Re: Whips by Ethan Mitchell

Ethan, I agree with Rachel: Number 12 is the one for me! It probably works very well, but aesthetically I think the thong on #12 could have more taper. (My ideal - harder to achieve with nylon than leather - is for the thong to end with almost the same diameter as the fall.)

Very nice work, Ethan. I kinda like the unstained handle.

Yes Robert, using nylon is harder to get a nice narrow tip but although I haven't tried it yet, I think the twisted taper style of ending a thong gets very close.

Think for yourself, act for everyone.

Roger, I think that's right. It's certainly true of the whip made by Rachel that I've got....

Thanks everyone!
Rachel,
Thank you! As far as looks I like it very much. It is actually a decent little target whip. I need to get a target stand set up...
Mr. Robert,
Thanks! Technically it is #11b as I just reused the thong. Sorry if I was a bit confusing there. smile I was inspired by Erik Torpström, who ended his stock whip with a six point, and I had been interested to see how the thicker tip would effect performance.

Whether you can or you can't you are probably right.

Hey guys!
I am finally joining you in the world of plaiting with 275 cord! I am currently on the first belly in 20 plait. The handle is a 3/8th" fiberglass rod from Roy. It ends slightly after where the irregular herringbone plaiting stops.
http://i.imgur.com/fN2ayqJl.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/gNtBs0Ol.jpg
It will be a 7ft single belly bullwhip with a 8" handle. I used 550 for the core because I wanted to build a single belly whip to start with, but the rest will be 275 cord.
Sheesh this tiny stuff sure is fiddly!

Thats a lot of work big_smile
It is fiddly and it will eat your skin fast.
Looking forward for this!

Ya, I think I have finally found one good use for electrical tape in whipmaking... on your fingers! Not in the whip! smile

Ethan Mitchell wrote:

Ya, I think I have finally found one good use for electrical tape in whipmaking... on your fingers! Not in the whip! smile

Ha!  smile

I like the conical, simple yet very practical shape of that handle. And a thicker cup is better than one which is too thin. How does the whole thing behave when it is set in motion?

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

Thanks Robby! It is my favorite whip that I have made so far. It does have one difference to a traditional cowwhip, the cup fits the thong tightly. The thong can only move slightly one way or the other when in my hands, making it quite accurate. I'll see if I can get a video. Im not too great at explaining this... smile

Here is a video of it in action:
https://youtu.be/j34CET1c6PU

Ethan, it looks to me anyway to flow quite nicely. Well done!

Yeah, that's awful close, but that's not why I'm so hard done by...

Ethan, I agree with Scott. It move well. Good job!

This looks really smooth and easy...very relaxed cracking style!

Wow, it´s rollout is fantastic, very well done, Ethan!

Run, you clever boy
...and be a Doctor!

Good work, Ethan!

The thong has a fantastic flow and it seems to be very responsive at the same time!

All the best
Ben

Well done Ethan! I echo the other comments. Nice relaxed cracking.

He died for me, I'll live for him

It behaves nicely! Well done Ethan!

Thanks everyone! I am considering making myself a matched set of 6' cowwhips rather than the bullwhips that had been on my to-make list. But, first things first, I need to complete the whips I am working on.

Looks Great, Ethan.

"Gee, Brain, what do you wanna do today?" -Pinky