Topic: Blackjack's Gambler Whip

So, as some of you veterans know, I participate in a Single Action Sharp Shooting group (SASS or WOWS--Wisconsin Old West Shootists).  My brother in law is the marshal for our "town" (leader) and his registered cowboy name is Blackjack.  He has been slow to embrace the whips and invested in one, but refuses to crack it because it is "expensive" (not really.  It was a really fair price for a 10-foot).  Since I need the practice and have my own ideas about whip individuality, I thought I would make him a whip for Christmas specific to his alternate cowboy ego.  If it's free, maybe he will learn and practice with it. If it's pretty, maybe I can build a rep here in the area. This will be whip number 8. 

The thong is crimson and is 7 feet from heel to knot with (yay Tyler, I finally did it!)  A weighted fall:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk174/Jessica_Rosen_Edwards/unnamed%2014_zpsx27csi27.jpg

The handle was one I got from Roy.  He did a really great job turning them for me.  I have pyropaper now!  But...I am struggling.  I may practice  a bit with it later on with something else.  This handle I will just freehand draw everything I want and burn from there like I normally do.  I started with cards.  Blackjack (the name) will be carved down the handle and some leather tooling type fru fru will fill in the rest.

It begins:  http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk174/Jessica_Rosen_Edwards/unnamed%2013_zpsqffb6bqj.jpg

Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap. 
                                                                                    ~Management

Re: Blackjack's Gambler Whip

Jessie, that thong looks super.
I really like that color and the handle.
For the leather tooling marks are you going to emboss it with the actual tools?
This is going to be a very cool whip.

Ron

It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

Awesome, WS!!!  This is going to be a real beauty!!! Wow!!!!!

Inch by inch.

No, I don't have any leather tooling...um...tools.  I just draw and burn.  I do plan on adding color to the wood.  nothing scary, but just enough to make it match the thong.  Red stain on the hearts for example.

~Management

Miss Jessie your thong looks great. It looks very beefy with a nice taper. How far is it loaded or is it?

I use lead line, not much, 4 strands, the longest going halfway down the thong, with the other three getting shorter progressively up the thong.  I tend to make rather heavy whips, though they aren't necessarily big girth-wise.  My cores are naturally falling (not twisted), but cut in a taper with the strands different lengths.  I bind that whole mess as tight as possible (I pull with my whole weight) with hockey tape, then sinew bind like a mother before plaiting the first belly.  Etc. Etc. Etc.  Nothing special. 

The first bit is burned.  I will put in the shading and stuff in after all the basics are burned in.  Now to start drawing in the lettering.  I have a pretty cheapy wood burner, so its taking a while,  I'm not sure how hot the fancy burners get, but this works fine.  It might be good not to give me the sharp knife anyway.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk174/Jessica_Rosen_Edwards/unnamed%2015_zpsa3dykvsq.jpg

~Management

Woah that design on the handle is look very very nice!!

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Looking*
Sorry I just woke up lol

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Looking great Jessie!

Inch by inch.

Jessie, that looks fantastic.
What is the card on the bottom? (club,spade,heart, diamond)
I think it needs that showing that part partially obscured by the top card.
Great job.

Ron

Lettering penciled in:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk174/Jessica_Rosen_Edwards/unnamed%2017_zpsrlqkmu3p.jpg

Annnnd Burned.  Ron, I stuck a bit of a spade in the bottom card while I was in there starting fires.  Just for you.  smile

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk174/Jessica_Rosen_Edwards/whipfix_zpshv7ypcns.jpg

I think I'll just start drawing in the filigree tonight.  My hand is a little tired from trying to do this on such a roundy surface.

~Management

Far out that looks incredible! What do you use to burn that into the wood? yikes

Just a 10$ cheap hobby wood burner. 

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk174/Jessica_Rosen_Edwards/unnamed%2018_zps9bm7s3vz.jpg

I lost my tip in the move, so my husband made this one for me today by threading a hunk of metal (brass maybe?) and grinding a quick tip on it for me.  It works fine for now.  I always wondered if they made wood burners with a shorter shaft and thinner handle, so you could hold it closer for detail work.  It's hard on your hand to try to hold steady on a round surface, but I think part of it is just the fact that wood burning pens are not at all ergonomic.
They are too big around and they should shorten that shaft about 3/4 of an inch.

~Management

Ah that's awesome! I remember reading somewhere you can make one yourself, with like a wire and a battery to make it very close up work, but I wouldn't know, I've never dealt with wood myself. I can barely draw stick figures, let alone burn a pattern into a wooden handle haha

Also I find it kinda funny that the wood burner is made of wood as well big_smile

Beautifully done, Jessie, really beautifully done!

Inch by inch.

Thanks.  This was what I really wanted.  A keepsake heirloom kind of thing.  I just showed my sister and she seems really happy with it.

~Management

Jessie that is so cool and "authentic" looking.
(pm sent)

Ron

Wow Jessie, love the handle. That IS a beefy thong though. Is it heavy?

Think for yourself, act for everyone.

Jessie, this is going to be special!  smile

'Less is often more!'

That looks too cool Jessie. Your plaiting looks great and I love that color. Your brother inlaw is a lucky man

He died for me, I'll live for him