Topic: New Academy handles by David Cross

Hi Y'all,
  so here are some pics on the build for my Acedemy, with my first handle by David.  Here's a side by side comparison with David's handle and the old ones I was using:

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad343/pacificfirebrush/Academyhandles_zps9vvaxqs4.jpg

David's is the one on the left- note how fine the rim around the hole is, and how thick it is on the other.  I used to use my belt sander to taper that down, and I thought, "one day I'm going to have an accident..."  Also, note how much thinner overall David's handle is.  In fact, here's a better illustration:

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad343/pacificfirebrush/Academyhandles2_zpsns8fchkg.jpg

David's handle actually nests inside the old one.  Gee, I think this might come out a little more streamlined, and less bulky!

Here is the loaded 4 plait core with the hole for the thong:

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad343/pacificfirebrush/Academyhandles3_zpsfq6p12lz.jpg

After bolsters and binding, it was pretty much a perfect fit- in fact, you might say too perfect... David, I think you had mentioned this as a possibility, but right now the only change I would want is to have a side hole for the epoxy to squish out of on insertion.  I put E6000 on the thong and inside the hole, and when I inserted it I felt resistance and when I let it go it actually popped right back out!  The epoxy formed a gooey seal and made an air pocket in the hole that kept ejecting the thong!  I finally got it, I inserted it and twisted it around and partially pulled it out, back in, etc... I "burped" it in. 

These last two are comparisons- on top is an unfinished academy with the old style handle, on bottom is the current one.  These are both covered with flat braid at this point- hopefully you can see how much more streamlined the new one is:

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad343/pacificfirebrush/Academyhandles4_zpszxisgkw1.jpg

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad343/pacificfirebrush/Academyhandles5_zpszg1g0n6g.jpg

Thanks David!  I'll post side by sides of this one and a finished old style when this ones finished.  I'll definitely be ordering more of these!  Actually at some point I want to try one of these out on one of my standard bullwhips, just to see how it feels smile

Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!

Re: New Academy handles by David Cross

Excellent Work and Congratulations, both Tyler and David!!!

Inch by inch.

That looks very good indeed.
Thank you for sharing that Tyler.

Ron

It's ok if you disagree with me.
I can't force you to be right.

Thanks Y'all, and thanks again to David- I consider this an improvement in every way.

It really looks great!

Inch by inch.

Tyler,

First, let me say how happy I am that you like the handle. They're going to be much faster and easier to produce than the old method, and it sounds like you're going to get a more accurate fit for your whips this way. I'm definitely on board with making more of them; I even have some stock left that I can use.

Next time, definitely drilling some relief holes. The minimum I can handle (har har) is 1/8", so I'm hesitant to drill more than one set. It would definitely help with allowing the air to escape, which was one of my concerns when we originally started talking about this. I'm glad to hear you got it to fit.

We can talk about size differences, hole depth, etc, when you feel ready to do another whip. For now, I'm anxiously awaiting the finished product!

@ Tyler Blake:

Awesome work Tyler (I also like you coffe mug smile ), cant wait to see the finished result !!!

@ David Cross:

The handle you have made looks just like you other steel work: pefrect and excellent !!!
Very well done Mr. Cross !!!

All the best
Ben

The new one looks so much more refined and the transition's taper looks much smoother.

Thanks Ben- I thought you might like that smile  (My wife got that for me ;P)

Thanks Phil- it definitely is!  I only have about 7 inches left to plait, I'll get it tonight for sure smile

This is my first time seeing this. That is fascinating that you are into steel work, as well David.

I guess it should be of no surprise in this community, but I had not thought of whip makers collaborating with materials and so forth. It's nice to see. :-)

Definite difference in smoothness Tyler. Nice work David!

Think for yourself, act for everyone.

Thanks, guys. Collaboration is something we don't see nearly enough of, not just in whipmaking, but in society in general. Between the lot of us, we have a diverse enough skillset that we could all be pitching in to help one another. Roy has already pulled the trigger on supply, with his website. I also see some wood handles being traded back and forth.

If I ever get the time again, I'm doing more than just handles. My contribution is tools and handles. Somebody else will have something to offer, I don't doubt.

Very cool!  Both of you.  I'm excited to see where this goes.  smile

Tristan, it really is ideal because David makes whips too so he gets it... I don't have to explain the function to him, he already knows:)

I just sent one of these to Germany and one to Austria, and I'm still so glad to have these handles.

Thanks for sharing Tyler. It does look a lot more streamlined than with the older handle. David is it stainless tubing or solid Aluminum with the hole drilled out ?

Tyler and |David - this is a splendid collaboration!  smile

'Less is often more!'

Johnny, it's T6 aluminum; the same alloy used in aircraft construction and most modern lightsaber replicas. Some of the saber hilts can get to be quite thin (regarding wall thickness of the tubing itself) and still hold up to full-contact dueling. Bear in mind that these sabers are usually made of several pieces attached via male/female threading. It's already impressive that a material so lightweight and thin can stand up to those forces, but to have two pieces connected by threading stand up to it?

T6 is beast. It's also easily machined. I love the material. Also, no oxidation, so no grey rub-off. It's wonderful.

Plus, I'm no longer in fear of grinding my fingers off!  tongue

Yeah, that was not exactly the safest arrangement. I'm only happy to help. ^_^

David, when we first started talking about this and I told you how I was doing it I imagined you doing a facepalm tongue