Re: Circuitus

Sure.  I'm boiling water now.  If it isn't enough, I have some RIT dye.  I can get aggressive.

Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap. 
                                                                                    ~Management

When you have the time we absolutely want you to post the spider and flame Picts!!!!!!

Inch by inch.

http://www.goldenpaints.com/technicaldata/archvarn.php

Not exactly what you're looking for but I'd suggest a uv protectant varnish or something like that with the colors etc.   wood veneer can bleach out in the sun so it would be good to check into.

Inch by inch.

Thanks WS!  I'll bookmark it for later. 

Here are the strands.  The top is tea dyed. I think that works fine.  I want subtle.  After the wax it should be about right. 

http://i.imgur.com/4ovnxVS.jpg

~Management

Looking good!

Inch by inch.

Jessie, you could test wax them and get a better idea of what the final color would be.

Ron

It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

Hooray! Tea is wonderful stuff! (But I know you don't like drinking it....)

'Less is often more!'

Rachel brings up a good point I forgot. Uv stabilization. My varnish experience is extremely niche so I haven't used spar varnish but I think it's pretty clear. Clear but matte and hard is outside what I do but I'll find out what I can. Electric guitar finishes may have closer to what you need.
Jesse since you aren't worrying about dampening sound I'd say go as thick as you can bear. I polish with pumice or Polysand between layers. Pumice is cheaper and easier to source. It'll leave a semi matte but mostly clear final polish too. If you want super clear and semi gloss you can polish your varnish with car or plastic polish, the stuff with ultrafine abrasive in it. I use Nico from France, but at the shop we've used plastic polish intended for motorcycle windshields and it works the same.

Great tip with the tea smile

I have used spar varnish for bows and found it to be strong, flexible and clear. Depending on the surface you might want to thin the first coat for better penetration.

One "varnish" I have used on bows and arrows and for filling grain is superglue. I can get it cheaply and it builds up and dries very quickly.It is strong, clear and flexible. I don't recommend you try this without experimenting on scrap first.

I apply it with my finger, keep it moving or it might get stuck big_smile also the fumes from this will sting your eyes a bit so a small fan helps

Deft. Good ol' stinky Deft. That may be ticket. We picked some up for the shop today because we use it for touchup and I remembered.
Admittedly I'm a bit of a touch-up Padawan but I'll give you what I can. It's a nitrocellulose lacquer which comes in both spray on (what got used on old Fender electric guitars) and brush form, which is how we use it in touch up. It does come in clear, with gloss, semigloss, and satin variations. For your purposes you can use gloss to build up thickness and use satin as a final coat so that it's very clear without throwing out glare like Abrams-era Star Trek. On violins we'll use layers of semigloss and 1704 to touch up gouges but I'm looking for a different effect. Now I've never used the spray on stuff and only used the brush on for small spots, but apparently the brush on dries slower which allows you to shift it around a bit, and flows better to help keep surface texture even. Spray on is easier, and relies on the spray pattern to stay even. Small spots will dry enough to sand and put other varnish on in a half hour, but it might take longer for a whole handle. It sort of divides into different strata in the can, and you just mix it before applying. Apparently when you need something opaque you can separate out the thick white layer when you need something mostly opaque to put a dark color layer onto but I haven't done that. When I get more info I'll let you know but it may work really well for you.

Jessie, my greatest compliments to your beautiful work !!!

I love it when skillful craftsmanship meets art and your handle is a great example for that !!!
Your whipmaking style has a huge recall value (If anybody showed me this handle and asked me:"who from Whip Basics made this handle?" my first guess would be you) while beeing very
multi faceted at the same time - WOW !!!

All the best
Ben

I appreciate the finish advice men, thank you for that.  I'll keep it all in mind for later.  I wasn't sure if I could use several different kinds of finish on the same piece.  I do have some matte finish acrylic I could try over the top of the gloss.  IDK.

~Management

Jessie, I kind of like the shiney.
I'm afraid that a too "mat / flat" finish would take away from the detail.

Ron

It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.