Re: Feather

Erik, I think with the protective coating she put on it it should wear just fine.
I wouldn't  call it " stain" I would call it "patina" . smile

My old truck had a lot of rustic patina on it.

Ron

It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

I love this, Jessie.  You are such an artist!

Thanks.  There was a stop in the rain, so I took it outside for a photo showing how it looks after the stain and polyurethane sealant.  It's much more subtle now and it's very shiny.  Still can't see much.   The poly sure does make it feel nice and slick in your palm though.  It's wonderful to hold.  I'm looking forward to seeing how it throws after its all over. 

Core is done.  I'll put on the first belly today.

http://i.imgur.com/YUEky7U.jpg

Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap. 
                                                                                    ~Management

Really beautiful!!!!

Inch by inch.

Jessie, that handle is really wonderful - and somehow very feminine without being at all 'girly'. Terrific! A real 'Jessie' creation!

'Less is often more!'

Jessie, just amazing. It's perfect.

"BOOM"

Ron

Core done, taped, bound, first belly done, taped, bound.  Blisters on my blisters.  Now, the fun part.

It's going to be my heaviest whip I ever made.  Not on purpose.  I never really know how I manage that, but it is what it is.  It will be pretty though, I think. 

http://i.imgur.com/PcB2uFH.jpg

~Management

How ironic.
The feather whip the heaviest one.
It's going to be epic.

Ron

Heh.  Yeah, I never thought of that.

~Management

Awesome! The conditioning really does justice to the burning in.

Would it be possible to get some insight on how the thong is attached to the handle?

Ron, what I was trying to say was if it went darker from use it might blur the thin space between burn lines messing up detail.

Rustic patina... that's exactly what I told at my yearly car inspection but the guy didn't share my appreciation as his foot went trought the floor.

Jessie, this is going to be epic. Heavy? You know I like heavy whips - but how long will this one be? I do love the idea of the feather handle on a heavy thong!

'Less is often more!'

It is awesome!  See, you're a whipmaker too.  Great work!

Inch by inch.

Jessie, the woodburning on the handle that you've made looks very beautiful - WOW !!!
The thong of this whip has a very even taper and the binding looks very good as well - my greatest compliments to your work Jessie (fistbomb) smile !!!

All the best
Ben

The overlay is done.  The weird taped part is where the TH will go  and then, wax...and then done.  Maybe.  I have been toying with the idea of wet sanding the finish and putting another coat of poly on just to make it really nice and smooth and shiny.  Maybe...IDK.  We will see how I feel when this damned TH happens. 

http://i.imgur.com/1hyGlOO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZodU0D2.jpg

~Management

Ben Varsek wrote:

Jessie, the woodburning on the handle that you've made looks very beautiful - WOW !!!
The thong of this whip has a very even taper and the binding looks very good as well - my greatest compliments to your work Jessie (fistbomb) smile !!!

All the best
Ben

Lol, thanks Ben.  But, just between you and me, that is *fistbump* and then you blow it up.  Robby and I demonstrated this, remember?  big_smile

Erik Torpström wrote:

Awesome! The conditioning really does justice to the burning in.

Would it be possible to get some insight on how the thong is attached to the handle?

Sorry, Erik.  I didn't see this.  I kind of explained how I do this in the "attaching cores" thread.  Basically, I drilled a hole center in the handle--big enough for a piece of spring steel or a steel rod, nail--whatever, to be epoxied in there.  (I have a tap and die set, so I can make it a screw-in situation with epoxy for more hold, but just epoxy works too).  But, before I do that, I grind down the handle and make a lip just above the rod part.  See kindergarten drawing on dirty piece of scrap paper below: 

http://i.imgur.com/xSqm0Np.jpg

~Management

Jessie, that looks super. Nice taper and the seams look very straight.
Maybe if you are going to sand and add more poly you might want to wait on the TH transition knot so no poly gets on it.

This is going to be a special whip for sure. smile

Ron

Yeah...I was thinking of that too.

~Management

Jessie it's looking great!  You're doing a fantastic job on a very special whip!

Inch by inch.

Oh my GOD.  My first Turks head and it was SO HARD! It took me 2 tries on the mandrel and 45 minutes trying to tighten that rat's nest down.  Ugh.  I got it now though.  I can do this again and it will be much less like going into battle with a scribble. 
Tonight I learned:  Go with 1 pass on the mandrel and do more passes when it is actually on the whip.  Don't sit and try to fiddle all those strands.  Much easier to "sew" it on after. Jah-heez.

http://i.imgur.com/7BBaKsP.jpg

I'm going to go wax now.  Almost done.

~Management