Topic: First "real" whip build

As noted elsewhere, I've made a couple snake whips and a couple hatband whips, but all of those were made with electrical tape bolsters (the hatband whips also had extension-cord cores, while the snake whips were shot-loaded). I considered none of these previous creations "real" whips. They were toys, fit to play with but not to use regularly for months or years. Here is my first attempt at a true whip. This is intended to be a six-foot bull whip. Since it's my first one, I'm not going for fancy, but at least it should be something I can call a whip (if all goes well).

I started with an eight-inch nail for the handle, and wrapped a bit of fabric tape to add some friction. Then, I built a shot-loaded core of about twelve inches, secured with sinew and a bit more fabric tape to protect the transition. The first belly was a simple 8-plait in white and red (the colors I happened to have a lot of at the time). And that's where we are now:
http://www.andysocial.com/whip/2017_02/Core_Belly1.JPG

Next up - more sinew, and some nylon lacing tape (Mil-spec Type II, size 3 - waxed). Wish me luck.

Re: First "real" whip build

Here we go! Good luck on your first build smile

Best wishes, Gary. We'll watch the way this develops with much interest!

'Less is often more!'

Good luck, Gary!  Welcome to the world of Larger whips!!!
Whipmaking bug is alive and well, I'm glad to see!!!

Inch by inch.

Gary, good luck with your first longer whip.

Yes indeed Rachel, alive , well and disseminating.

Ron

It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

Coo, builds are the best. I look forward to seeing this develop,...

After binding tightly for a foot or so with sinew, then more open to the end of the braid (covering the knot to smooth things slightly), and then an open layer of nylon lacing tape. Then, I taped the handle to bulk it up and make it closer to flat with the transition, covering that and a little of the lacing tape with some more sinew in an open weave. It seems to have a decent stiffness, while still flowing decently. We'll see how it looks after the second belly.

http://www.andysocial.com/whip/2017_02/BullBelly1_binding.JPG

Now my hands are done for the day. Seriously, how does Bobbi make so many whips?

The pain of binding with sinew (using the "doorknob" method for most of it) helps to explain why electrical tape is so appealing.

Good luck!  It'll be fun smile

Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap. 
                                                                                    ~Management

Binding is always the hand / finger killer.
Jessie's right, it'll be fun.

Ron

Can't wait to see how this goes, Gary! big_smile It's exciting to be working on a whip, isn't it?~

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Looking good, so far.

Looks really like a good Start for your First real whip, good luck with finishing it. 

Try to Protect your Fingers with some tape, it helps a Lot ;-)

Looks to be a great start Gary. Binding is the worst part. Not fun at all

He died for me, I'll live for him

Roy Partin wrote:

Binding is the worst part. Not fun at all

But essential!  smile

'Less is often more!'

Good luck Gary. I must warn you making whips is very addictive. Mr Robert is right the binding is absolutely essential.

Yes, can't stress that enough. Don't get lazy about the binding.
Or anything else for that matter... any shortcuts you take will show in the end. It's quite unforgiving, as you'll learn no doubt.

Fritz just gave the best advice for whipmaking.... I think you have to love it too, that brings it go life.  That drive and desire to make each one better than the last really makes a difference between the whips....
You can do it!

Inch by inch.

I finally found time to do the second belly (it's a good thing that start will be covered by a turk's head knot) last weekend. I was hoping to get to the binding with artificial sinew and polyester (not nylon as I mistakenly said earlier) lacing tape.
http://www.andysocial.com/whip/2017_02/Second_Belly.JPG

Gary, I love those colors.
Is this going to be the colors of the overlay too?
That would look awesome.

Ron