The Coachman's crack 2/4/17 to 2/13/17

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Being not a master myself - Robert quoted me right. Every time I crack a whip I learn something new. On every (!) crack. There is so much poetry, balance, life and new things to discover; even in a simple circus crack.

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Flemming Bo Christiansen

Post by Flemming Bo Christiansen »

Hello

I promised you a video of my coachman’s crack. Remember I had my first success yesterday and I have never managed to do this crack before.

I put them in here even though the training period is over.

I know I am using too much force when I swing the whip, but now I think the most important thing is to enjoy the crack. Next week I start working on the artistic look. Two things about the videos. I have just uploaded the video with all my attempts, so you can see where I am. I could have chosen to continue trying until I got a better attempt, but I was only doing this for fun.

Second thing. It is fun to see that my left is better than my right. I think it is because I try not using my right arm more than necessary. This was necessary! :) :)

The whips are a 6 ft. Night Train from Exowhips (Tyler - and in fact it belongs to Gitte) and the orange one is the 7 ft. whip Tyler donated last year for the dog shelter raffle.

The videos are here:

https://youtu.be/2VKFIV28pbk

https://youtu.be/XuCll8hfvUU

https://youtu.be/tGn9pUNlOxk
Today is a good day
Wolfgang Timm

Post by Wolfgang Timm »

Long story short: I think you got it and you also know where to improve. :)
It’s a tricky crack and I‘m always puzzled how Robby can send the crack absolutely vertical upwards to the sky ;)
Up to now I haven’t managed more than a diagonal version.
Flemming Bo Christiansen

Thanks Wolfgang - And yes I know that there is a lot of space for improvement, but from now it is going to be just fun :)
Today is a good day
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Flemming, you are definitely getting better.
That Night Train is definitely working for you.
Thanks for sharing.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Good progress, Flemming! :)

The Night-Train seems to work better than the other whip for this crack....
'Less is often more!'
Flemming Bo Christiansen

Thanks Robert and Ron. The Night Train is a wonderful whip. Almost similar to crack as a lightweight roo-whip.

I think one of the reasons, why the Night Train works better is because it is a 6 footer and I usually use a 6 foot whip. I tried with my own 7 ft. Night Train and i did not work very well. That's why I tried the orange one because it has a heavier handle and therefore more energy is transferred out in the thong.

Just my humble theory :) I am still experimenting with the crack and the whips :) Thats what I learned at the M&G last year : "It has to be fun" :)
Today is a good day
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

Nice work, Flemming!
I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

I watched your videos very closely. And I'm not sure if you're going to like what I have to say about it...
Your coachman's crack is absolutely okay, Flemming :) Not perfect, but all I could tell you is, that you have to work on the flexibility of your shoulders and n o t to look straight forward, but to raise your head a little bit. That way your back will bend a little backwards and your shoulders can move more freely. Aside of that - nothing to correct, Flemming. You are doing really fine. What you need now is fine tuning. The crack itself works nearly perfect. Thank you for sharing those videos!

Robby
Flemming Bo Christiansen

Thank you Robby. Great feedback - I know you are always there to help us I we need it. I appreciate that.
Today is a good day
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

You're welcome, Flemming :) I'm happy if I can help!
Just go on practicing!

Robby

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”