Topic: Ben's whip

Tonight I started to build the whip that Ben won in the raffle. I offered the choice of a traditional cow whip or a cup style woodie bullwhip. Ben chose the cup style bullwhip in black with an Ash handle.
Any good whip starts with a good core. This twisted core is wrapped tight with many layers of sinew. This nearly destroyed my fingers tonight but it was worth the effort

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o760/47royboy/3BBA56AF-FB81-4998-894A-35D67548E8D3_zpscxpfkhnx.jpg

The first belly is 8 plait and I went with the chessboard plait for 12 inches. This will give it some stiffness and spring.

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o760/47royboy/C8980B09-62C1-40C7-97B1-3465DC03A59C_zpsjiuj2hsr.jpg

More to come

He died for me, I'll live for him

Re: Ben's whip

Ben is one lucky fellow.

Ron

It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

Ron May wrote:

Ben is one lucky fellow.

Agreed! Roy, that looks as near perfect as any human being could manage.  smile

'Less is often more!'

What you're doing there is the beginning of a great whip. And Ben is a lucky guy!
But what I like best, is the "Poster" in the background. That sums up pretty everything I
value.

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

Looking great, I bet Ben is super excited!  Thank you for sharing the build with us.

Inch by inch.

Robby, I hope you mean both posters! The mottoes - and the dogs!  smile

'Less is often more!'

Thank you all! Robby, I love that sign. Lindsay has signs scattered around the house that always give great inspiration when needed.

I finished the first belly of 8 plait to 6,5,4. My next quest is binding. I am contemplating how I am going to bind it. I remember Devin stating that this type of whip doesn't need much binding. Should I go with that, or should I bind the crap out of it? What are your thoughts?

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o760/47royboy/E53C8E21-7AFB-4DA2-90E3-EBA0D8250A2E_zps2lh6trsd.jpg

WOW !!!

Dear Mr. Partin,
THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!

The TT core that you've made looks superb, the sinew binding is as tight as it could be and the paliting is spot on - it's all is proove that this is the work of a true perfectionist - thank you so much Mr. Partin !!!

All the previous comments are absolutely right:
The dogs are the main focus of this campaign and I am very excited to be the lucky winner of this awesome prize smile !!!

All the best
Ben

Roy that looks super!  Very exciting build!

On binding, may I humbly suggest about 14-18" progressive binding at the transition?  Give a little feel and stability but allow it to still immediately form a loop?  Let the rest fly... Unless of course you add a TT.

Inch by inch.

I meant give it a little EXTRA feel and stability.  Sorry.

Inch by inch.

Roy, I think that Rachel has a good idea on that. smile

Ron

Gotcha Rachel, thanks for the advice. You have built a few a these, so I figured you would know. Would you use closed loop, open loop, or both?

Ben is soooo lucky smile

Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap. 
                                                                                    ~Management

Anytime!  I use both, 1 layer closed loop first keeps everything smooth on first belly.  I generally do 3 layers open, on top of one layer closed.  6, 12, 18".  Starting at 1/4" spacing and expanding out to 3/4".   On second belly I use no closed loop, only open.

Inch by inch.

Thanks Rachel that helps a bunch. I didn't follow your directions exactly, but it gave me a dang good starting point. I'm happy with the binding on this first belly. It has a nice regressive stiffness

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o760/47royboy/B170B851-4715-4430-918C-8AF33440132E_zpspbpgxyi9.jpg

Looks great!  It looks like it's got good life and feel to it!

Inch by inch.

Boy howdy Roy, just look at that taper. smile
That binding looks digressive indeed . It should progressively help increase the energy of the wave loop very nicely.
Nice job.

Ron

Roy. this is so exciting! Your attention to detail, your experience, and your willingness to innovate are producing something quite remarkable!  smile

'Less is often more!'

Outstanding work Mr. Partin !!!

The bound first belly is looking excellent - thank you so much for sharing the pictures smile !!!

All the best
Ben