The Cairo Crack from 3/17/17 to 3/26/17

At the request of the members, the 10/10 challenge has its own section now. Every 10 days a new thread will be opened for that particular exercise.
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Hi guys, thanks for the comments. This one was good fun :)
Hey Matt, nice whip cracking! Thanks for sharing your clip. I know it can be hard sometimes to get the right angle.
I could see enough to notice you have very good foundations in good technique :)
Always a pleasure to watch your videos too Ron :)
Cheers :)
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

My compliments to your whipcracking Russell, Ron, and Matt !!!

Russell, your technique looks awesome and you did a great job in reenacting the Cairo scene !!!

Ron, your practice has been as smooth, controlled, effordless and fluid as always - great job !!!

Matt, your technique looks very good on both the underhand and the Cairo crack - well done !!!

As some of you might now I've been visiting Robby yesterday and he had shared an inside story of the Cairo crack with me: The iconic "crossover" step hadn't been planned in the script of the movie. Harrison Ford did this step to avoid falling down during the shooting of this scene.

I apologize that I haven't shoot a video of yesterdays practice as I've anounced and I will make up for that today !!!

All the best
Ben
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Ben, I've long been convinced that Harrison Ford might be a good actor, but he's never been an expert whip-handler! He just managed to make it look good for the camera! :)
'Less is often more!'
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Thank you Russell and Ben :). It's hugely encouraging to have such good feedback, and I've come on a lot thanks to it.

My next whip project is going to be a lighter cow whip in the style of Rachel's Amper Style. I don't like to blame my whips, but I feel like I know exactly what I want from a whip now I've handled a few so if I get it right my technique will be even better. Nothing beats solid practice, though :P.
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Robert, I agree with you but I think Mr. Ford did an excellent job considering the fact that he just trained whipcracking as part of his job as an actor.

Matt, I'm looking forward to see your Wolf Creek Whip's Amper Style cow whip !!!

Todays practice has been terrible compared to the other days of my practice (including yesterday's practice while I was visiting Robby).
Here is a video of todays practice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhMN8Sk ... e=youtu.be

I got more of a "pffff" than a crack but for me personaly using to much power and speed have been my worst habbits in terms of whipcracking - I'd rather have a "pffff" practice than going back to these bad habbits :)

All the best
Ben
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Hi Ben, thanks for sharing your video!
You Cairo Crack looks good to me. I had a little trouble getting a decent crack out of the circus crack variation too.
Once you figure out how to form the loop with a little wrist action it all falls into place.
Overpowering and speed are my bad habits too.
I did perform the crack initially without it, but after a few days I felt justified in using some artistic license for this particular challenge!
Good work :)
Hey Matt I look forward to seeing your cow whip!
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Looks good to me Ben, although you could do with bringing the whip across your body as you form the loop, which helps it spring off to the off-side :).

The cow whip might not be here for a while people, stay tuned.
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Ron May

Post by Ron May »

Ben, I thought that was very controlled.
Good easy pace.
Nice job.

Ron
It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Thank you Russell, I will pay attention to my wrist action on my next Cairo crack practice.
I like the fact that you have used artitic license for this challenge - it looks very screen accurate !!!

Matt, thank you very much for your advise - I will try to bring the whip across my body while the loop is forming on my Cairo crack practice in the future !!!

Thank you Ron !!!

All the best
Ben
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

No worries Ben, although I still don't feel qualified enough to give proper advice :P
'Sic Parvis Magna'
Russell Jones

Post by Russell Jones »

Me either really, I'm very much a beginner but I like to try and help :)
Ben Varsek

Post by Ben Varsek »

Matt, Russell, there is no reason to worry about beeing qualified enough to give advice to others. This challenge is all about helping one another and your comments have always helped me a lot - thank both of you very much for that !!!

All the best
Ben
Robert Gage
C Member

Post by Robert Gage »

Ben Varsek wrote:Matt, Russell, there is no reason to worry about being qualified enough to give advice to others. This challenge is all about helping one another....
Very well said, Ben! We're all learners here!
'Less is often more!'
Matt Henderson

Post by Matt Henderson »

Well said Ben, thanks for your confidence :)
'Sic Parvis Magna'

Return to “The 10/10 Challenge”