Topic: First "real" whip build
As noted elsewhere, I've made a couple snake whips and a couple hatband whips, but all of those were made with electrical tape bolsters (the hatband whips also had extension-cord cores, while the snake whips were shot-loaded). I considered none of these previous creations "real" whips. They were toys, fit to play with but not to use regularly for months or years. Here is my first attempt at a true whip. This is intended to be a six-foot bull whip. Since it's my first one, I'm not going for fancy, but at least it should be something I can call a whip (if all goes well).
I started with an eight-inch nail for the handle, and wrapped a bit of fabric tape to add some friction. Then, I built a shot-loaded core of about twelve inches, secured with sinew and a bit more fabric tape to protect the transition. The first belly was a simple 8-plait in white and red (the colors I happened to have a lot of at the time). And that's where we are now:
Next up - more sinew, and some nylon lacing tape (Mil-spec Type II, size 3 - waxed). Wish me luck.