Figure 8 combinations 2/14/2017 to 2/24/2017

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Excellent. Good to hear pal :)
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Russell, you really have improved. You look more relaxed. I notice that you sometimes turn your head to the right, to look at the whip. If you can avoid doing do that, and simply try to feel the whip, I think you'll become even more relaxed! :)
'Less is often more!'
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Johnny, I'm very glad your hand is healing!
'Less is often more!'
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Thank you Robert!

I find not turning my head after doing a crossover going into a reverse circus crack almost impossible for some reason.

It's a bad habit that I have picked up while learning that transition.
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Time to revisit the 10/10. I was trying to think about the swiveling handle while doing the fast figure 8 this time.
https://youtu.be/88YxeRChwH4
Sven van Leeuwen

Post by Sven van Leeuwen »

To me, that looks pretty good.
I'm actually impressed to see you do this with what appears to be a rather long whip.

I have no experience with long whips, but I got the feeling it's not easy.

Well done Russel.

Sven
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Russel, that's looking good to me.
How did you work the swiveling handle into the crack and did you find that it helped?

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Very good job Russell!
When you are doing the swivel, it almost looks like a "slow motion scene" in your video (due to the fact that you are using a long whip for practicing). the swivel looks very controlled to me and I can imagine that such a long whip is less forgiving than a 6 footer - yet you've nailed it - congratulations!

All the best
Ben
Geoffrey Tucker

Post by Geoffrey Tucker »

Very nice Russell...
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Hi and thanks guys.

Ron When attempting this I tried to think about the principles of the SHM by relaxing my hand just after the snap of the first circus crack then lightly rotating the whip in a smooth twisting motion - kind of like a drill bit helix, as I am bringing it back for the reverse circus to where the whip feels that it's "with the curve" then I snap it forward.
When I am bringing it forward I then relax again so the whip is with the curve for another circus crack or FF8 as I am bringing it back up.

It seemed helpful. It felt like I was more in tune with the whip, I was feeling less resistance.
I also noticed the whip thong looks tighter and straighter in the plane, and also doesn't wobble near as much as when I usually do it. (Like a wet noodle) ;)

It felt like I was onto something
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Russel, I do think you are on to something.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Thanks for that Ron :)

I'll practice it until it's committed to muscle memory and then I can maybe refine it some more.

Cheers :)
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Russell, I do feel the same when incoorperating the swiveling motion into whip cracking techniques. It takes a lot less efford/force to get the whip to crack and the entire action feels a lot more smooth to me.

All the best
Ben
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Hi Ben, I agree mate, I also like the way it guides you perfectly to prepare the next crack.

I did some more FF8 practice and felt like rather than hitting a zenith with this technique it is very much still evolving.
I'm refining rotating and changing curves. Pushing some boundries in those areas. It's not quite there yet though.
I liked the way yours looked in the 20/20 Lesson I & II Challenge, nice shape and curve.

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”