Black and Tan Fantasy

Le'me see... Whips, whips and - whips!
Brandon "Sparky" Lam

Post by Brandon "Sparky" Lam »

Mark, that whip looks amazing! I love the pattern you've done near the transition!~
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Mark, this roohide whip looks splendid and your video shows how great it flows - my compliments to your work!

All the best
Ben
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

The taper is really nice. And it seems to be a bit heavy. Which is good in my book. It rolls out nice, but something's puzzling me when it comes down at the circus crack. I was tempted to write "irritated" me, but in the meantime I know better :)

Serious - something in the way it behaves at the end of that crack made me wonder. I may have to look at the video a few times more. I already downloaded it to my computer, so I can watch it offline. Well, I do that with the 20/20 videos, too. That way I can study them when ever I want. Here I am not sure, if it's a slight turn of your writs that makes the whip do what it does or if it's the weight distribution. We'll see.

Aside of that - my compliments!

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Flemming Bo Christiansen

Post by Flemming Bo Christiansen »

I like the colors of your whip. In the video it looks like it is to the heavy side and long too.

Unfortunately I can not hadle such whip due to my shoulders , but I like the slow motion it is possible to achieve with a whip like that.
Today is a good day
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Mark Elliott wrote: I'm not sure why I was holding it so far up the handle, I usually don't.
Mark, my 'instinct' is that you're holding the whip like that because the handle is slightly too long for the thong. My own preference would be for a 10 inch (maximum) handle for an 8 foot thong. (I've got one 8-footer with a 12 inch handle, but it's much thinker and heavier than this whip.) But this is very subjective....

That said, it's gorgeous! I've always loved black-and-tan work, and we see all too little of it these days.... Well done! :)
'Less is often more!'
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

What a beautiful whip, Mark. Wonderful
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Thank you Spardy and Ben and Flemming. As you can see Flemming it is a bit heavy for me as well. I have arthritis in my wrists and the length of time I cracked it in the video was taxing.

Thank you Robby, and any insights to improve my handling or building would be more than welcome.

Robert, I am still experimenting a lot with my whip building, but so far I agree with you, 12 inches is too long for the handle for me personaly and I agree with you that it may have caused the awkward grip.

Thank you Jessie, that means a lot coming from someone that builds such beautiful whips.
"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White
Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott »

Thank you also Sven and Ethan.
"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White

Return to “Whips (+++ public thread +++)”