Re: One-on-one Whip Swap - For Charlie

Charlie Carpenter wrote:

Would be interesting to make a few whips only bound once but on different layers to see how  each binding effects. Is binding on the core as effective as binding on the last belly etc.

Hi Charlie

I think that physics dictate that the effetct of the binding increases with the distance from the center of the whip - the moment of inertia on a binding increases the longer you get it away from center.

I personally like longer bindings on the core / first belly - and then shorter on second belly

I was chatting to Brandon about this the other day.
I wonder if it's partly to do with the advice we often receive as beginners. Plait as tight as you can and bind heavily because this will lead to a working whip.

It's hard to judge though because everyone plaits to a different tension and therfore would need different amounts of binding for the same effect. And different bellies etc.

I am getting much better results since I eased off a bit but that is probably a style thing, the stiff whips do work well just not how I like them

Anyhoo sorry for getting sidetracked Erik, I am really impressed with your work and am looking forward to playin with it

I remember our friend Pokkis had said that if you neglect the binding on the first belly you can't really save it on the second any more.

That would be my suspicion too Morten, I kind of do the same thing but the end of the bellies act as the core binding for my current design

Interesting Erik, hmm maybe chinese cord for that experiment. smile

Thanks BTW, it was that comment about the lever effect that gave me the push I needed to try something new, its working well for me

Erik Torpström wrote:

I remember our friend Pokkis had said that if you neglect the binding on the first belly you can't really save it on the second any more.

I'm helping sidetrack your thread big_smile

Pokkis is right I think.

Somewhat it depends how the core is made, but that first belly binding is crucial I believe.

Inch by inch.

Yup, I've made sure I go all out on the first belly binding.

Think for yourself, act for everyone.

Sorry for spamming your thread.

As for the effect of bindings versus what layer they come to. I have this 10 footer i made early in my whipmaking days - and it was a limb noodle transition. I tried to rescue it by binding reinforcement outside on the whip - and it works pretty well. So done so far away from the centre - on binding could fix the transition noodle complex

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg573/Morten_Aalykke_Pedersen/IMG_87171_zpsxkemylq6.jpg

Hmm Morten your photo expired. Maybe you deleted it from photobucket?
I did see it though before it was removed.

The whip for Charlie is done and ready to go to wax but I'm going to finish the 11 footer I had in works earlier to wax them at the same go. I might come up with something else to throw in there too - since we have time until the end of Feb... what's the rush wink)?

Morten Aalykke Pedersen wrote:

Sorry for spamming your thread.

As for the effect of bindings versus what layer they come to. I have this 10 footer i made early in my whipmaking days - and it was a limb noodle transition. I tried to rescue it by binding reinforcement outside on the whip - and it works pretty well. So done so far away from the centre - on binding could fix the transition noodle complex

Sorry - messed up in photobucket - here it is

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg573/Morten_Aalykke_Pedersen/IMG_87171_zpscylol4xu.jpg

Erik Torpström wrote:

Yeah, at least that's what I've noticed by trial and error. It makes sense too, as the inner -- and therefore thinner -- parts of the whip experience way more shear stress during use. At least that's how it works in my head, and I'll stop hijacking this thread right now tongue

Good work, waiting to see it finished!

- Pokkis

Antti "Pokkis" Mäkinen wrote:
Erik Torpström wrote:

Yeah, at least that's what I've noticed by trial and error. It makes sense too, as the inner -- and therefore thinner -- parts of the whip experience way more shear stress during use. At least that's how it works in my head, and I'll stop hijacking this thread right now tongue

Good work, waiting to see it finished!

- Pokkis

Again sorry Erik for highjacking the thread. Pokkis i am not sure you are right here. In engineering a tube is almost as strong as a massive section, because all the stress will be on the outside - farthest away from the center. So in my humble opinion you get the most effective binding on the outer layers. But to make a smooth transition in your binding - the core / 1st layer binding is essential.

If you feel you are hijacking, start a new thread with the new subject.

Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap. 
                                                                                    ~Management

So, I have the whip waxed and finished but the thing is - I haven't heard of Charlie for a month now.

I'm very pleased how it turned out and it's a really good whip and I don't want to ship it before I hear from him - or considering the circumstances - before I've received a whip for him.

Last time I heard of him he PM'd me January 20th:

Hi Erik,
just to say sorry for going AWOL and that I have nearly finished your whip, the overlay is done but I am not happy with the knots so I want to re-work them when I get back home at the end of Jan. I hope you are well and happy

Charlie

I haven't heard of him since. Frankly, while we had this trade set up it's not very responsible for him to leave me guessing for a month : /

At this point what I would like to do is offer the whip for sale at the martial arts seminar I'm heading tomorrow.
I'd really need the cash at this point, but if I don't get it sold I'll offer it for trade here.

What do you guys think?

Charlie has been put back to Wait for Registration by the Admins or Robby, I imagine for lack of contact. Shame, I liked his spirit.

It sounds like his whip for you is nearly done so maybe there's still a chance you can still finish the swap.

Think for yourself, act for everyone.

Strange about Charlie, no idea why he's vanished. Robert and I contacted him about meeting up, and he seemed up for it but then... nothing. I hope he's alright.

'Sic Parvis Magna'

I had a very short e-mail from Charlie on Feb. 2 - nothing since then. I, too, hope he's all right, but imagine that he's just gone travelling somewhere....

'Less is often more!'

Sell it, Erik. I don't think that we're going to see Charlie again. It's the old problem... People come here, they are overwhelmed and passionate. Then they see that their promises need some work to be fulfilled. That's it. I'm really sorry to say that, Erik. But you won't receive anything from Charlie. Not today, not in two month, not in a year.

Rog - I'm sorry for you, too. But you won't hear anything from James Holly. His last post way at the 13rd of December. His last visit was at feb. 8 - no post at all. For him it's the same as it is for Charlie. His account was deleted right now.

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

Alright, Robby! It's okay, I just needed the confirmation. As you can understand from my post - I had given up on him already.

It's a shame but then again - I get to keep the whip!

I'll post the pictures in my "whips I've made" topic. This thread can be closed if you ask me!

It's weird that he disappeared all of a sudden hmm Hope he's ok though.

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.