Article by Rhett Kelly, Olympic College

The place to get advice & tipps, and discuss whip cracking. Feel free to post videos of yourself cracking your whip to get help, or any fun - or interesting - videos of whipcracking you would like to share with us.
Jeff Roseborough

Article by Rhett Kelly, Olympic College

Post by Jeff Roseborough »

Rhett Kelly wrote an excellant article about Olympic College's new policy banning sport whipcracking. Here it is: http://freedomoutpost.com/2013/04/crack ... c-college/

There’s a small but growing sport here in the U.S. It’s called Sport Whip Cracking. Imagine something like trick roping, but with a bullwhip instead. Adam Winrich currently holds 9 Guinness world records for whip cracking. He is known around the world and travels extensively performing. As you can see from this video footage of Adam, sport whip cracking is actually very impressive to watch.

Yet, it seems today nothing can escape the critical glare of the politically correct extremists out there who seem to find offense under every rock and behind every tree. Last weekend, I was alerted that whips and whip cracking have now been banned on the Olympic College campus in Bremerton, WA. This after professor Karen Bolton raised a fuss in an email after seeing a student on campus cracking a whip.

The Olympian Reports:

Bullwhips are no longer allowed on campus after an email complaint from a professor about the historical use of whips and their meaning to her as well as other students.

OC student Jason Harris’ whip cracking was brought to the attention of OC’s President, Dr. David Mitchell as well as all OC faculty and staff through an email from professor Karen Bolton. She said she felt offended by the recreational practice because of the historical context of the whip and it’s origins in slavery.

“Being a person of color, it literally made me feel sick to my stomach,” said Bolton in the email, “that whip has symbolism.”

Symbolism indeed Professor Bolton!

To many, it’s a symbol of adventure; of that first time they went into a movie theater and watched Indiana Jones use his bullwhip in Raiders of the Lost Ark. To others, it symbolizes monthly gatherings with friends at a local park to practice their sporting routines. For guys like myself, a whip symbolizes youth spent largely on a sprawling ranch in central Florida, being part of a multi-generational family business of raising cattle. And for others, it’s a reminder of a grandfather who once had a bullwhip and would crack it to entertain the grandchildren.

For one gentleman I know, it’s a symbol of overcoming tragedy: being able to crack a whip in both hands at once, even though his hands are prosthetic hooks following a high voltage power accident while serving in the Air Force. The symbolism of a whip to the people I know is that of a connection to actual experiences they’ve had. Sadly, Professor Bolton can only see a symbol of something terrible from the past that she has most assuredly not experienced herself. As one commenter posted on my Facebook page, if she sees such vivid symbolism of slavery at the mere sight of a bullwhip, then she’ll probably faint if she travels here in Georgia and passes by a cotton field!

I’ve sold whips to people of all colors and creeds on 6 continents. In all the years I’ve made whips, I honestly cannot recall anyone being offended at the sight of a whip because of some symbolic connection to Antebellum U.S. slavery. Most people are very curious and thrilled by the crack a whip makes. I’m sure at least one of my many black friends would tell me if my products were offensive to them. If anything, I find the biggest misconception people have when they learn I make whips is that I’m making them for people with some kind of sexual fetish or something. Never is there any mention of slavery.

The article goes on to state that Professor Bolton further sees the whip as a weapon. Can a whip be used as a weapon? Anything can be used as a weapon. Any one of the mundane objects cluttering my desk right now could be used as a weapon if I had no other options. I’ve sold many whips to those who use them in martial arts. There’s at least one book on the subject. The question is, did Mr. Harris use his whip in an unsafe or threatening manner? According to campus security, he did not. And neither Washington law nor campus rules classify a whip as a weapon.

Professor Bolton would do well to investigate sport whip cracking a little bit. I recommend she spend some time online checking out whip cracking videos. She might also try to catch a show by the aforementioned Adam Winrich, or my friend Chris Camp. Hopefully she would reconsider her position. After that, she could pay a visit to my website at Cowwhips.com, and I’d be more than happy to make her a whip of her own.

If she could just try to overcome the prejudices in her own mind, Professor Bolton might even find sport whip cracking to be an enjoyable pastime. It could be a nice break from the lofty, yet absurd, intellectual atmosphere of academia. It sounds like she needs it.

(If you think this is absurd as I do, please contact Olympic College president, Dr. David Mitchell about his decision to ban whip cracking on campus, his email address is dmitchell@olympic.edu. A very well written form letter that can be found at Bullwhips.org, the site where I originally learned of this situation.)

Read more: http://freedomoutpost.com/2013/04/crack ... z2QWFKEBoV
Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.
Robert Wurth

Post by Robert Wurth »

Honestly, Rhett lost me at the point he started taking jabs at the professor. I agree she is being absurd, but the way to combat this is to educate her *without* mocking her or her opinions.
Gabriel Burkey

Post by Gabriel Burkey »

If they want to make the argument that a whip is a weapon, and ban it based off of that, I would have more respect for them than when they ban it because of what it symbolizes to someone.
Carl Feairs

Post by Carl Feairs »

It is hard to believe that one person's complaint can change the policy of an institution of learning. There is something not right about it.
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

I'm from germany, and I thought it wouldn't help in any way to write something. Well, it's even another continent... But Rhett Kelly told me that it would be good, if I would write. So I did it. And that's what I wrote to Dr. Mitchell from Olympic College:

Dear Dr. Mitchell

My name is Robert Amper. I‘m a sports whip cracking Coach and I‘m from Germany. I heard about the „Situation“ you have at hand and I‘d like to share my thoughts on that with you. The United States have a History, so do we Germans. But all that „History“ is past now for long Years. You don‘t fight Slavery and/or Racism at your Campus - you fight a Monster called „Political Correctness“. I am german. Some of my best Friends are from Turkey, Poland and the States. Even an american Jew. No one - absolutely no one - would point at me and say: „Look, he‘s cracking a Whip! Germans tortured Jews in the past! Seeing him cracking a Whip reminds me on the terrible things germans did in the Past!“ They don‘t say such things, because it‘s Nonsense. The same Nonsense, someone saying: “I‘m black. Seeing a white Man cracking a Whip reminds me what happened Decades ago in the times of Slavery!“

I appologize, if this is harsh or rude. But it‘s the Truth. We all - white, black, red People, Asians - life now. In the Presence. What happened in the Past - is the Past. Whips are tools. For herding Cattle and for Sports. Bows and Arrows are for Hunting and Sports. BBQ sets are for BBQs. But you can use all these things to injure and kill People, too. And - yes - Whips were used to punish people. From the old Rome up until today in arabian countries. And that‘s terrible and inhuman. Against all humans on god‘s earth. White People, black People, Indians and Asians.

A whip is a Tool for Work and Sports. To say that a Whip is an instrument of Slavery is as stupid as to say: „All Germans are Nazis“. Or „All black People are Criminals“. Because they are not! When you start with banning sports whipcracking, you should go on and ban Marketplaces, too. And Ships! Marketplaces were used to sell slaves. Ships were used to transport these poor Souls. You should stand up and make a clear Statement that the sins of the Past are the sins of the Past. That Past is behind us. If you agree to ban that sports whipcracking, you open Pandora‘s box.

Some People cause Trouble to...cause Trouble. You can state that sports whipcracking has nothing to do with Slavery or hurting People. And let that student go on practicing. That way you would take away some Power from that beast called PC.

With all due Respect,
Robert Amper.
Munich, Germany

I'm not a native speaker, but I hope all that makes sense...

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Jeff Roseborough

Well said Robby! I hope Olympic College is getting the message. If one mostly harmless activity or symbol can be banned then what is next? Personally I find liberal college professors offensive. Should they be banned also? ;) ;) ;)
Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
Einar Stephenson

Post by Einar Stephenson »

Well Robby straight to the point as usual! and that's a good thing.
Jared Routon

Post by Jared Routon »

Outstanding post Robby. Political Correctness is the biggest monster we have here in the US. We deal with it here in the Deep South where I live too. I once visited a cousin of mine in Ohio and was told by a friend of his that I couldn't be from the South because I was wearing shoes. We do wear shoes in Mississippi. We in Mississippi are acused of many such things reguarding our lives simply for living in Mississippi. I agree with you Robby that it's time to let the past be the past and embrace each other as humans. If this Professor dislikes whips it's her right...and her loss on having a whole lot of fun.
Ozz Harris

Post by Ozz Harris »

While i do believe there is a time and place for being PC(such as around young impressionable children) I also feel OC is taking this to far by fully banning a sport.

I'm not the least bit surprised though. Colleges/business's have been sued for far lesser offences and I'd bet good money that there are more people on campus who find whipcracking culturally offensive than there are on campus cracking enthusiasts willing to defend it.

I suspect that unless the story becomes national news nothings going to change(at least not a change that I, someone not living in that state, can effect), and at this point its only news to Washingtonians and cracking enthusiasts.

I will be sending a letter to not only OC but my local news channel as well.

edited: Deleted some. I'm told I'm blunt as hell, kinda runs in the family. Open mouth, insert foot XD
Last edited by Ozz Harris on Wed 24. Apr 2013, 03:31, edited 1 time in total.
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Then - please - don't forget to send them the letter I wrote to Dr. Mitchell, too.

Robby
Franco Zoccali

Post by Franco Zoccali »

I'm with you Robby, and I too wrote my letter.

This notion that is going around nowadays that when people say "I'm rather offended by this" gives them some special privilege is a load of crap! Either people are disconnected with reality or they are living a life that is altogether too sheltered! Being offended does not give you any rights. It doesn't even make you interesting. Being witty, yes. Being controversial, sometimes. But being offended?

However, this should NOT be confused with a lack of empathy or understanding on my part. I DO have an immense sense of empathy for any people or individual who has suffered and been abused. I do. I also know a thing or two about history and politics and I realize this is NOT a thing of the past. If it truly was, perhaps professor Bolton would not have been so upset. My guess is that the whip didn't merely remind her of the distant past, it reminded her of today... But that's just my take on things, it doesn't make it fact. Even though whips are no longer used in the cotton fields of the US, there is still a divide between rich, white America, and the rest. But banning whip cracking is not the solution. How is that going to change anything? I hope that somehow Professor Bolton gets the opportunity to try it once and see it is not the beast she imagines. I hope she finds a way to live in peace and happiness. But preventing others from enjoying a harmless activity isn't going to rewrite history and it isn't going to tame her demons.

This is all very unfortunate.
Tyler Blake
Member of the Ring

Post by Tyler Blake »

Here is the letter I sent to Dr. Mitchell:

Dear Dr. Mitchell,
I am writing to express my concern about the recent banning of whips on your campus. I am not affiliated with your school in any way, although I am a Washington State resident (Skagit County). It's disturbing to me that Professor Bolton's position, and now through extension the position of Olympic College, is that Sport Whipcracking is inherently racist. Really? Is that truly what you and the faculty at Olympic College think of the tens of thousands of Sport Whipcracking enthusiasts worldwide? If so, then it's sad that an institution of higher learning is adopting such an ignorant position. Sorry, I wouldn't know how else to phrase that. Sport Whipcracking is all about timing, reflexes, and precision- not racism. For those of us who make whips, we spend years learning our trade- I myself spent close to a decade honing my skills before I offered my whips for sale. We utilize ancient braiding and knot tying techniques that come, sometimes, from many different cultures all over the world. There are well- respected whipmakers who are considered artists in there own right, and they can develop those skills because of the market provided by sport whipcrackers. I myself have made whips for people in 5 different countries, and they were all sport whipcrackers. Would you like to ban recreational sailing? Sailboats were used to transport slaves, does that make recreational sailing a sickening and offensive activity? Would Professor Bolton like to see Sport Whipcracking banned in our state? How about nationwide? If it's racist on campus, it's racist everywhere right? It would seem to me that this decision was not carefully thought through and that it was based rather on a knee-jerk reaction. I remember learning about context in grade school- it therefore is amazing and troubling to me that a college professor would seem to have such a difficult time distinguishing between the different contexts of a tool that unfortunately was used to enforce slavery but now is used for sport with no negative connotation or intent. I suggest that this could be a teachable moment for all parties about the context in which things are intended. I would hope that your institution could reach a compromise in the form of finding a place for the young man to pursue his hobby which is, after all, not harmful to anyone. Thank you for your consideration,

Tyler Blake

--
Whipmaker,
Exowhips
Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Very well said, Tyler. Today I posted into an Indiana Jones Fan Forum. The "Indy Lounge". It feels strange to me that so much people complain about the whole thing, and so little folks actually act. This is what I wrote there:

The problem is, that these folks will never read what's posted here into the forum. So if you - if anyone - will at least try to change something, you have to address your opinions and ideas to these folks directly. You know, all this isn't my problem. It's even not my country nor my continent. But I see these things as a general problem and issue. So if everyone who posted into that thread would mail directly to Dr. Mitchell... Who knows. One, three or four mails are easily ignored. 15 or 20 are not so easy to forget. But when the counter goes over 100...

Of course it's easy to say that one gave up a long time ago. And it's okay to complain. But it would be better to complain AND stand up against these things. In germany we have a poem. It says: "Imagine, it's war. And no one participates". Some anti military organisations used this for their campagnes. But there's a little problem. They left the last line. The whole thing says: "Imagine, it's war. And no one participates. Then the war will come to you". Same here. This thing is discussed in more forums. All the folks post and are really angry. But there are so little - too little - people who stand up and make a statement, write to these folks.

If nothing happens, if nothing changes in the end, the few who wrote are entitled to say "I tried to change something!" All the others can say then "I complained in my forum". All that isn't meant in a bad way. I've just seen too much of these situations, were a lot of people complained about something, but didn't do anything. In the end the decisions were made, and then it was "Ah, I didn't do anything, because no one listens anyway..." Well, if you don't make a noise - who shall hear you...?

Robby

It's really strange. I mean - people write how dissappointed they are and that humanity is pathetic. But they don't act. They post into a forum and that's it. A forum is a good and great place to share infos. To help each other in that somehow closed circle. But to complain in a forum doesn't help anything, right?

And - on that racism thingy... Germany has its past with the holocaust. Am I responsible for the terror? No. Was my father responsible for that terror? No. Was my grandfather responsible for the terror? Perhaps. I don't know. He died when I was a little boy. In germany we had a problem. And it seems that it's becoming better. For years some (Some! Not all. Some!) jewish people loved to say "You're doing that only because I'm jewish!" when something didn't went the way they liked it. And some years ago the people here started to learn to say "No. I do that because you're wrong. Not because you're jewish." Period. It took some time; years, actually, but it's getting better and better.

It seems to me that the States are in the middle of that conflict, now. Political Correctness was good in terms of: "Don't call black people Nigger!" Like it was good in terms of "Don't call germans Nazis!" But that PC thing is out of control and became a monster. And - and that's the point that makes me wonder - over there in the states are so many forums, so many whip handlers, so many whip makers. But when I look into the different forums, I see mostly people complaining, but doing nothing besides that.

I mean - how many folks are here in the WB forum? And how many posted into the thread (s) on that matter? And how little actually did something...? Perhaps I missed the point, but that's how all that looks to me.

Robby
Jeff Roseborough

Again, very well said Robby.

I am not one that will sit back and say "Not my problem" when it comes to opinions and political correctness. I tend to speak my mind. I used to remain silent publicly and gripe personally but no more. I consider myself well informed and a reasonable tolerant person. Political correctness has reared its ugly head in the United States and in the last decade become a prevalant attitude among minority groups - not minority in terms of race or color, (that is a part of it though) but in groups that are a small percentage of the whole and think that their way is the ONLY way to think and act and that everbody should accept them and adapt to their ideals. It has gotten to the point that we should treat a person favorably because of their race, creed, skin color, religeon, personal preferences, etc; not as a human being and the potential that person has to excel in life.

I'll will have to remember that line you quoted. "You're doing that only because I'm xxxxx!" when something didn't go way they liked it. And some years ago the people here started to learn to say "No. I do that because you're wrong. Not because you're xxxxxx." As an example of where that would be good to use here in the U.S - If you disagree with our current President you're racist, not that he is wrong and you are right.

We (the United States) are a relatively young culture and society compared to European societies. We've only been around for about 237 years. We are a mixture of many different worldwide cultures and peoples. In some ways our identity is fluid and still forming. As a society Germany in comparison has been around for what - 2000+ years? You have had time to develop a national identity as a people and can point to different ideals and symbols and say "This Is Germany!"

Having said all this now let's everbody start sending letters/e-mail to Olympic College. Make yourself heard. Hopefully we can nip this nonsense in the bud.

Jeff
ps. I am sorry if I may have offended anyone with this post/rant. It is not my intention to offend anybody.

Return to “Whip Cracking (+++ public thread +++)”