Re: One on one swap - For Brandon

Morten, those photos make a case for good binding which seems to me unanswerable! Well done!  smile

'Less is often more!'

Morten - thank you for sharing so many details.  It is very informative.

If I can't run fast, I'll make slow look impressive.
"By the power of ibuprofen!"

Awesomeee I cannot wait to get my hands on this whip big_smile big_smile

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

2 belly 12 plait started - a small note - the ink mark on the end of the handle - thats my alignment mark - always pointing up in my vice - keeps the direction

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg573/Morten_Aalykke_Pedersen/One%20on%20one%20swap%20Brandon/IMG_87451_zpsqfzxvydi.jpg

Good to know I'm not the only one who draws a line XD I draw it directly onto the bellies myself~

Love the contrast between the two bellies tongue

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Second belly finished and bound. I am a little conflicted at this point. By talking to Brandon i have realised he likes a "flowing whip with a quick forming loop). Lately my whips have been pretty stiff with a lot of binding, guess i am afraid of being known as the Danish Limb Noodle.

I also think my whips look more stiff / less flexible than the ones i see some of you using - but i am not sure which of the factors below (or others) that i can blame:

- my whips are not broken in yet (i do spend substantially more time plaiting that cracking)
- Binding with the sinew
- hard plaiting
- my wax getting hard in the cold weather? I went out this morning and cracked a whip that spent the night out in the frost - it was very stiff.

Finished 2. belly

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg573/Morten_Aalykke_Pedersen/One%20on%20one%20swap%20Brandon/IMG_8748_zps7iht4hof.jpg

before binding

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg573/Morten_Aalykke_Pedersen/One%20on%20one%20swap%20Brandon/IMG_8750_zpsisgnddxt.jpg

after binding - less than i would normally do to accomodate my end users request :-)

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg573/Morten_Aalykke_Pedersen/One%20on%20one%20swap%20Brandon/IMG_8751_zpsok0ab6h9.jpg

so now i have to decide the overlay....

Fascinating to see this progress. Thanks so much, Morten!

(I like the way the whip frames the dog, who naturally assumes you're photographing him!)

'Less is often more!'

Also my private avatar - the rubber chicken that has a tendency to appear in all my pics :-)

smile

'Less is often more!'

Morten, thank you for trying to accommodate what I like big_smile in all seriousness, though, go ahead and do what you want, I would love to play with your whip either way smile

Working hard on it Brandon - overlay half finished - stopped at 2 this morning - was up anyway preparing pulled pork

Brandon Lam wrote:

Good to know I'm not the only one who draws a line XD I draw it directly onto the bellies myself~

Love the contrast between the two bellies tongue

I've started using chalk directly on the belly to maintain my plaiting line. I believe it's made a huge difference to avoiding twist.

Think for yourself, act for everyone.

I too draw a line to help keep the seam orientation consistent.
I have no evidence of what it does but it puts my mind at ease.

Ron

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

I use a combination of lines and holding the tip/handle of the whip in a vice, so if there's any bending you can see it.
I've also almost completed the overlay on yours Morten smile

Well Brandon - going into the final phase here - so to keep the suspension - it will be no pics until the whip arrives in melbourne

Awesome I can't wait! Should we wait until both of us are done or should we send it straight away?

Brandon - i have to attend a meeting on whips on the 20th of january - and would really like to bring our whip there as well - so if you dont min - i wont send it before that + plus the fact that it aint finished yet - need to find some materials to finish of some of the details.

Oh that's awesome! Totally fine, I'm happy with waiting~

Grt thx buddy

Morten - it is indeed looking very stiff.  I also mark my handle by drawing a small arrow on the tip of the handle to keep the orientation the same for all layers.  I also braid in a vice and have recently started paying a lot more attention to the orientation in the vice in order to keep everything hopefully straighter.

Great dog model.  wink

If I can't run fast, I'll make slow look impressive.
"By the power of ibuprofen!"