tuson

Fritz, you read my mind! I would love to get together either here or at yours (I used to live in Reading back in the late 80's), share building and cracking tips etc.

Also, Essentia Whips are only twenty minutes up the road from me. I keep meaning to drop him a line to see if I could go up and pick his brains for plaiting and building ideas.

I'll send you a PM with my details.

Best,

Rog
Fritz Ehlers

Post by Fritz Ehlers »

Got it.
Brilliant, I'll make a plan and get in touch with you. This coming weekend I can't make it, but after that I think I should be okay. I've sent you a text with my contact details as well.

Speak to you soon.
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

So Fritz will show you how to crack the whip, and I'm sure he'll be a good teacher! I'm not in for two handed cracking, but Fritz helped me to understand some of the mechanics on the two handed stuff. You'll have a good time!

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

Return to “Whip Cracking (+++ public thread +++)”