Re: The Slow Figure Eight

Ben, I can't imagine practicing in that cold of weather.
My hat is off to you sir.
I'm glad that the pauses have helped you.
It helps me too just to gather my thoughts and focus. (usually on a point on the "horizon").

Ron

When you're choreographing your life, sometimes you have to dance with the music you're given.

Thank's Ron but there's no reason to take your hat off smile
I wasn't freezing at all and only my figers got cold during the practice.
The wind in my area is too strong for particing outside today - sigh - another day of "handle only" practice for me.

All the best
Ben

Today's practice looked a little more like I am wanting it to look.
Day 1 of the slow figure eight.
https://youtu.be/PLCDvakfcyk

Day 10 comparison video.
https://youtu.be/M2AzGk0U4xg
(yes, I have my plaiting belt on)

Today is the last day of the slow figure eight.
Tomorrow the 5th we will be starting the fast figure eight.

Ron

When you're choreographing your life, sometimes you have to dance with the music you're given.

I'm going to try to do a long session tonight with the slow figure 8.

I recall the advice about thinking of something else, and it doesn't sound impossible at all. I'm not great at it yet, but I remember it during each session.

Ben, I don't blame you about the gloves. I'd hate that, too. There is a tactile connection I want with my whip.

As I was watching you guys practising I hit on the idea that I could record some videos of me cracking in slow motion. 15min ago I came back from the gym with videos of several different cracks (cattlemans, coachmans, flicks, slow figure 8, fast figure 8, volley, and a bit of victorian cutback with underhand flick) both in normal speed and  120fps, both from the side and from the front. Tommorow I will try to edit it and upload these videos to YouTube, and I will post all links here. I hope that will help you with understanding of these cracks, movement of the whip, and the body.

Michal, yeah those would look good in the "clips and video" section.
I look forward to seeing them there. smile

Ron

Michal, those will be great to see!

I got in twenty minutes today. I think I am getting there, but it's hard to see without video feedback, and it was too dark to film.

It was a cold one day. I didn't have chance to finish up the slow figure 8 yesterday, but I got 'er in today. It was windy again, so that helped force me to slow down and work more on form than on noise.

Hi everyone, Here's a clip of some slow figure 8's.

https://youtu.be/WWh77B7GBUc

In vino veritas

Russel, that looks good.
Fluid and not overpowered. I can tell you have improved your skills quite a bit. smile

*whispers*.... "word to the wise, use your phone horizontally (landscape) it shows more ok?"

Ron

Russell I can't watch much video due to lack of data but it sure is good to see you back here and participating in the 10/10.

Inch by inch.

Thank you Ron and Rachel.  *I'll remember that trick next time* cheers Ron smile

In vino veritas

Thanks for posting this, Russell. I agree with Ron - you have improved! (Does you dog want to join in, or is he just objecting?)

Hello Robert! Good to hear from you again, and thank you for your kind comments.

I think he has a love / hate relationship with my whip cracking.... he thinks every time I pick one up i'm taking him for a two hour walk and gets upset if I don't!

I hope that you are doing well smile

In vino veritas

Thanks, Russell. I've found that dogs have their own individual reactions to whips. I had a Labrador who went and hid if I even picked one up. She had most certainly never been hit....

I am doing well, but I've come home with a cold. Probably inevitable after extremes of hot and cold and lots of crowded trains.

Well. Now I have practiced for some hours - after watching the video - to get the timing right with both hands. With the left I still have a problem with the vertical direction but here it is:

Right hand:  https://youtu.be/umxMak93C8Y

Left hand: https://youtu.be/rbHBg51vDOw

I think the biggest problem is to get rid of bad habits using ay to much force.

Welcome to the 10/10 challenge.
That's looking pretty good Flemming.
Try to feel what the whip is doing in stead of following it with your head and eyes.
A neat thing to do is to try it with your eyes closed and feel the whip.
You'll find that the timing will get better.
Don't forget to follow through on the reverse crack, not stopping it right after the crack is made.
Nicely done videos. Good job.

Ron

Thank you Ron. It is that kind of advice I really need. Now I have some themes to work with and definately the issue with eyes closed will help me fell if it is going allright. Thanks again Ron

Hello Ron. It is amazing what the human mind does.  I tried to close my eyes and instantly my wife could hear, that something was different. Everything was far more controlled.

Therefore I took a pair of safetyglasses and painted the glasses white for future training :-)

Thaks again Ron