Topic: The cross over crack from 1/25/2017 to 2/3/2017

This is where we will post for the cross over crack .
It starts around 3:20 in this video of Vol. II. It doesn't really complete the instructions so we will have to do the best we can.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L88gjDaPf6g&t=204s

Happy crackin' . smile

Ron

When you're choreographing your life, sometimes you have to dance with the music you're given.

Re: The cross over crack from 1/25/2017 to 2/3/2017

Here is a short video of today practice. There is obviously lots of room for improvement but it's getting better compared to my "crossover attempts" in the past smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA8-CKO … e=youtu.be

All the best
Ben

Ben, that looks pretty good.
Maybe the first part of the crack should be more diagonal?
I find that it's difficult to do the second part with out enough speed to keep the whip from cracking the back of my head/neck.
I tend to keep it more over my head or out to the side.
You seem to be doing this part quite well.
That's what I am working on.
Thanks for the video and good job.

Ron

When you're choreographing your life, sometimes you have to dance with the music you're given.

Ben,. I agree with Ron: this looks pretty good, but the first part of the crack could be more diagonal - but it's not easy to tell the exact angle of the whip because of where the camera is placed. But it all looks nice and effortless!

Thank's Ron smile - I'll keep in mind to do the first crack in a more diagonal plane on tomorrows practice !!!

What helped me a lot to develop a feal for the second part was to do the motion of both parts without snaping my wrist at 3 o'clock (therefor, without a crack). After I fealt comfortable with this motion I strated adding wrist snaps.

All the best
Ben

Thank you very much Robert smile !!!

Both you and Ron are right about the first part beeing to vertical (it's not the angle of the camera- it's me) !!!

All the best
Ben

Here's my video for today.
I am still going over my head too much I believe in the second part, but I'm a little "gun shy" about hitting myself in the back of the head.

I tried a couple of ways , out to the side and what I thought was in front of me but the video shows it's more to the side than middle. Ending the video with a slow crack just for fun.

https://youtu.be/D8llkTvUfcI

Ron

Ron, I think that looks very good indeed. Wonderfully relaxed!

Thank you Mr. Robert. smile

Upon further review I know what I am doing wrong... mostly.
On the second part of the crack I am not turning my body (into the crack to the rear) and bringing the whip back behind me as far as I can before turning back to the front and finishing the crack in front.

I am currently doing the exact thing Robby warns about by not turning into the crack and taking the whip back as far as I can before throwing the whip forward, hence "hitting the back of my head / neck.

This is what I am going to be working on tomorrow.

Ron

Ron, I've found that self-criticism is usually the most helpful kind! Well done!

Looking good Ron smile. I'm working on the alignment on the second part, but I think I've got it now.

'Sic Parvis Magna'

Yesterday's practice seems like I am making reverse progress.
The second part of the crack is proving to be very hard for me to do correctly.
I am going to keep working on it though.

Ron

I'm using a lot of wrist action to almost spin the whip in the X motion. Not sure if this is kosher, as a legacy of learning Irish stick fighting a while back, but it really helps my timing and alignment

'Sic Parvis Magna'

Matt, would it be possible to make a demo video of your "Irish Wrist Action" ?
Kosher or not I would be interested in seeing that.

Ron

I'll try and record something now, Ron. I'll use a stick to start then a whip.

'Sic Parvis Magna'

Here we are Ron, I tried to show it as best I could on the landing. It's the same kind of X pattern you find in Filipino martial arts, the trick is to open up your hand and loosen your wrist, and let the whip flow. I can't really explain it over the internet, so hopefully you can see what I'm doing:
https://youtu.be/05Km80HZBsM

'Sic Parvis Magna'

Matt, that's brilliant! Thanks very much for posting this!  smile

Well done Matt.
That was very interesting.
I wonder how it's success translates to a longer whip?

Ron

No worries folks, glad I could contribute something useful to this for once smile. Ron, it works pretty much the same with a longer whip, the motion's just slower.

'Sic Parvis Magna'

Today's practice was slowly progressing but I guess I need more patience with this one.
Even with turning my body with the crack and bringing the handle as far behind me as I can, it still ended up not working well with a lot of anxiety, fearful of hitting the back of my head or there abouts.
This one for some reason is a tuffy for me.
Not making an excuse but perhaps my whip's transition is just too noodley to do this successfully with out some trade offs in positioning.

I even tried the "Irish Wrist Action" but not much success there either.

Ron