Topic: The Victorian Cutback

Hi everyone.

I am trying to successfully perform the Victorian Cutback.  I see it as a very good whip crack to have in my repertoire.

I think that i'm getting there, but besides not really being able to achieve a crack, I still seem to be getting the fall wrap around my arm a lot.
The most frustrating learning curve about this crack seems to be unravelling the endless knots in my fall and cracker!

Here is a clip I took today of me attempting it.

https://youtu.be/rEqIYUN3D9Q

Sorry about the fence in the way and the quality.  I had to rest the camera on my car.

I hope it is good enough to say what I may be doing wrong.  I welcome all advice and criticism from you so I can finally cross the threshold and conquer another whip-crack.

Cheers smile

In vino veritas

Re: The Victorian Cutback

I just watched Robby's video again and I think I can see that my problem may lie in the way I roll my wrist and some minor timing issues (maybe rolling a little bit quickly)
Not 100% sure on that, but i'll have a go tomorrow after work I hope.

Would be nice to win the lottery so I could pay my bills and practice all day hehehe

In vino veritas

Russell, I can't quite see what you're actually doing (the fence, the poor light, and the energetic performance by the dog!) but I can see that the thong of the whip seems to wobble a lot in flight. You must be telling it to do that. If you can work out how you're sending that instruction, you'll be able to stop sending it - which may help!

'Less is often more!'

Russel, the last attempt seem better than some of the others.
It is hard to see exactly what's going on with the back lighting but I believe you are on the right track. The delivery is just as important as the wrist roll.
Also try not too do the underhand crack in the buildup to the Victorian. It might be killing the momentum of the thong before the wrist roll.
Thanks for sharing. We will definitely be covering this in the 10/10 challenge in the future.
Nice job.

Ron

Yesterday I spotted an albino dalmatian.
It was the least I could do for him.

Here we go. When the whip comes up under your arm and you should start to bring the whole thing upwards, you lower your ellbow  smile  That way you take away all the energy it needs to have a crack. The good thing: You are on the right way. You just have to realize that you go up in the air. Watch my video - there you will see that I bring my arm up. I kinda extend it up. Sorry for the strange explanation, but when it comes to these words, my vocabulary is very limited. But I hope you know what I mean. Not only Russel, by the way...!

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

Thank you very much gentlemen. I appreciate your feedback. I will be practising more tonight.
Robby I understand what you mean.
I have been lateral with the wrist roll.  I will try adding a bit of vertical movement to it.

Cheers smile

In vino veritas

It can be an embarrassing notion, when the simplest things can evade one's observations hehe
I do tend to over-complicate.

In vino veritas

I completely agree with Robby, and I would add that you're taking it very slow, which is very good. This crack cannot be learned by swinging the whip about like a maniac. It is a subtle and elegant crack, and you're well on your way.

Thank you Grant, I appreciate your input.  It's been a while, I hope that you are well smile

In vino veritas

Oh Russell - I am stupid and I completely mixed it up. I apologize for that, sorry, sorry, sorry... I saw your video and was in my mind completely on the Coachman's Crack. Perhaps (as lame excuse to myself) it had to do a bit with the camera angle and the dark picture...). Forget everything I wrote above. Just watch this WB tutorial video on the Victorian Cutback:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhGL53tfBcM

It's all about the Victorian cutback. In color and detail. What I wrote above was about the Coachman's Crack - again - sorry for the confusion.

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

That does make more sense.
Thanks for the correction Robby.

Ron

I, for one, am not sorry you did the coachman video.  I needed that one--to an extent, I like this tut better than in the WB videos.  Why it clicked with me in this video and not the professional ones, I don't know.  I don't question how my knowledge sinks in, I just grab it with both hands.  MINE! MY KNOWLEDGE!  MINE!  smile 

So there, no time wasted smile

Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap. 
                                                                                    ~Management

Thanks Robby,
I have been using this video already as a very good guide.  It has helped me immensley.  Thanks for re-posting the link though smile
I thought maybe your advice was to put some vertical elevation while performing the wrist roll.

Strange thing was yesterday evening after reading this I started practicing and nailed it about 4 or 5 times in a row, I thought I was on the right track.
After practicing some other cracks I attempted it again multiple times and couldn't get it right.

Ah well it's all part of learning and I will be trying again smile

Thanks again.

In vino veritas

Jessie, it clicked with me too.
Like, "Oh, yeah. Now I get it."

Ron

I did a little practice session tonight, trying to chip away at the Coachman's Crack and the Victorian Cutback.
I like how you can combine an underhand crack then with a flick of the wrist bring the whip back over for another crack.
Still much practice to do, but a new world of combinations is opening up.

https://youtu.be/7SF3Yi3_Nx4

In vino veritas

Russell, that looks a bit more relaxed - but (to me) you still look like a man in a hurry!

Of course, it can't be easy to slow down with your dog constantly shouting, 'Faster! Faster!'  tongue

'Less is often more!'

big_smile Robert, he drives me nuts.... he's probably channeling what my neighbors are feeling tongue

I have taken both cracks down to their slowest possible speeds and also at the other end of the spectrum, trying to zero in on the "goldilocks zone" so to speak.

I'll try and slow things down a bit more smile

Cheers smile

In vino veritas

Russell, it might help to simply count to ten between each crack....

Could the dog be left in the house?

'Less is often more!'

Robert, you are endangering my penchant for getting things done the hard way with your common sense tongue

Keyzer goes nuts inside when he hears me cracking the whip, and my wife gets angry and lets him out lol

I think next time I should go for a drive somewhere I think smile

In vino veritas

did I say nuts? I meant, BERKO smile

In vino veritas