The Victorian Cutback from 4/7/2017 to 4/16/2017

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Wolfgang, it won't work for me either.
You might have it set to private and not public.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Wolfgang Timm

Post by Wolfgang Timm »

Aaaaah, SORRY. I didn‘t hit „save settings“ after I changed it from private to open...it should work now.
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Yep, that fixed it, Wolfgang. It looks pretty good, the main criticism that you'll get from us is that you are working too hard. Relax, slow down, and let the whip do as much of the work as it will. That being said, good job. BTW I still have a lot to work on in the slowing down area myself. Did you make that whip?
"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Wolfgang, how long have you been cracking a whip?
You seem to be using way too much power. Let the whip do the work as Mark said.
Slow down and try to make the correct form and think less about the crack.
You also are off plane for the respective cracks you are attempting.

Loud as a gunshot is not the goal for me, just a smooth delivery with the best form I can achieve.
With crackin', less is more and practice with correct form and the crack will follow.

Good job with the video and the slo-mo. That's always very interesting to watch how the whip moves in correlation with the arm . Thanks for posting.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Wolfgang Timm

Post by Wolfgang Timm »

Mark and Ron, thanks for the Feedback!
By the time this video was shot I was into whipcracking for two years as a „side-hobby“ in which I did not invest that much (an hour of practice every few weeks in the sommer , nothing during the winter).
The whip I am using here is a 8 ft 150$ paracord I got on ebay... I don‘t know what can actually be achieved with that one... But I am fully aware that my main goal has to be reducing power and achieving a better form. But I am sometimes struggling with the whips I have available.
I would drive the 600 km to a meet&greet just to see my whips in the hands of an expert showing me what is actually possible with the whip I am using in this video. But again, I know that my technique is lacking.
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Wolfgang, it should be a pretty decent whip for 150. And your technique isn't that bad. You already know what you want to improve upon and that's a good start. A lot of us are just getting started. My biggest problem when I first came here was I learning all the bad habits. You'll fit in fine here.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Thanks, Wolfgang - that works now!

As Mark and Ron have said, you seem to be using far more power than you need. Also, your arm flops about a lot, which makes the whip wobble rather than fly straight. (It will do exactly what you tell it to do!) Have you seen Robby's DVDs? The thing with the imaginary clock face is really helpful. Try to keep your arm 'flat' against this - and relax! You'll soon find it's more 'fluid' this way.
'Less is often more!'
Flemming Bo Christiansen

Post by Flemming Bo Christiansen »

Wolfgang

You might learn something by watching some of the earlier movies in this tread and read through the good advice's.

And if you think it is difficult - just look at some of the videos, you are not alone :)
Today is a good day
Wolfgang Timm

Post by Wolfgang Timm »

Yes, getting bad habits out of the system will probably take some time... I know Robbys DVDs and countless tutorial videos, however I always seem to fall into the same traps over and over again :lol:
Usually when I practice I do the entire set of standard cracks, flicks, figure8, volleys in about half an hour, I think from now on I will focus more on one specific crack and focus more on technique and using less power. I try to get everything filmed with slow motion to study the mistakes but it‘s a slow process ;)
And yes, I think there is s lot to read and watch for me here!
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Wolfgang - I made a little video for you on the coachman's crack. I'm sorry that I called you Timm while shooting. I thought it was your first name. I did not want to disrespectful. Again - sorry.

Robby

https://youtu.be/5yCHI7K0dYg
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Hey! That helped me too! I can do the angles, but was never good at the straight up version. Kind of like my forward flick, it works occasionally and then I look all..."why yes, that's how it's done...hehehe." Thhhhank you Robby.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Robby, this will undoubtedly help me, too! Thanks! :)
'Less is often more!'
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Robby, that video was very helpful. As usual, I was trying to do it all wrong. Thanks.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Robby, great explanation that helps clear this crack up very well. Thank you!!!
Inch by inch.
Wolfgang Timm

Post by Wolfgang Timm »

Robby, thank you so much for this!
I think I get the picture now...the few times I actually tried to bring the handle up didn’t work for me - probably too early with the end of the whip not in the correct position. In this video I focused on waiting...waiting...waiting for the whip to be in the right position and forgot all about the upward direction. Anyway I know what to practice next :)
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

You are more than welcome! I did not know that so many folks have problems with the Coachman's Crack. Probably you will find this video helpful, too...

https://youtu.be/Um7hWRI76kU

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Wolfgang Timm

Post by Wolfgang Timm »

Yes! Thanks alot again...the view from the side gives a very clear picture of this crack!
I really like the whip you are using in that video.
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Indeed! Thanks very much, Robby. I remember this now, but had forgotten it!
'Less is often more!'
Scott A. Cary

Post by Scott A. Cary »

Every time I watch one of Robby's videos, I learn something new. Thanks!
I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”