Re: This is the Gallery of "Sui Generis Whips" - Jessie Edwards

Woooaaahhh I frigging love this, the design looks so pretty!!

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Jessie Edwards wrote:

Stilio is finished.  My plaiting is so much better.  I am still having trouble dropping from 6 to 4.

Jessie - I've been having the same problem lately.  Even on the bellies.  I've gotten good on closing up the gap on all of the other strands, but not 6 & 5.  That's why on most of my recent whips I've just left it at six strands on both the belly finish and the fall hitch.  I did drop to four strands on the warrant officer whip, and the resulting taper was awesome, but there was a noticeable gap and hinge at the drop point and the fall hitch pulled the overlay apart a little just above the hitch exposing the core.

That aside, your handles remain incredible and I really like your ungutted knots.  I'm going to try that on the heel knot of my current whip since I'm going to try using the glow in the dark white paracord again.

If I can't run fast, I'll make slow look impressive.
"By the power of ibuprofen!"

Thank you, Craig!  I appreciate the input.  Hopefully that plaiting will continue to improve.  I know what to look for now smile. Thank you for taking time for me!

Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap. 
                                                                                    ~Management

Absolutely a beauty!  I love that spider, good choice Craig!
Congrats on your growing whip business my talented WS!!!!

Inch by inch.

That concho has a "Steam Punk" attitude. Very cool...! Like I said in another video... Big things have small beginnings. Right?

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

Craig, that concho just screams steam punk. I love it.
Excellent job Jessie.

Ron

Amazon has just been approved for drone delivery.
We now have skeet shooting with prizes.

I agree, the concho's excellent! Robby, that reminds me of the video game Uncharted; Francis Drake's motto was said to be 'greatness from small beginnings'. A pretty good adage, if you ask me smile

'Sic Parvis Magna'

Jessie, that really does look (and sound) splendid. Of course, you knew it wasn't perfect. (If you thought it was perfect, where could you go in future?) But it has real style, and Craig says it handles well. You should be very pleased!

'Less is often more!'

As always, it's beautiful work, Jess. I'm adding you to the list of people who I need to order a whip from in the future. I have a handle idea, and you could absolutely pull it off.

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
          -Mark Twain

I knew about the handle, but that concho is incredi-cool.  And Jessie... I dig the new avatar smile

Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!

Thank you, everyone.  I did like how Stilio came out.  smile  I appreciate the review too, Craig.  That was really nice of you to take the time out to write that up for me.

Just a info-ey thing: A concho is shell like.  That's what concho means: "Shell" and, they are usually hollow domes (not always) and more often than not, metal, with showy detail on the front only.  This (above) is a cabochon, which is a solid dome made from (usually) glass, resin, plastic, or polished and shaped stones. They are domed on one side and flat on the other.  Subsequently, A medallion is flat and solid on both sides and may be one or 2 sided--like a coin.  Just a little thing I know that I thought I would share.

~Management

Phwoah that concho is AMAZING. And as always, incredible work on the wood design!

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Love the concho it matches the spider very well, sounds like it moves very well. I have those same plaiting issues too sometimes but some of my whips with this issue are my favourites.

You certainly have a very unique and stylish style I'll bet you make a name for yourself smile

Jessie Edwards wrote:

Thank you, everyone.  I did like how Stilio came out.  smile  I appreciate the review too, Craig.  That was really nice of you to take the time out to write that up for me.

Just a info-ey thing: A concho is shell like.  That's what concho means: "Shell" and, they are usually hollow domes (not always) and more often than not, metal, with showy detail on the front only.  This (above) is a cabochon, which is a solid dome made from (usually) glass, resin, plastic, or polished and shaped stones. They are domed on one side and flat on the other.  Subsequently, A medallion is flat and solid on both sides and may be one or 2 sided--like a coin.  Just a little thing I know that I thought I would share.

Ah!  Thank you for the info.  That means that most of mine have actually been medallions, except for my Arizona whip, which was a straight up leather working concho.

If I can't run fast, I'll make slow look impressive.
"By the power of ibuprofen!"

I will always have a soft spot for woody bullwhips. just something about em.. I hope to build one in the near(ish) future. hopefully in the next few months I can dial in a build of such nature. great work Jessie! an inspiration for sure

Really nice review!   I love the concho,  but I love anything steam punk.

Wonderful work Jessie !!!

What amazes me is that all of your whips look very unique and have lots of different features yet all of them have that distinctive, beautiful Jessie look. Finding your own recognisable whipmaking style isn't easy but you've totaly nailed it - very well done Jessie !!!

All the best
Ben

Aww thank you.  It seems like ages since the last one was made.  I should get back to that.

~Management

I like how your artistic interpretation is brought out into these whips Jessie.
The transition knots look very robust and detailed too.  I really like the Nodum.  Nice earthy look to it.
Thanks for sharing smile

Well here we go.  Still needs a bath, but this one is done.  The last of the Diamond willow my dad made.  5.5 foot thong to the fall 12 inch handle.

http://i.imgur.com/hd6lwjt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jt5LeGM.jpg

~Management