Topic: Circuitus

I wasn't going to post this one, but I was kind of told I should.  So, here goes.  I'm not sure how this will end up. 

Before the finish was applied: 

http://i.imgur.com/J6CjfMb.jpg

And after about 10-ish coats.  Obviously, it has aged a bit because of the tint in the poly.  It's okay.  I'm gonna roll with it. 

http://i.imgur.com/jqQN3Wk.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/UTa6ftI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/6PvAres.jpg

Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap. 
                                                                                    ~Management

Re: Circuitus

That's looking sooooooo nice.
I'm looking forward to seeing this one completed.

Ron

It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

I like it.  Look at it this way, it may have looked a little nicer before the coating, but it probably wouldn't have been long before the user's hand discolored it.

If I can't run fast, I'll make slow look impressive.
"By the power of ibuprofen!"

I like it aged.  I need a crystal clear poly for colored stuff next time.  I have to work with what I have for now.  Muted colors appeal to me anyway.  I like to look close and see something unexpected.

~Management

There now! Jessie, I think it looks far better after the coating! That's really stylish - and very 'Jessie'!  smile

'Less is often more!'

These handles are becoming a real thing Jessie, if you see what I mean. Getting a bit of a signature going there. I think every whip maker needs a sig of some sort.

Think for yourself, act for everyone.

I too like it better after the patina!  Very nice, Jessie!  Keep it going!

Inch by inch.

I agree, I like it after!

Really cool design!

Thanks smile  I don't want to post every whip and be a bother, so if it gets to that point, stop me.

~Management

That is simply stunning work. So original and

He died for me, I'll live for him

Heh.  Thanks Roy.  Kind of lost the end of that sentence there, but I'm sure it was good.  I appreciate the support from everyone.  Thank you all soooo much.

~Management

I was the one who told Jessie to post those pictures. I think that every whip maker has something which makes him/her special. Something very personal. And this is Jessie's thing. I already told her some time ago that this is her thing. She found it. I mean...look at the craftsmanship in this handle! Four different types of teak in one compass rose. The whole thing embedded in copper. Anyone here who saw this before? I didn't. And there was another reason why I told (forced...) her to post this. Simply because I don't want anybody to see this somewhere, copies that and then goes to Facebook or what ever place, telling that he/she had this idea. Like the showwhip is Bobbi's thing and the hand made handles are Rachel's thing - so this is Jessie's thing and story.

That is very important. And if she's following that path, I think I have to do a video on her work next year. Wait - this year... It will take a while for me to realize that it is 2017, now smile

You don't bother anybody. If this would be the case, everybody would bother all the others all the time. So - no. You are not a bother. You do what everybody does here: You share your artwork with us. I think that was the reason, why Whip Basics was founded some years ago wink  So...go on and show your designs. This is an order.

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

Jessie, it will never get to "that point".
Please post all.

Ron

It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

Robby Amper wrote:

I .....I think that every whip maker has something which makes him/her special. Something very personal. And this is Jessie's thing.
You don't bother anybody. If this would be the case, everybody would bother all the others all the time. So - no. You are not a bother. You do what everybody does here: You share your artwork with us. I think that was the reason, why Whip Basics was founded some years ago wink  So...go on and show your designs. This is an order.

Robby

There you have it, Jessie, a Direct Order from The Boss.  You do NOT disobey direct orders!!!! So now, you MUST post these beautiful whips!!!

Please WS, you are NOT bothering anyone at all, and we will all feel sad and dejected if you do not share your unique creations.

And, "oh no, not another whip picture to look at...." Said no WB member ever!!!!!!

I think you said something about a handle with flames in Roll Call?!!!!! 

I love seeing your work.  It is unlike anyone else's, in the best way possible!!!  No way could I ever do that.  It is special.  Show it proudly.

Inch by inch.

Gorgeous work,  I prefer it aged too

Hear hear, Robby and Rachel.

Jessie, you contribute so much admin time to the forum but first and foremost you make whips. So let's see 'em! big_smile

Jessie, I suddenly realise I haven't chipped in here yet - but I heartily second everything that's been said. POST!  smile

'Less is often more!'

Jessie these are really exception gorgeous craftsmanship work and you should absolutely keep posting.

One thing to consider would be different finishes. The aged poly looks great here but I expect you would like to be able to decide and control when your handles are straight or antiqued in the future. Not my area of expertise but I can ask some guitar makers what they use to protect signatures and things like that.

Thanks.  Yes, there is a flame and spider handle too.  I can post them in a few minutes if you like. 

I am looking at different finishes.  What I would really like is a matte crystal clear finish.  Shiny is nice, but gets obnoxious, especially since it shows every stinking bubble, hair, scratch--
I had gotten some acrylic matte finish thinking that It would be nice to have soap and water clean up.  No.  It's not durable enough.  I have a Menards here with every kind of finish imaginable, but money is tight right now, so I have to work with what I have until I sell a whip.  smile

I was going to ask you, Efren, if you had any ideas on this.  I know you have schooling in finishing technique.  Basically, am I doing the sanding in between layers right?  And, how many layers do I do before it gets to be too thick? The compass rose is not embedded in anything, so it is raised in 3 layers off the surface of the base wood.  Tiny little bits that could peel up if its not finished thick enough and protected.

I'm also throwing caution to the wind and tea staining the teal paracord so it is aged like the handle.  I'll do a test piece before I commit completely.

~Management

I'm fascinated by the tea-staining. Can you try and get really good pics so we can see the colour difference?