Topic: Feather

Just a question.  For those of you that make whips with a permanent handle, any ideas on how to wax and not get the wax on the handle?  I was thinking a plastic bag and masking tape...

Anyhoo...feather.  Obviously, it makes no real sense to take pictures, since the round handle hides at least half.  Another topic of interest, taking good pictures in "the round"

http://i.imgur.com/pK0IzcZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7xhQVfQ.jpg

Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap. 
                                                                                    ~Management

Re: Feather

Could you wax everything before you attach the handle?

I had a similar dilemma for waxing a whip with a concho and ferrule and couldn't come up with a solution.

If I can't run fast, I'll make slow look impressive.
"By the power of ibuprofen!"

Btw, cool handles.

I do that with the cow whips.  this one will be built in.

~Management

How about waxing it all and then use a hair dryer to remove it from the handle?

Jessie, that 4' snake whip I put Roy's handle knob on was waxed then I just epoxied it on.
I was concerned about the glue not sticking to the waxed thong, but it turned out fine and solid.
Now I know a knob is different with stress points and leverage differences, but it did turn out good.

Ron

It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

Awesome!
If you can, do a test run on a scrap piece with some lines burned in to see if the wax can be wiped out of the lines warm. If it can you can dip the whole thing, wipe it down when you hang it, then buff (or even hand buff) the handle when cool. As long as it isn't too thick paraffin is a decent wood finish.

Jessie, that handle is very special! And I suspect Efren may be right: the paraffin might be just what you need as a wood finish.

'Less is often more!'

Wipe it down while it's still hot.  You can use a hair dryer to get the rest mostly off, but I wouldn't if there is poly finish on it.  I don't put my handles in the wax, but I have a round pot, so I'm unable to. 

I add a little coconut oil to the wax and it will soften it a bit too.  When I have it I put a little beeswax in it as well. 

That's one beautiful handle!

Inch by inch.

Jessie, that is one beautiful handle.
That looks like it was so tedious to do.
Great job.

Ron

It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

Jeez Jessie that handle is beautiful!!

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Thank you.  It is a little tedious, but IDK.  It's worth it to me.  I would like some color to it.  Would a plain old wood stain do okay under the wax?

~Management

It should, Jessie.  Just a stain should.

Inch by inch.

Miss Jessie that looks great. That had to be very time consuming. I didn't realize haw much work went into making those handles and those little knobs.  I have a friend that has a lathe so I made my first 2 handles and 6 knobs yesterday. I will definitely be purchasing one in the future. As soon as I get them finished I will post some pictures.

How long did you work on that...? I love the details, Jessie. Very nice work. You must be a very patient person to do such a thing. You know - the huge Black Jack lettering wasn't my thing. But this is simply beautiful and elegant. Very good job, Ms. Edwards!

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

Thank you.

~Management

That is some tedious work you managed there Jessie. Absolutely elegant and beautiful. Congrats lady

He died for me, I'll live for him

Thanks.  The core is officially bound.  I hate binding.  It's the most no fun part, especially the core.  I'll take a picture tomorrow when the sun shows up.  If it shows up.

~Management

Really nice work on the pyrography, I love the design! I known it looks better this way but I would've placed the feather on the other end of the handle, just because using it a lot would stain it (even after the conditioning - I'm just guessing) and it would make such an intriquite design less clear over time.

Did you make the handle itself yourself or was it ready made?

Roy turned the handle for me

~Management