Advice needed !

The place to get advice & tipps, and discuss whip cracking. Feel free to post videos of yourself cracking your whip to get help, or any fun - or interesting - videos of whipcracking you would like to share with us.
Flemming Bo Christiansen

Advice needed !

Post by Flemming Bo Christiansen »

Hello

I have a problem.

When I try to hit a target or just doing the cattlemans crack, whe whip tends to roll out like a spiral instead in a nice straight line.

I know I am doing something wrong, because there is no difference, if I use another whip.

I can not find out if it is the plane, a twist in the hand or something else.

Here is a video of it:

https://youtu.be/D17nfGNfpjg

Thank you in advance
Today is a good day
Jyri Haveri

Post by Jyri Haveri »

Flemming, i think it happends becose of your stance and body movement. It seems to me that you are moving your body away from the whips way.
Put you right leg little bit to the right and keep your body still.
Your whip hand looks to move in a bit out of vertical line.
Just bring it up and stay still, whip will tell you if you are in its way :D
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Flemming, Jyri is right! Also, mind your right elbow. It tends to flop out of the vertical plane, both going down and coming up again. Try to move more from the shoulder.... Think of your shoulder as the pivot of an imaginary wheel that extends right down to your hand, and on through the whip - a wheel that's absolutely flat. That wheel should move flush against the imaginary 'clock face' Robby talks about.

Another hint from Robby: keep your thumb pointed in the direction you want the whip to travel. That way, you won't rotate your arm as it move, which can cause the whip to 'spiral'.

As Robby has said so often, take it slow! It doesn't matter about the crack. Get the form right, and the crack will come. (My music teacher used to say, 'If it takes you five minutes to move from one note and the next, that's fine: what's important is to practise accurately. Otherwise, you just learn your mistakes! I think the same is true with whip-cracking.)
'Less is often more!'
Flemming Bo Christiansen

Thank you both.
Now I have something "old" to practice in a new way.

That is how it is. Thank you :)
Today is a good day
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Flemming, I also noticed that you are not finishing the throw at the 6:00 o'clock position by your side. You're throwing it forward and stopping in front of you which kills the momentum of the thong so it can't actually finish the "roll out".
Slow down and you'll do fine. :)

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Flemming Bo Christiansen

you are right Ron.Thank you
Today is a good day
Marco Draghi

Post by Marco Draghi »

Ron May wrote:Flemming, I also noticed that you are not finishing the throw at the 6:00 o'clock position by your side. You're throwing it forward and stopping in front of you which kills the momentum of the thong so it can't actually finish the "roll out".
Slow down and you'll do fine. :)

Ron
?!?
It's wrong to finish in front?
I thaught it's the right way for single crack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJJhRnU ... Ao&index=1
Flemming Bo Christiansen

yes Mario it is, if you want to make a smooth movement into the slow figure eight, which in my opinion is the most important crack , because you use it to change direction
Today is a good day

Return to “Whip Cracking (+++ public thread +++)”