Re: The 10/10 Challenge

You better not leave out the voices!

Inch by inch.

Jessie, I think Bueller has taken the day off.

I think you're absolutely right . I was possibly overcompensating and forcing my tiring arm to complete the throw.
When you say "finish" where should the finish be?
Like behind the right (or left depending on which arm is being used) leg?
That sounds like a good plan. Five one side , five on the other. The left side is really going to suck big time.
Thank you for the great advise.

Ron

When you're choreographing your life, sometimes you have to dance with the music you're given.

Thank you Rachel for sharing that with us.
The one thing I could think of is to take a little time between cracks and not to rush it.
But your WS could probably give you better feed back on form than I.

Ron

When you're choreographing your life, sometimes you have to dance with the music you're given.

Thank you, Ron!

Inch by inch.

This is a great idea, Jessie! (I'm sending you an e-mail about it....)

Ron, one thing you're not doing is something Robby caught me not doing: after the whip cracks, try following through in one smooth motion, bringing the whip right out behind you. That way, it's all ready for the next crack, and you won't have to re-position it before bringing it forward.

Rachel, you're doing something Robby caught me doing. Try pausing a moment between cracks. You follow through well, bringing the whip out behind after the crack; but just let it rest a moment before bringing it forward for the next crack. You can speed up later; the important things is to get the form right from the beginning.

The Victorian Cutback. I tried and tried to get this in Munich. I still haven't got it; but Robby suggested I work with just a handle. I find letting the handle 'drop' in my hand, and then letting it twist around, deeply counter-intuitive. (This is where Jessie said, 'Just be the princess in the garden', neatly pirouetting as she performed the crack!) I'll get it - but I haven't got it yet!

Jessie Edwards wrote:

Also, I have terrific news.  Robby has very generously offered to pay everyone participating in the challenge 20$ each, every time they turn their cameras to landscape when they film themselves, to help us all remember...thank you Robby!!!  (((((Biiiig hug))))  You rule!

Did I do that...? Really? I think, we have to talk, Jessica Edwards...  wink

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

Thank you Mr. Robert, I will slow it down and hit the pause button wink

Inch by inch.

Rachel, just wondering if you need to bring your hand down a little further as you finish the crack. You appear to be finishing the movement at about 4 o'clock instead of 6 o'clock. At least that's what I understand from Robby's DVD tutorial.

One, two, three... "WOOF!"

I won't be able to do this every day as I'm out from dawn to dusk at least twice a week at the moment but I will try to get out there and shoot a few vids of me cracking.

One, two, three... "WOOF!"

Thanks Roger, I sure am doing that.   Bad habit I've developed!

Inch by inch.

Thank you Mr. Robert.
I will definitely try to follow through behind me more. smile

Ron

Wow Robby, just think if I do about 13 videos I could buy an Exowhip or even a Holyoak Valkyrie. Thank you so much. smile smile smile

*evil laugh ensues*
( heh heh heh heh heh)

Ron

Robby Amper wrote:

Did I do that...? Really? I think, we have to talk, Jessica Edwards...  wink

Robby

Yyyyessssss?  OMG, you mean that was only for ME!??  Oh sorry guys.  That was only for me.  Shit. 

Okay.  Gave Robby a hard time.  Check.  Onward.

Ron.  I think, when Robby said to finish what you start, he meant to bring your hand all the way back to starting position with every crack and let the energy dissipate on the follow through instead of stopping it with your arm (which is hard on your arm) or just letting it fall to the ground, which does not look as nice.  He can clarify, but that is how I understood it. 

Rachel, you are so stinkin' cute. I can't stand it. 

I really think you were letting the whip do the work.  It really did not seem to me like you were forcing it or worrying about the end result.  (this is good) Maybe bring the actual crack down further, to about 4 o'clock and finish?  Your loop is more along the lines of 2:30 to 3 o'clock, which is just farther shy of where it should be for a coachman's crack.

Robert, "(This is where Jessie said, 'Just be the princess in the garden', neatly pirouetting as she performed the crack!)"
I have never, in my life, neatly pirouetted.  One of my attempts at acting (yep, it happened), put me in a roll playing a homeless, drunk, ex-actress in a very local production of You Can't Take it With You (where I spent 2/3rds of the play passed out on the fainting couch).  In that play was a character named Essie, who desperately wants to be a ballerina, but spends the entire play stumbling around like a bull in a china shop.  Just call me, Essie.  smile

I hug the people I hate, so I know how big to dig the hole in the backyard.

Dang Jessie, there's go my plan on financing a pro-made whip. sad
*pondering which arm or leg I could do with out.... naaah I'll just learn to make a better one* smile

Ron

Today's challenge is complete.
Five throws on the right followed by five throws on the left, rinse lather and repeat.
I had a hard time keeping count on left or right but it's obviously difficult for me to count to five while crackin' . (a challenge for a guy who can't walk and chew gum)
I would get all wrapped up in completing the crack in stead of counting.

The video autopsy revealed that I have very little left side coordination.
It seemed so weird to me. It was actually worse than my first time crackin' on the right side. (or so it seemed)

I will upload the video when Mom takes her nap so she won't complain about her Roku buffering all the time while the upload is completed.
She didn't know why the show she was watching kept buffering (that little circle going around and around ) yesterday. I told her that it was probably just too much traffic on the internet provider..... (come on... it was the truth). smile

Ron

Ron you truthful sneak video uploader you!

Jessie you are correct it's a good bit high.  Got to thinking about it and I see why- one, I was on an incline which only exacerbated the problem, and two- when I try out a fresh made whip I paranoid about it getting dirty. 
Know why, now I can work on fixing it!  Thank you!

2/10 done,
2 on right was it.  8 on left.  Right arm is sore (nasty old torn muscle)
Ah well.

Inch by inch.

Jessie Edwards wrote:

Just call me, Essie.

Jessie, you are far too hard on yourself! You must let the beholder decide these things. smile

Here's the video of this mornings practice.

https://youtu.be/bKFPojzyQ3U

Ron

Thank you for showing. I just learned that I will not start practicing with a 3 foot snakewhip.

I really like how "slow" and controlled your whip rolls, Ron.

Thank you Alexander. smile
That's " Blue Lightning" for ya.

Ron