Topic: Speed Plaiting?

Just found this video by April Choi. Looks interesting although my head is spinning from just watching...I‘ll never ever try to make a whip, but this might be interesting to the makers here? I don’t know, but I thought I‘d share it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zcoKLvBQwjw

Re: Speed Plaiting?

Actually, that's pretty much how we all do it, more or less. She's not plaiting very tight, more of the Adam W. school of hybrid whips style (I'm not criticizing, just making a point,) and she's near the end of the whip so that the strands are not nearly so hard to manage. I don't keep the strands nearly that organized, I just untangle them every so often. Jennifer is a fantastic performer and whip maker, so I don't mean this to be negative in any way.

Also, I cannot sit that way anymore. Just watching her makes my hips and knees raise hell.

"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White

Mark, I agree about the working position. I could do it but the break times would make the build process quite lengthy.

I too didn't see any "pull tight" of the "pull tight, plait loose" mantra of plaiting stressed by so many whip makers. But she is a good performer and I too am not being negative about it in any way. There are as many methods and styles of making as there are makers. That's one of the reasons that every whip is different in it's own way. That's also true if the whips are made by the same maker.

Thanks for posting Wolfgang.

Ron

It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

Here's what she say's about "tight plaiting"
I don't like tight whips. They are too slow for me. I like speed cracking and combos. Also, Nylon whips stiffen over time, so you should start loose and it'll tighten up. For Leather, the reverse is true. So start tight, then it'll loosen.

This is what she says is under the overlay.
It's 5 layers of Nylon rope followed by 2 layers of athletic tape, nylon thread, then 2 more layers of athletic tape.

https://i.imgur.com/WGKr5Y5.jpg

Definitely along the lines of the AW school of whip making.

Ron

Thanks Mark and Ron, although I don’t understand much about whipmaking my first thought actually was „interesting, I wonder if this might be considered „not very tight plaiting“ by the WB folks. But as expected that’s due to preference and style of whipcracking.
Ron, I find your second post most interesting - do you have a link to these quotes of her? The „Nylon stiffens over time“ quote is basically what Adam Winrich said in his new video which we discussed just days ago. The only thing that changes with my nylon whips is...NOTHING. If anything, they get a little bit more broken in, but not very much.

It's hard to tell if there's any bellies under the overlay, but it appears that it's just the multilayered core covered by  layered hockey tape and a little binding, then the overlay.
Personally I would not construct a whip with this methodology. But that's just my personal preference.

Speed plaiting and speed cracking seem to be on the same mindset.
I'm not so sure that's a good thing.

Wolfgang, her quotes come from the replies below her YouTube post of the video.

Ron

Ouch, when I posted the video here I only saw 11 comments... wink
I have not checked for updates since them. So the tight plaiting thing is a direct reply on your question  - Thank you, Ron!

Wolfgang - look at post 24 in this thread:

http://www.whip-basics.com/forum/viewto … 38&p=2

Today is a good day

Flemming, I already have and completely agree wink
I would like to add a question here: Is there REALLY a difference in loud speedcracking and combos on the one hand and slow, finesse cracking on the other? I think the latter is the foundation of the former. Doing two handed staggered four corners or queensland crossover with high speed is never going to work without precision and accuracy i.e. finesse. wink

Wolfgang - I have given the loose plaiting a second opinion. Due to the behavior of a nylon-rope for sailboats I think the plaiting will get tighter during time as Mr. Winrich says.

But you are more into speed cracking than I am, so why don't you as Nadine to construct such a light weighted whip with a rope-core and try this construction for yourself.

According your last question. Why try to combine two different techniques with two different goals.
Try to look at the Italian and Australian whipcrackers. They do the two-handed overhead cracks in a different way, than the would do if there was lots of time. Therefore the overhead crack gets anything but horizontal. But does that really matter if the goal is something else e.g. making the cracks in a certain speed to e.g. a Polka ???

I think it is only a matter of preference and your personal goal with your whipcracking hobby.

Today is a good day

Flemming, very nice and articulate response. Being unfamiliar with sailboats, can you explain what you mean about nylon rope?

“Trust your own instinct. Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else’s.” ~Billy Wilder

Collin, it is a nylon rope wirh a core, that can be removed just like in paracord. It you put a fingee in the hollow rope and pyll the other end it tighten around your finge and releases when you loosen the tension

Today is a good day