Re: This is the Gallery of "Sui Generis Whips" - Jessie Edwards

OMG Jessie... I love steampunk, the whole victorian technology universe. It's so great.
I really, really like this whip.
The handle is just so... wow!

If only I could order one from you with a rust colored thong...

Sven

"Go and tell your master that we have been charged by God with a sacred quest. If he will give us food and shelter for the night, he can join us in our quest for the Holy Grail!"
"Well, I'll ask him, but I don't think he'll be very keen. Uh, he's already got one, you see."

Jessie, that heel treatment matches the handle perfectly.
I don't know where you find these but it's perfectly matched.
This , I believe, is the best one yet. smile

Ron

I listen to music because punching people in the face is frowned upon.

Ron, you can make any cab you like to go into your heel knots.  Some that i use are stones or glass, but you can make your own theme really easy either with plastic or glass.  I prefer glass.  It's higher end, more durable, and more professional I think.  If you have an idea on a whip and need a specific cabochon, I will help you make one.

Sven, if I make another, I will keep in mind you would like rust color.

Thanks for the compliments.  I know this one was not as well received before the thong was on, but my husband says that not everyone can see things as complete like I can.  Aside from some minor issues, I am okay with this one.  I want to change a couple of things mechanically, but overall, it performs nice and it looks almost exactly the way I wanted.  So that's good smile 

Thanks all.

Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap. 
                                                                                    ~Management

I thought it was great from the get go.
I'm glad you didn't junk. It's kind of like , "How do ya like me now?".

Ron

BeforeI tell you what I think about that new handle/whip design, I have to say something before that. I really like Jessie and we are close friends. At the same time I am her probably most restrictive critics. Why? Simply because I never tell people nice things about their work because I like them. It wouldn't help. And in the end a lot of people buy whips on my recommendation. So my name is in the game, too. And if one buys a whip on behalf my recommendation, I want this to be the best possible whip. And I don't care if the whip maker is a friend of mine or not.

Now to Jessie's handle. I saw that some of you were not too happy with the design in the beginning. Which is good, because that way it's clear that you too don't say nice things just out of sympathy. When I saw the "raw" version of that handle, the Draft, I was convinced, that this will become a complete new style of handle and whip design. The plaiting has improved, the knots are great (they have a bit of the shape like Einar Stephenson's knbots have - which I love!) and the overall design is more than unique. In other words: Great work. The only thing I disagree with Jessie is the price. If I compare her work (yet alone the additional hours of designing the handles) to f.e. the "Performance Hybrid" whip by Midwest whips, she is definitely too cheap. That Performance Hybrid thingie is a piece of plastic pipe and a thong, the customer has to bind himself into the plastic cup on top... And they charge you 186.00 USD for a 5 ft. two tone thong. At the moment they have kind of a sale - 150.00 USD. Still for a plastic pipe onto you have to mount the thong yourself. Good luck. Well - there's a free YouTube video that shows you how to do it...

Jessie's "Steampunk" whip is on for 170.00 USD. Which is - again - in my personal experience and opinion too cheap. Well. We'll see. Jessie's decision. I mean, there is so much crap out in the market - simple nylon whips with nothing that would make them special in any way, which are sold for 160.00, 180.00 and more USD. That's it for now. My honor is that I knew and know some great whip makers. David Morgan, Terry Jacka, Bernie (who was born in Germany...), Simon Martin, Tyler Blake, Giovanni, Roy Partin, Rachel McCollough, Einar and so on. And - mark my words - some day the name Jessie Edwards will become one of those names.

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

Robby, I totally agree.

To me, the benchmark is that you can look at a photo and know who made it.
Jessie has achieved this. One look and you know that it's a Jessie whip.

Others can make whips but they are indistinguishable of other whips out there and they are a dime a dozen.

Ron

I absolutely agree with Robby on all points, including the price.  I know a little bit about what a handmade handle entails, and mine take MUCH less time than Jess's. 
100% agree. 
Jess's whips only keep getting better and better.
WS, you have arrived. 
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Inch by inch.

And I agree with Robby, too! $170 for this unique creation? Well, at that price I suppose it's already been sold, but I would say not less that $200. It's not just the hours of both thought and work that went into this, it's the quality of the finished product. Well, that's my two cents worth....

'Less is often more!'

I have to agree with Robby, I can't imagine the time spend on this whip and the craftmanship.
If indeed compared to other whips on the market, it's too cheap.

Ofcourse I wouldn't know how it handles, but I take Robby's word for it anytime.
Very well done.

Sven

"Go and tell your master that we have been charged by God with a sacred quest. If he will give us food and shelter for the night, he can join us in our quest for the Holy Grail!"
"Well, I'll ask him, but I don't think he'll be very keen. Uh, he's already got one, you see."

I don't think I ever said anything about this whip on here, but I did on the Book of Faces. It is gorgeous. Probaby one of my favorites. I'll admit to some skepticism before the knots went on, but once they were added, it all cleared out. It looks beautiful. Very well done.

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
          -Mark Twain

Jessie, a lot of artists struggle with pricing- we have an inate fear that if we price it too high, people won't buy it but the advice I've heard over and over again is that if you don't value your own labor, you can't expect others to.  And that's true.  Yes, you might price someone out of your work if you go as high as you want.... or they'll just have to save up.  But art shouldn't be bargain priced like it's something from Walmart- it should reflect not just the time you put into one piece, but also the time you put into learning the trade.  If you want to make something more affordable for everyone, you can always come up with a much more simple design, but I agree with Robby and the others- for a custom, one of a kind design like that of course you should charge more.  By the way, great whip smile

Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!

Lady, that is a work of art. There is not another whip handle out there that comes close to your design. Robby is correct, you can charge what you need to for a one off masterpiece like this one. Love that midnight blue thong. Each one of your thongs looks better than the last. Congrats on your talent

He died for me, I'll live for him

Aww thank you.  I really appreciate the support from you all.

~Management

What a beautiful whip Jessie!
The artwork of the handle looks mindblowing and the clockwork cabochon in the heel matches the theme of the handle so well!

It's unique, it's sylish, it's a unicum, it's a Jessie Whip!

All the best
Ben

A 6.5 foot whip, inspired by the movie Ghost Rider.  A 12" length of steel chain TIG welded solid as a handle, in matte finish silver.  The thong is plated in fireball with black accent knots.  Jessie's chain whip series #1--the Skullhammer.  smile  Whip #18

It's raining out really hard, so pictures are what they are today.

http://i.imgur.com/Z67rhSm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DzeLqmx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RDQesFC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jJIdSY1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gfWG7SK.jpg

~Management

OMG, I LOVE IT!
This blows my mind. smile

That's amazing Jessie.
How does it crack? Do you think the chain would hold up solid?
I can sure see the inspiration.

Ron

That chain is not going anywhere.  I made sure of that.   It cracks nice.  It's actually a nice weight overall.  There will be some modifications for the next one, mostly in terms of the knots, but it's a nice whip for learning on I think.

~Management

Truly unique innovation and completely awesome!  I see the thought, from conception to crack, very well executed!

Inch by inch.

Jessie, I'll bet that heel knot was a total bitch to make the foundation for.
Nice job on the knots.

Ron

Not really, but anchoring it was interesting.  I got it solid, but next time I will be welding stoppers. I'm a little concerned about my Cabochon.

~Management