Whip Waxing!!!

Le'me see... Whips, whips and - whips!
Ethan Mitchell

Whip Waxing!!!

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

Hey guys, so I finally got around to experimenting with wax. To start I bought a basic crockpot on sale for $10 USD. I used it to wax a small three foot snakewhip.
Then a few days ago I was able to get a larger pan from Ikea that will work for most things. Though I might want to find a lid as I smoked up the whole house! :p
So here are the three waxed whips I have so far:
Ethan Mitchell

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

I had to replace the fall on the bullwhip after waxing as it filled up with wax.
Jyri Haveri

Post by Jyri Haveri »

Looking good Ethan!
I have yet to try it too. What i have read that heating the wax could make it catch fire easily so maybe you should try it out side? I'm sure someone who knows better will tell how it is.
Ethan Mitchell

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

Jyri, Thanks! I actually tried waxing some bracelets and such a long time ago. They turned out pretty bad, with loads of extra wax on them. I found that my problem was I didn't get the wax hot enough. It was still thick, and it solidified way too fast. I probably just barely above the melting point, ~140 degrees I think. So far getting the wax to at least 250 degrees has worked much better.

It is on an electric stovetop, but still... I know, I have to find a bit better way to do it.
Jyri Haveri

Post by Jyri Haveri »

My friend has smaller electrical stove and he takes that out when he waxes them. I dont see any problem using electrical stove.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Ethan - the chance of fire is very slight. Wax isn't really flammable. 225-250 is about optimal. Anything more and you will cook your whip, like I have. I use a large turkey roaster in my garage with no issues. Try wiping down your whip with a clean rag right after you take it out of the pan, while it's still hot. If you end up with chunks, either hit it with a hair dryer or put it in a hot car (with some kind of plastic under it) during the summer. Also, try to make sure that when you hang it to dry that it is straight and not bent, at least that is what I prefer.

I always wax the fall and sometimes even the cracker with no ill effects. Worst case you will have some chunks that turn white as you break it in, but they will even out with time.
If I can't run fast, I'll make slow look impressive.
"By the power of ibuprofen!"
Jyri Haveri

Post by Jyri Haveri »

Craig, good to know! I was little bit of worried about it.
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Ethan, I pretty much do it like Craig does, except I usually try to keep the wax around 200F (93.3C) I bought a roaster at Wal-Mart on sale for 19.00USD that I just leave the wax in. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-20 ... 16&veh=sem
"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

I too bought a turkey roaster at 22 qt. it handles whips with a 12" handle well.
I think it's about as big as they come without going commercial.
It does take a substantial amount of time for the wax to melt and get up to 235 to 250 f but it's worth it. It does a great job. And like Mark, I leave the wax in it.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Ethan, have an old towel handy when you wax. When you pull the whip out, while it is hot ( I do it as I trail the whip out of the wax) pull the whip through the towel to soak up extra wax. Pinch the fall as you towel it as well. Pull the whip through the towel a couple of times while its very hot. You won't have excess wax and your fall won't be full of wax.

I also have a very large double boiler situation for my wax. It's never in contact with my stove and can't get too hot. It's a Booyah pot with a wash tub that sits on top. Water in the booyah pot, wax in the tub.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Post by Brandon "Sparky" Lam »

Ethan, I have to give a word of warning. Please be careful with wax! While wax itself has a flash point of 200C (390F), since you're doing it on the stove, any drips can easily get to that temperature.
I once accidentally dripped the paraffin wax onto the flame, and the entire tub caught fire. Thank god I was there to put it out - my dad tried to put it out with water! (which can cause an explosion due to oil and water flame physics).

It is actually quite easy to accidentally set it on fire if you're not careful, so please exercise safety, and keep an eye on the wax and make sure it doesn't go past 250F!
(Sorry, as the resident fire guy I'm quite worried about fire safety and everything haha)

On another note, your whips are looking good! I can't give you many more tips, but if the fall has absorbed wax it'll be ok - through cracking it'll round off and be really smooth :)
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Craig Frank

Post by Craig Frank »

Ok, I take back what I said.
If I can't run fast, I'll make slow look impressive.
"By the power of ibuprofen!"
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Yep thosefumes can catch fire as well...

I wax outdoors where it is easier to.put.out, I find the wax is not wicked into the whip u til above 220 at least... Ideally 250-265. Now, I'm watching it like a hawk at that temp.
And there's a firefighter in residence.....

;)
Inch by inch.
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Post by Brandon "Sparky" Lam »

I'm sorry Craig if I was a bit forward, I just really wanted to make sure people are safe.

Rachel, you are definitely correct. In most cases, it's not actually the fuel that is burning, it is actually the fumes coming off of the fuel that burn, if I remember correctly?

I also use a turkey roaster, but that took me weeks of searching to find one - there has literally only been one turkey roaster (larger than 5qt) that was every sold in Australia, and it was a one off sale. Pretty insane :O
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Rachel McCollough
Member of the Ring

Post by Rachel McCollough »

Hey Brandon! I believe so... I can only base my (limited!) knowlege on what my husband has told me.

Ethan, you are doing a great job.
Inch by inch.
Roy Partin
C Member

Post by Roy Partin »

I agree with Rachel on getting it above the 250*F mark. Just have a thermometer on hand. I have been waxing on a gas stove top for many years. Much care needs to be taken though. A large and deep pot is your safest bet. I just have to ladle the wax onto bullwhip handles
He died for me, I'll live for him
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Well, it appears I need to up the temp a bit, then.
"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White
Sir Roger Tuson

Post by Sir Roger Tuson »

I run at about 125C which is a little over 250F. I concur with Jessie about wiping down the whip as it comes out of the bath - works a treat. Also, one other thing - I've not done it yet but from now I will be putting a large piece of cardboard at the bottom of my tray as I have discovered some marks on the waxed whip that have clearly overheated due to being right above the burner. I reckon a piece of card will eliminate this without affecting the waxing.
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

I have also been " hot rolling" the whips right after I wipe them off as Jessie suggest.
It seems to help with flattening the strands and making the thong rounder, but I'm not sure it's really worth it.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Ethan Mitchell

Post by Ethan Mitchell »

Wow, thanks guys!
Jessie,
I've been wiping them down as I pull them out of the wax.

Rachel,
The temp was about 280F if I remember right. So I'm good on that account, maybe a bit to much...

Roger,
I avoided the whip getting burnt by moving the parts over the burner around a bit every now and then.

I'll make sure to be careful!

Return to “Whips (+++ public thread +++)”