Re: One on one swap - For Brandon

So - whip is finished and ready for shipment - unfortunately i cant show pics yet - have to keep te excitement going - so Brandon - i will need an adress

Morten, good mob on the completed whip.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you have made for Brandon. smile

Ron

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator.
Only a fraction of people will find this funny.

Great job and great news, Morten.  Can't wait to see the finished product.

If I can't run fast, I'll make slow look impressive.
"By the power of ibuprofen!"

Erik Torpström wrote:

Very scientific notes. I see you've bumped into the same problem of terminology. We just have to use some of the English language terms, but then explaining something to your friends becomes very silly big_smile

It does. Trust us on this, really smile

Morten, that looks like a really successful project to me so far. Great work! I really like build threads, and people sharing their exact notes in them without being all secretive is always cool. Can't wait to see the finished whip.

- Pokkis

Awesome! Here we go!

And yes, Pokkis is right big_smile Hilarity is ensured when you try and translate words like "thong", "fall", or "belly" and use them in a sentence.

Erik Torpström wrote:

Awesome! Here we go!

And yes, Pokkis is right big_smile Hilarity is ensured when you try and translate words like "thong", "fall", or "belly" and use them in a sentence.

Erik - some of my best laughs has been through google translate, and imagine that the words you mention here - could bring a smile on everubodys face once they have been through google

Woot Woot guess what?!? big_smile
I got the whip in the mail~~ First thing I saw was a wooden knob, cannot believe you did that for me!! Both the heel and transition are wooden knobs, so beautiful! Next, the colours - Wow, I never expected those colours, it really adds to the wooden knobs. I should play with aqua and brown more!

Here are a few pictures -

http://i.imgur.com/nW5yDFh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RR60DDG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rqScLCb.jpg

There's really only two main things that I think could be improved to be honest.

Visually -

I believe your wood glue/epoxy/whatever you used to glue leaked out, and I'm not sure if it was like this already or it happened in transit. Here are a few pictures of that -

http://i.imgur.com/kRGw8r2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/crHmpJb.jpg

Don't get me wrong, those wooden knobs are amazing! And to be honest, the glue will probably flake off after a bit of use. I think this was the only main visual flaw in your whip (except for a tiny gap here or there, which would be invisible if I weren't looking). A few of your strand drops are slightly visible too on the overlay, but in all seriousness, you only see a tiny bit of colour showing -

http://i.imgur.com/hDxoBJD.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/5NVFr3e.jpg

Finally, the fall hitch is pretty, and very well done big_smile

http://i.imgur.com/iY9aqT7.jpg
I like the order of colours you did it too!

In its entirety, though, the whip is very very visually appealing big_smile  The browns and blues mix well, and the wood knobs are so pretty!

In use -

So, first thing is that this whip's transition is tight. I can't tell where the handle ends and the core begins, which is good!~ The whip itself feels like it's about the same weight as my whips, so that's fun to play with. It flows quite nicely, and most cracks are quite easy to do big_smile
I think the only flaw here is the roll out - the whip doesn't do the Amper roll test very well at the moment (could be because it's new), and it seems to twist veeeeerrryy slightly to the left.

Here's a video of me testing it (I apologise for my behaviour, I was a bit too excited to be using my first whip that I didn't make big_smile ) - https://youtu.be/oE3dpGhUANU

All in all, it's a solidly made whip, I very much like it! Will definitely be using it more in the future to see how it breaks in, might update in a few weeks~ Probably won't let anyone else use this whip though, since it's such a nice gift! big_smile

Thank you very much Morten for the whip!! Very happy to have received it, and I hope you like the one I sent you XD

PS. Thanks for the extra cord of the colours for falls!! ^_^

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Congratulations, Brandon, and congratulations, Morten! That looks an extremely nice whip, and I love the wooden heel knob! Brandon, I suspect that with a bit of use it will do the Amper roll test rather better. And with regard to the glue: perhaps you could just try brushing it (very lightly) with one of those stiff little brushes used to refresh suede.... But what an exciting thing to receive!  smile

Hi barndon

Happy it arrived safely and that you have allready taken the time to give some feedback which is very appreciated.

I was very much in doubt of the colors - and the type of wood i should use - just to play it safe i actually made 3 different sets in mahogany - ashwood and cherry just to try it - in all honesty, my uncle made the woodwork for me. Thanks to jessie and Bobby for helping selcting the right kind of wood - i consulted them trusting their taste more than my own.

But here comes fault number one.... i had the woodwork done before i waxed the whip - big mistake. Before waxing it was a very snug fit - but the diameter of the whip changed in the wax - and i got a gap - hole in the wood too big - damm. Then i added a gererous amount of epoxy to mitigate.... and it overflowed - sorry buddy - my bad. So leasonn learned - dont mulitask make whip finished and waxed - then make the wood.

In terms of the gaps - i im quite sure that the missing paracord to cover the gaps must have been impounded in the Australian costums......... No - to keep the pattern i take out two strands at the time - and it is a challenge for me. when i do single color thongs and drop one stand at a time - i can do it very nice - but dropping two... maybe i need to make the drop a little later and just allow the strands to stack up some more before dropping.

The roll out test - i have allwys thought my whips were stiffer than waht i saw in various movies - so i do not bind my bellies beyond the transition - i have resently found out that the combination of cold Denmark and my wax was creating that problem. So after adding more parafin oil and coconut oil to my wax - my whips behave differently. Unfortunately i found out after making yours.... :-( So in the future bellies ar bound with sinew all the way.

Regarding the drag to le left - there a scientific explanation to that. The whip has been sent to the other side of the world - and due to the effect of the Coriolis effect the whip behas differently on the southren hemisphere - like when the water runs out of the tub - in Denmark the water will circle clokswise - in Australia counterclockwise... I did not calculate that into the build (or i fucked up in another way :-) )

That being said - the whip comes fresh out of the wax - i did not want to take it out since it has been wet and muddy here for loong time - hope it behaves once it breaks in.

Can wait for your to arrive and thanks for the feedback buddy - And i still think we should meet halfway (Bangkok) for a weekend of beer and whipcracking.

Mr. gage thank you

Morten when the epoxy is still rubbery and  not hard (in the first two-three hours) you can flake off the extra epoxy with the back side of a butter knife, it's not sharp to hurt the paracord and it will scrape it loose. 
Painters tape (the blue masking tape) on the paracord directly in front of where you want the glue helps keep it off the paracord as well. 

That's a beautiful whip!  Very well done, Morten!  The color combo with the wood, very well done! 

Brandon, thank you for sharing with us!  You're a lucky fellow.

Inch by inch.

Morten, very nicely done.
And Brandon thanks for the excellent review.

This is what the whip swap was supposed to be like.
I thank both of you gentlemen for fulfilling your part of the swap.
Very good job.

Ron

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator.
Only a fraction of people will find this funny.

Thx for the tip Rachel and Ron for the comments

Morten, no worries with those colours, sir. they work together really well. Love the woodwork too.

Brandon, I've found that immediately after waxng, my whips have 'flopped' over to one side but after a load of cracking they straighten out. I think it's the wax bedding itself in.

Think for yourself, act for everyone.

Thx Sir Roger - maybe the fact that the whips cools of lying down make the wax fall down and make it slightly heavier in one side?

That's a possibility although I take my whips outside and hang them from a roof rafter so they dry as straight as I can manage. Of course, the tip end has to curl to keep from dragging on the ground. That might cause an imbalance in the wax.

Think for yourself, act for everyone.

Great looking whip Morten. It looks like it handles well. Did you load it? If so how far out in the thong?

Morten, that is a beautiful piece. The wood on there is excellent. The contrast between the paracord and The wood is fantastic. Brandon is one lucky dude to have gotten this.

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
          -Mark Twain

Alright, finally got home from a party XD First thing first, I do want to say that any of the visual things I've noticed are extremely nit-picky, like seriously I wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't looking for it (apart from the glue thing).

Robert, I personally don't mind the glue enough to scrape it off tongue I think if I break it in it'd have a nicer roll out too~

Morten - colours and wood are amazing. I would love to play with wood too, but i really don't have the tools or materials for that.
Don't be sorry about the glue overflow, that's totally fine! I'm just giving you a critique of your whip (just like I hope you do for mine), to help you improve ^_^
For the gaps, I drop 2 at a time too tongue it definitely is difficult, but as I said, it's pretty much invisible unless you look for them.
Yeah I think the heat of Australia and the cold of Denmark will probably make a difference. I worry that my whip will be too hard now, since I only used paraffin wax.
The drag to the left is actually quite manageable. It could also be my cracking (I haven't done much target practice), but I mainly notice it when I crack in a direction and the cracker seems to crack slightly left of where the thong was going.
Nevertheless, you should be proud of this whip, it's a very very nice whip and I'm so happy to be the recipient of it!
I am so keen on meeting up if we ever can, currently stuck studying in uni :'(

Rachel, I definitely am lucky to have gotten this whip~

Ron, we haven't fully completed the swap yet, my whip is still on its way to Morten! tongue

Sir Roger, that's very interesting! My whips tend to roll out straight away after the wax, not sure why that may be. I also hang them out after waxing.

I absolutely love the wooden handle bits, would love to see if I could ever make a whip with them. Has such a satisfying feel when you grip it haha

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Brandon, check out the orientation of the cracker compared to the way you hold the whip. I had a similar issue, and just by retying the cracker on the whip

Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.
          -Mark Twain