Re: The Victorian Cutback

Russel, towards the end when you slowed down the Victorian it looked much better and relaxed. Mr. Robert's right. Even a deep breath and a count to only 5 would help relax your mood. I have found that mood also influences crackin'.

It's looking tons better mi amigo.

Ron

Yesterday I spotted an albino dalmatian.
It was the least I could do for him.

I'm sorry guys, I only just realised what you meant by having a pause in between.
I was in a rush because my phone was at 12% power when I started filming and I must have shot half a dozen attempts before this one.
I was feeling the pressure to get a half decent cut lol

In vino veritas

After this weekend and some extensive practice with the Victorian Cutback, I have to say no other whip technique so far has proven to me the importance of being relaxed and utilizing finesse more than this one.  It feels inescapable.

At first I have to say I was impatient to receive the pay off for my efforts to hear a crack, but this has been a more satisfying result.

I really like the Victorian Cutback too, I think it is a great technique smile

In vino veritas

Russell, that sounds like real progress! Well done!  smile

'Less is often more!'

Thanks Robert.

I made a little clip just now.  Still much refining to do but I am confident of being on the right track here smile

https://youtu.be/8vJS5daU5Fs

In vino veritas

Definitely on the right track! (But it could be even slower....)  smile

'Less is often more!'

Dude that crack is awesome. I have never tried it myself, this may be only the second time that I have seen it. I look forward to learning it just as soon as I get consistent on these other combos. Great job Thanks for sharing the videos.

Thanks Robert smile
Is there a part in particular that needs slowing  down, or everything overall do you think?

Thanks Johnny, Robby has a good video clip on youtube about how to do it, if you haven't seen it I think I linked it at the beginning of the thread

In vino veritas

Sorry Robby posted the clip (post #10)

In vino veritas

Love this crack, you're getting much better at it Rus smile. You're right about the relaxation, when I do it I feel like I just let the whip roll without much force on my part.

'Sic Parvis Magna'

Russel, you are getting so much better. The practice is definitely paying off.
The combo you did towards the end looked nice and a lot smoother.
Good job.

Ron

Russell, I'm no expert on this crack, but you might try making a tiny pause between bringing the whip up from behind and throwing it forward.

(I also notice your dog objecting to being shut in the house!  smile  )

'Less is often more!'

Thanks guys smile I'll keep chipping away

In vino veritas

Watching Robby's clip again, I was really impressed with how he managed to get 3 cracks out of one.

(Underhand / Cutback / Forward Crack)

At best I can fluke the first two at this stage but that level of skill is something i'm sure doesn't come easily and it's great to see the possibilities that can be opened up smile

In vino veritas

Things are really starting to click right now.
I'm managing to pull off fast figure 8 into a victorian cutback more or less regularly,   It feels like a very nice combo.
I've been doing a lot of practice isolating the Coachman's Crack too.
Progressing with your repertiore is very addictive, the challenge feels to be not to get ahead of one's self and keeping the foundations of the basics solid so that everything feels smooth.
I'm so hooked on whip-cracking I love it!

In vino veritas

It is addicting Russel.
Fortunately there is no cure.

Ron

I wish I had discovered this drug years ago Ron smile
It is a lot more rewarding smile

In vino veritas

It starts to work, hm? That's great! You know - if it would be easy, everybody could learn it in no time. But the more time, practice and patience it takes, the greater your personal reward will be in the end.

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

You're right Robby. Practice and patience smile
The technique I'm doing is by no means perfect to be sure. I might post a little clip.
I've done a lot of work on my fast figure 8 and have managed to slow it down a lot. I still have to glance at my hand while performing it though. I can't seem to pull it off while looking straight ahead, very annoying.

In vino veritas

For what it is worth, here it is.... unfortunately it was pretty late when I managed to get outside to film this and I tried artificially brightening it in YouTube Enhancements but it didn't come out as good as I had hoped.
I hope that you can see enough to notice the improvements I've made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_CHqdkNVmA

In vino veritas