Topic: The "Making of" Gallery - Giovanni Celeste

In this thread, Giovanni will post his making of pictures. The finished whip will be presented in the Makers and Masters Gallery. If you have questions on materials, braiding, patterns and what ever... Post it here!. If you like to comment on a finished whip... Post it here. The Galleries will be only what they're called - Galleries.

When you are exited on something - post it here. If you like to say how much you like something - or not - post it here. All comments which are made in the respective Masters Gallery will be simply deleted. The galleries will be like an exhibition. The whip, the art, the name of the whip. Not more. If you want to say something... You know where to post, right?

Thank you for your cooperation!

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

Re: The "Making of" Gallery - Giovanni Celeste

BULLWHIP
4FT
12 PLT
PATTERN: Fantasy

Hello everyone,
I have the pleasure of opening this new gallery with a story.
I believe it deserves to be told the story about the choice of the pattern on the handle of this whip.
At first I had chosen the "Solid Band" 16 plait present in the Ron Edwards's book.
My initial intent was to reproduce the same pattern in 12 strands instead of 16.
So after several attempts I asked to Rachel McCollough if she ever made this pattern in 12 strands instead of 16.
At the end after a funny and nice race between Rachel and me (won at the end by her) to reach the right sequence, I realized that my mistake had created this new pattern.
So I decided to show it to Rachel and she also agreed to use this last pattern on the whip.
This story tells once again about Rachel's skill and talent
I'd like to thank Rachel McCollough for her help and her very important advice.

So here a few pics of this whip.
Thans in advance
Gio

4ft BULLWHIP 12 PLT brandy with Fantasy pattern on the handle and engraved brass plate

http://giovanniceleste.it/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/IMG_20180125_103734-1.jpg

Close up on the handle

http://giovanniceleste.it/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/IMG_20180125_104015-1.jpg

http://giovanniceleste.it/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/IMG_20180125_103954-1.jpg

http://giovanniceleste.it/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/IMG_20180125_103815-1.jpg

http://giovanniceleste.it/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/IMG_20180125_104537-1.jpg

Engraved brass plate

http://giovanniceleste.it/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/IMG_20180125_103744-1.jpg

"Perfection has to be sought never reached. This is the only way to inspire and motivate creativity".               www.giovanniceleste.it

Beautiful work, Gio - as always  smile  The plaiting on the handle is intriguing! Unusual, but very good looking. Taper, the knots - great work, Gio. On the first look - a simple whip. On the second look - a real masterpiece.

Robby

Nice Gio.
Great collaboration Rachel.
A combination of pure talent.

Ron

When you can say, " That was close." you're doing ok.

Great whip Gio! Pattern is very interesting!

Fantastic, Gio! And what a great collaboration with Rachel!

This is a perfect example, that real pros - real masters - are not jealous of each other, but work together happily.
That is the best of all in my opinion.

Robby

Beautiful work Gio, the handle is fantastic.

And I think to myself, *What a wonderful world!"-Bob Thiele

Thank you all for your kind feedback, i'm very glad you like it!!!
It was a great example of what may happen when two whipmakers working togheter about the same target!
Sometimes many things happen by chance of a wonderful collaboration between colleagues.

"Perfection has to be sought never reached. This is the only way to inspire and motivate creativity".               www.giovanniceleste.it

Yes this whip is great! I like the "fantasy" pattern. But.... you got to name it! smile

Great teamwork! Like Robby said, not jealousy, but teamwork to benefits from it together.

I really like your whips Gio.

Sven

Gio, my friend, this is an outstanding and beautifully unique whip!  The pattern on the handle really is striking! 
The knots show your care and endless search for perfection in your work; every detail is so well done!

I love it!

Thank you very much, Gio, I appreciate that kindness and thought so much.  It is my pleasure to contribute in any way!  It was a lot of fun! 
You are a master at your work, Gio.  It shows in your art and your character.
...and that heel knot.... big_smile

Inch by inch.

Thank you again guys for your important feedback.
Swen i thake the advantage of your suggestion to give the name of this pattern.
In honor of our friendship I'll call this pattern "The Rachel Braid"
I think that it is the right name i can't see any option!!

Robby nailed it - masters working together to advance the art is a positive sum game and we all benefit.

Common sense is now so uncommon that it should be officially reclassified as a super power...

The Rachel Braid! Perfect.

And I think to myself, *What a wonderful world!"-Bob Thiele

Giovanni Celeste wrote:

Thank you again guys for your important feedback.
Swen i thake the advantage of your suggestion to give the name of this pattern.
In honor of our friendship I'll call this pattern "The Rachel Braid"
I think that it is the right name i can't see any option!!

Gio, I'm very deeply moved by that honor, I do not have the words to properly describe....
Thank you.   Thank you very much, my friend.

Inch by inch.

Nice job Gio! If I had the money this would be the (leather) whip of my choice!

I used to think the brain was the most important organ. Then I thought, look what’s telling me that.

Hello Rachel my dear friend, I was very pleased to give your Name on this new pattern.
You was so kind to support me during my various attempts. :-)
Thanks again for your your words.
Dear Ethan, thank you so much for your kind comment.
What can I say is when you are ready It will be for me more than an honor to make your leather whip.
Again thanks
Gio

This is so great.  If necessity is the mother of invention, then happy accidents are the father.  Now you have a unique never-before seen pattern that is all yours.  It's also very cool that Rachel gets to be the name.  I think we can all lift each other up. We should.  This is exactly how we wil break the stereotypes associated with whips and make it a beautiful skillset, both on and off the stage.

If you fall, I'll be there.
                            ~Floor

Thanks so much Jessie.
What a beautiful metaphors and thoughts you wrote.

The Rachel Braid. Perfect. smile
Sven