Please post your donation... HERE!

Well... We have an annual whip lottery, in which everybodey can participate. And the money for the tickets goes - exactly; to the doggies. And to avoid any possible "misunderstandings" - with an official contribution receipt...!
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Thanks, Ron. (It's pouring with rain again! :( )
'Less is often more!'
Jyri Haveri

Post by Jyri Haveri »

https://youtu.be/ijpap2vV89M

Here it is. It works great!

It is very interesting to use whip made by someone else. This and the tassel whip i won last time are a lot more handle heavier whips than mine.

Thanks a lot sir Roger!
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

It flows well, thanks for the video Jyri.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Very nice, Jyri! Thanks! :)
'Less is often more!'
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Nice job, Roger and Jyri.
"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White
Collin Weaver

Post by Collin Weaver »

Here are the first few teasers of Ben's whip. I literally only got a chance to hold it enough to place it in the light box and snap a couple photos, as I'm at work still.

Right off the bat though, I love the weight and balance of it. The taper starts immediately at the handle section, and finishes all the way down to an English eye hitch. No lumps or kinks to be spoken of either.

The fall is a twisted taper and weighted, and I noticed he takes the time to stitch the keeper loop on the end so no weight can come out and it's a very secure and safe system (Ben or anybody, if there's a tutorial on this method of fall I must have missed and if you can forward me the link :)) The heel knot is perfectly symmetrical, tight, and beautifully done.

I told Ben I learned a lot from reading over tutorials and methods he has posted in the past, and I am honored to be holding one of his whips.

It's pouring rain today, so hopefully I can get a chance to do a quick cracking video this weekend and give this whip some love it deserves!

Cheers

Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Thanks for sharing Collin.

Ron
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Collin, I have one of Ben's snakes just like this, but in red and black. I love it! :)
'Less is often more!'
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Ben is a great whip maker, absolutely!

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

Jyri,

I only gave that whip a couple of cracks after waxing before hanging it up. It's been there ever since. It was really good to see it finally flowing the way I hoped it would. Once it's properly broken in I hope you'll give us an update on how it goes.
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Update: We are having a little trouble with paypal and some different policies from last year. Until they process all the documents they want from me, I’m unable to transfer the money to Robby. It will be done, I’ve talked it over with Robby and all is well. You all will be kept in the loop.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Collin, thank you very much! I've made the fall using Tyler's method for making loaded falls - credit goes to Tyler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMeHI1ct6k4

Robert, Robby, thank you very much!

All the best
Ben
Wolfgang Timm

Post by Wolfgang Timm »

And today, finally, I tried Jyri’s 7ft stockwhip. Quite a difference to a bullwhip with strong transition...and it was too too windy for really good cracking practice.
At one point I was struggling to get a simple cattleman’s crack with my RIGHT hand whereas it worked with the left hand without any problem... The wind played a huge part in that (you can hear the noise in the background)
Anyway here is a little video, but I think I some more practice with this kind of whip to do it justice. But it’s super fun, I‘ll definitely take the time because with its long handle and light weight it just feels good. Not the „wrist-killing“ kind of whip. Probably requires a lot more movement with the whole arm.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VVGlwvHGY ... e=youtu.be
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Wolfgang, it looks like it flows and handles very nicely.
Thanks for posting the video.

Ron
Jyri Haveri

Post by Jyri Haveri »

Wolfgang well done!

Stockwhips made me say few certain curse words from very old and refined vocabulary for curse words we have here in Finland.

Just think that the handle is a long fork. Now imagine you take a hard boiled potato to the forks spikes.
Now you want to throw that potato from the forks spikes out of the window.
It is a little hard to explain but you can always try it :D

Now try the same movement with the whip with forward flick. If you cant go outside you can always try it inside, no need for a crack, just the voice you know you can get it to crack.

After this you may get the "click" feeling. In snake and bullwhips you want the energy to flow thru the handle and the transition to the tip. In stocks it goes right from the end of the handle to the tip. This is as it feels to me, they are just snappy buggers.

I did try it with my bolth hands and i didnt feel much difference. Maybe you just have to give those keepers some good cracking.

I hope you can get some help from this.
Wolfgang Timm

Post by Wolfgang Timm »

Jyri, thank you VERY much this sounds like a very good analogy! The explanation helps a lot ... You are touching a point here with the overhand/forward flick - there is a reason this crack isn’t in my video...I didn’t manage one single forward flick, it felt absolutely uncomfortable ;) (even though I watched your video several times before where you did it effortlessly)
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

Jyri Haveri wrote:Stockwhips made me say few certain curse words from very old and refined vocabulary for curse words we have here in Finland.
This is the best thing I have heard all day! I literally laughed out loud.
I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.

Return to “The official annual WB Dog Shelter Campaign”