Changing hands on the Crossover Crack 06/10/2017-06/20/2017

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Thank's Sven :) !

It does feel like a little step backwards to me compared to yesterdays practice (and the 10 crack combo practice in the past) but that won't encourage me. Step back days are normal for me in terms of whipcracking and I know that I will make progress as long as I keep on practicing on a regular bases :)

All the best
Ben
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Ben, I think step back days are almost required in order to progress to the next level.
It is also a sign that you realized it was a step back, which means you are getting good enough to recognize that.
Good job.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Thank's Ron :) !

As I have alreday mentioned -todays practice didn't feel that good to me, but that's not a big deal.
I wear shorts like these quiet often during summer - there are a lot of lakes in my area and I realy like a spontaneous swimming seesions during a bicycle tour.
Your practice video looks awesome as usual - effordless, smooth and controlled - my compliments to your Ron!

All the best
Ben
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

You're doing just fine. Ron & Ben. The only advice, I can give you here, is to go on and practice. I know that this is challenging. But practicing is the only way to improve. And one more thing... There is no thing like a step back. There is no such thing as "bad" practice session. There is only practicing or no practicing. Answer me that: If you throw a stone into a little stream, what does the water? Stop flowing?

Robby
I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Thank you Robby, I realy like the stone in the water analogy - a stream can form entire canyons because of the steady flowing water!

All the best
Ben
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

Precisely. The stone won't stop the water from flowing. It will just flow around the stone.
And go on.

Robby
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Absolutely Robby.
Being able to see and know what you are doing wrong is a good sign that you are improving.

Ron
Robby Amper

Post by Robby Amper »

You got it, Ron. Only he who knows can see what he does not know.

Robby
Jessie Edwards

Post by Jessie Edwards »

Ugh. Several Yoda. It's an epidemic.
Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap.
~Management
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Nine cracks? Better get out there straight away :)
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Nice video Ron. As always you look calm and have a nice touch. Sven I like your finesse and the angles you are trying to achieve. Its very nice. and Ben I'm very impressed with how you can do the combo fairly fluently with both hands, that is great mate.

Trying to nail the second crossover (opposite hand) has been like building from ground zero for me. I can kind of do the circus crack and the opposite horizontal crack with my opposite hand only so this exercise helps highlight the importance of learning to use both hands. This afternoon I managed to finally have a bit of confidence to relax the left shoulder a bit and got more cracks than usual so I am hoping I am improving.
I'll have to do a video tomorrow :)
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Russel, relaxing is certainly key in good form.
That's definitely the sign of improving.
Good job.

Ron
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Progress has been a mixed bag thus far for me on this one.
I have tried many approaches to it, trying to think about and emulate every movement and the correct timing for adequate execution.
Right now I am in this phase where I seem to hit a purple patch. I think I am getting somewhere and my body has found the right zone, then after a short break I seem to be back to square one.

I have broken it down to practicing an opposite hand crossover only as this one is the hardest for me.

Looking forward to more practice this evening.
Cheers
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Russel, I believe breaking down a combination to it's singular parts is a great way of learning them.
Reaching a plateau happens to all of us. It's a sign of progression.

Ron
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Thanks Ron.
I can see at least for me this technique in particular, a lot of patience is required for that rewarding payoff you feel when you succeed. Problem is I kind of crave it ;) I guess that's why I love whip cracking a lot, even though there's constant room for improvement, there's also that feeling you get when crossing that final hurdle, and accomplish something you work to achieve. Then you can climb another mountain so to speak.

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”