Re: Andrew VW's Whip Builds and Whips thread.

Nice and straight.
Good job.

Ron

Yesterday I spotted an albino dalmatian.
It was the least I could do for him.

Looking clean!
Just remember to plait far enough from the vise so your strands can get tight.

Andrew Van Werkhoven wrote:

Found some time to work on the thong, practicing keeping my seam straight

And it does look super straight on the photo - good job! wink

Thanks smile Hopefully it remains nice after a good roll.

Practice does not actually make perfect; Perfect practice makes perfect.

Andrew Van Werkhoven wrote:

Thinking I might make turn myself a simple brushed stainless steel Concho for this one, keep it simple and elegant.

Andrew, for my money, 'simple and elegant' is almost always best!

'Less is often more!'

My biggest problem now is I don't want to give it away, haha. I think I may have to make one of a similar design for myself. Perhaps a 3 belly 9 footer, for a challenge.

Very nice work and I love the colour arrangement. I agree with Robert about the concho too. I need to get a few made up for myself. I've only found one place that sells conchos at a decent price but their stock is limited in suitability

Think for yourself, act for everyone.

Andrew making conchos from simple steel, brass, copper or any other steel is the way i am leaning as well. Smooth shiny steel has always been liked by homo sapiens big_smile
Only broblem i have had with the is mounting them flush and hard. I have figured out this problem now and i will make it happen once i get paracord.

Very nice! I really like those colors and hope clean the plaiting is!

“Trust your own instinct. Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else’s.” ~Billy Wilder

The two Brummel Splices I tested came out perfect, the one that counted fought me every step of the way, and has a weird little bulge sad

http://i.imgur.com/OZYwDG8l.jpg

Have you tryed to milk that bulge? It looks like its bunching up at the end if that is what you mean?
Crab the middle of it and milk it towards the end and hold the end wich is inside.

I make my core putting cords inside one another and that is common thing to happen.
If there is some spike etc in the end of the cord wich is inside it crabs the outhern layer and wont allow it to pass so the weawe bunches up.

Andrew, I really like those colors together.  You've made a nice choice!

Why did she fall? Her mass distorted space-time to produce the effect we know as gravity...

Thank you so much Scott, will have to see what they're like after waxing.  Emily reckons I should have put more Teal in, but I like it the way it is.

Jyri, I shall have a poke, but I think I see what I did, and it might be one of those better left as is things tbh.
Just trying to figure out ideas for the heel and transition knots, pondering just making them out of the Charcoal, not sure...

http://i.imgur.com/6OooksJl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pPnudbRl.jpg

And Ron, the person I made it for said I could break it in, so gave it a few careful cracks and am really happy with it, best so far (Well, since this is only my third, there is so much room for improvement it's not hard, haha).

Very nice looking whip Andrew.
A great third whip.
(full disclosure, I am not the Ron he made it for)

Ron

Yesterday I spotted an albino dalmatian.
It was the least I could do for him.

Andrew this is a beautiful whip nice job! I really like the colors.

Ron, I would try and petition for it if I were you wink

“Trust your own instinct. Your mistakes might as well be your own, instead of someone else’s.” ~Billy Wilder

Andrew, it looks very nice, more so since it so early in your career. One thing to watch out for is on the twist, as you drop strands for the taper, take care that the strand that still has 2 cords does not straighten out and the single cord strand wraps around it. You want them to both spiral equally. Beautiful whip. seams look great, taper is good, I don't see any gaps or lumps. Love the coler. Good job, sir.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Ahhh, grammatically, I am correct I believe though. (Ron, the person I made it for said I could...) As apposed to (Ron, the person I made it for, said I could...) The addition of the comma in the second sentence transfers ownership onto a Ron, the first sentence, the one I used, does not, isntead it simply addresses a Ron wink.

Thanks for the kind words smile Mark, the mistake I made was to slip the 3rd strand into the second as I dropped it, creating one strand that had no filler, and the other that did, which broke the twist.  I think next time I shall... Not sure, haha, will have to have a little think on that.

Really nice looking whip!  I always give a whip a crack before it goes out, except big white ones wink

Inch by inch.