Topic: For Jeff :)

It doesn't look like much yet but this is where it starts and ends- the handle. 
13" Wenge

http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y349/RachelMcCollough/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpszjdlmipv.jpg

It's started and I will keep up to date as I go along here smile

Inch by inch.

Re: For Jeff :)

Rachel, I have been and still am amazed that you can produce the quality handles that you do....... by hand. smile
That's some pretty wood, I can't wait to see it oiled and complete.

Ron

It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

Wooo! Take extra special care for splinters and dust, and let me know what you think. I've never worked with this stuff before.

Its too cool that you do it by hand.  How long does it take you to do a handle?

Thank you Ron smile

Efren I sure will on both counts!

Miss Bobbi thank you, it depends some on the type of wood and kind of handle.  A cow whip handle, total around 2.5 hours including finish. 
An Amper Style, closer to 4 with a bit extra sanding and stamping.

Inch by inch.

Looks beautiful already! Thanks!

Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.

Thank you very much for sharing picutres of the creation of Mr. Roseborough's whip Mrs. McCollough !!!

2,5 houres for a handmade cow whip handle in that fantastic quality that you have shown in this forum is extremly fast - my greatest compliments to you Mrs. McCollough !!!

All the best
Ben

Jeff you are mightily welcome, I'm glad you like it so far! 

Ben thank you, I appreciate it!

Inch by inch.

Here's the core- time for the first belly.  I'm going to shift the weight forward just a bit and put an English Eye twist on the end if it works out like I plan.
http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y349/RachelMcCollough/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsoqruuxlq.jpg

Inch by inch.

Rachel, that's some tight and rolled binding .
Looks great.
How are you going to move the weight forward in this one?

Ron

Thanks, moving the drops forward (longer) on the TT.  Just a bit.  If you have the numbers from your whip pattern you like, you can figure it as percentage- and resize any feet you like.  To move weight back or forward, you can adjust your percentages for length of core and bellies, and length of drops on your core.  If you wait to drop your first strand on your core (from a 4TT-3TT) just an inch or two, it will of course move the next layers' drops further down as your majority of taper all starts with the backbone of the whip- the TT in this case. 
It directs the whole taper.

Inch by inch.

Ahh, thanks Rachel.

Ron

Wenge handle is about 1/2 done...
http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y349/RachelMcCollough/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpstep0fanr.jpg

Inch by inch.

Niiice!!

Thanks Erik!

First belly is done and ready to bind but I'm out of daylight pic tomorrow on that.

Inch by inch.

You still amaze me Rachel at the perfection of your handles.
From a rasp and file and sandpaper. Amazing.

I think you have a lathe in the back room that has a "top secret" level of access. smile

Ron

That is a Very Nice looking handle.  You dazzle me with your skill.  I could not do half as well with a lathe. 
Do you put any laquer on handles to seal/protect them and make them shine?

Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.

Thanks Ron, and on that top secret lathe- if you find let me know, I'd like to try it out!

Jeff thanks, yessir I put Tung Oil on them for weatherproofing.  With a few more coats, it will be shiny.  It will be a very dark brown and black, and quite shiny if you like, just let me know how shiny you'd prefer!

Inch by inch.

Second belly ready for binding, then time for some fun stuff smile
http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y349/RachelMcCollough/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps3m1wggqp.jpg

Inch by inch.

OOOH Shiny! Shiny is good.