Re: More Whips of H.Rutherford

Here is #17.  14p overlay, 10p belly, 6/12 strands paracord core, 12-1/2" oak handle with gold thread ferrule.  this ended up 6'4" and is fun to crack.  I made a cracker of 5 strands of spectra fishing line which worked pretty good. I should mention I will be looking for another method for heating wax because a barbeque is dangerous.  My son stopped by and asked why my barbeque was shooting out flames. I got occupied doing something else. Was still able to wax the thong once the wax cooled down from over 450 deg. F.  The barbeque was well away from the building, but no, I won't do that again.

https://i.postimg.cc/1t5jkVbK/IMG-0991.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/pL82c3tB/IMG-0989.jpg

Another very elegant litle whip!  I like the slightly bigger 'bulge' in the handle - and you can never go wrong with an all-black thong!  smile

Please try not to set fire to anything!

'Less is often more!'

This looks great.
I like the taper on the barrel. Very distinct.
I think I could pick this one out to be yours out of a line up of whips.

Ron

It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

Beautiful whip, Hayes. Your handles are fantastic.

"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White

Beautiful whip, very neatly done!  The handle really shines, and makes this a complete package.  It is a stand out.

Inch by inch.

Hayes that a beautiful whip, I really love your handle designs smile

Yes I wear a hat, no my names not Indiana Jones...........

Thanks so much!  You guys are very encouraging.  In my trade with Mark, I instantly liked the taper on his handle, I  went 2-1/8" deep, and using a standard machinist bit, it leaves a 60 deg. angled point that works well with the shape of the loops of paracord. Another direction was to leave a flat on the end for stamping.  I was too lazy to actually machine an aluminum ferrule for the socket so tried the thread but there will be more machined ones in the future.

I liked #17 so much, I immediately made another.  I refined my notes a little, shortening a few lengths and it came out very close.    I did not immerse the thong in hot wax, but applied Anchor seal to both the belly, then the overlay.  After it dried, I cracked it for abot 15 minutes,  took a stiff brush to any loose wax, then followed up with black shoe polish.  I'm ok with  the supple leathery feel it ended up with.  Oak handle- 12-1/2" with aluminum ferrule and "dark walnut" Brie Wax.

https://i.postimg.cc/QdQ74wWP/IMG-1004.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/63bz6qwF/IMG-1005.jpg

Again, very nice.

Ron

Hayes, the black shoe polish seems to work very well - but will it rub off?  Another fine whip!

'Less is often more!'

Hayes another great looking whip with a beautiful handle smile I'm with Robert though I'm concerned about the shoe polish rubbing off...... Keep us posted on the outcome.

Yes I wear a hat, no my names not Indiana Jones...........

Looks great, love the handles!

Practice does not actually make perfect; Perfect practice makes perfect.

It's so good to see you Andrew. smile

Ron

Hi, Andrew!  smile

'Less is often more!'

Thank you all for taking the time. 

I've put brown shoe polish on a couple of dark brown whips and really like it.  First a stiff dry brush in an effort to remove any grime that wants to come off, then just polish like you would a quality leather shoe.  Probably would not look good on light colors, but adds a bit of protection that can be renewed.  I'm not worried at all about the black polish on a black whip.

What beautiful whips, Hayes!  I’m so sorry I’ve been gone so long.  I missed out on some great talent here

Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap. 
                                                                                    ~Management

More beautiful work.  I have one of his whips with the Anchor Seal, but I don't think it was polished. The whip has a very nice feel to it and flows nicely. It's become one of two whips I carry in my truck to play with whenever th mood strikes. The other is one of the first  stockwhips I made, that is sort of lumpy but cracks so easily it seem like an extension of my arm.

Thanks Jesse and Mark,  I'm happy to hear I have truck whip status!! I never leave home without one!  One thing I like about the Anchorseal is you can quickly apply some to each layer.  I hope you try brushing it and polish with some good floor wax or shoe polish.  I like the look and feel and think it is good maintenance.

Hayes, YOu've convinced me, I'll give it a try.

Here is number 19.  Almost a repeat of 18.  There is "rust" strand, but otherwise the same.  I have become exponentially faster because of less thought on what to do next.  12 strands staggered core, 10p belly, 14p overlay.  6'-4" thong.  My favorite size at this point in my journey.  Maybe not quite heavy for a slow dramatic roll out, but light enough to practice for a 1/2 hour or so without killing my wrists and shoulders. 

https://i.postimg.cc/gJV4F8ZS/IMG-1012.jpg