Re: New Adam Winrich Video (interesting)

He uploaded a video to instagram where he finishes the whip and he doesn't pull at all.
"it will get tight when it gets paraffin bath" he says.

I'd be interested to know how hot he runs his paraffin bath if he is relying on that to tighten his paracord. Perhaps he is cranking the heat to the point the fibres really do begin to contract? If so, I don't like it one little bit, anything which changes the nylon like that is going to make it more brittle as well...

Practice does not actually make perfect; Perfect practice makes perfect.

Andrew, there ya go.
He can fast crack a whip like no one's business, but as a whip maker... not so much.

Ron

It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

Mr. Winrich is an artist and very talented.  I hear he is a really nice guy.  He knows his business... And makes whips accordingly. 
Nothing wrong with that. 

I make a different kind of whip for a completely different field; it would not do for me to say how he should build a whip, or for him to say how I should build a whip.  What he does works for him.

While I may see some points differently (no plaiting around no core, no guts in the cord left in the whip!), I in no way would ever tell him that my way is better or the only way.  It is just different.

Learn everywhere you can, and choose your own path and style.

Inch by inch.

Well put, Rachel.

"Always be on the lookout for the presence of wonder." -E. B. White

Rachel, exactly! He is making whips based on how he wants them to perform, not how we think they should be made.

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious."
- Albert Einstein

Rachel, wise beyond your years smile I heard something actually that rings true this weekend I will forever remember...everybody says there's 1,000 ways to skin a cat, but first you have to kill the cat; meaning before you judge, you need to get your hands dirty and try. Morbid, but true...and a hard learned lesson myself included.

“Trust your own instinct. Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else’s.” ~Billy Wilder

Nicely put Rachel & Collin!

I'll give it a try, Dad, but it's going to be really hard...kind of like trying to saw something in half using a banana.

Almost forgot about this one, but when I first saw this I thought: Is this really how he builds whips for himself?!
When we met him in Hamburg I think he said something like „I practice 7 hours a day“. This is what I do in 3 weeks (!) during summer. If he practices for several hours every day the mechanical stress and wear and tear he puts on his whips must be a manifold of what we hobby-crackers do.
Considering this, I don’t think he would be building whips that won’t last for a while...
(But as you all, I just don’t get what he means with paracord getting „tighter“)

Wolfgang,
True, is just another way of doing things. Plus, most of the whipmakers here are looking for drastically different characteristics in a whip than Adam. He is looking for light & fast, which I think is why he doesn't do "solid" plaited bellies ending in a TT, which due to density are heavier & stiffer. (At least that is my theory) While most of us here plait heavier and slower working/training style whips.

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious."
- Albert Einstein