Re: This is the Gallery of "Gator Whips" - Roy Partin

Thanks Tyler, that is Goncalo Alves wood. I'm ready whenever you are

He died for me, I'll live for him

I was asked to make this latest whip as a prize for a rodeo queen. The Silvers Spurs Rodeo Club is awarding one of the pageant contestants the "Doug Partin Spirit Award" for their involvement in the community. Doug is a cousin of mine that passed away a few years ago. He was always involved with the rodeo and ranching community. I placed Doug's "U" brand on the handle, along with a silver spur rowel in the heel. The thong is 8' 16 plait in electric blue. This whip has the 4 plait core I am testing out.

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o760/47royboy/8890E3CE-7605-4E23-BCE9-C0753467DF71_zps7ripgy0r.jpghttp://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o760/47royboy/74B2A4BB-D226-44B0-86FE-C6DB51AE5DD1_zpscos66cwj.jpghttp://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o760/47royboy/97F6DA9D-DD28-49C9-A87B-0959E59684A5_zpsukvgeuq8.jpg

That's a special beauty right there, it fits so very well. 
Another fine piece of art. 
What do you think of the core?

Inch by inch.

Thanks a bunch Rachel. The core appears to work just fine, but I still like the tapering of the twist better. The 4 plait will work great though for people that aren't comfortable with the twist. They both work well for a two belly whip without causing them to be overly heavy.

Roy, I sure like the rowel in the heel.
Another special touch that makes it unique.

Ron

Amazon has just been approved for drone delivery.
We now have skeet shooting with prizes.

Roy, I heartily agree with Ron: that rowel is very fine, and makes the whip very special.  smile

'Less is often more!'

That looks really unique, i love it. I think the twisted taper has a much more subtle taper to it then a plaited core, i'm still trying to figure out a way to get the plaited core to taper better on my whips too.

Thank you Ron, Mr Robert and Philbert. Surprisingly, it required a lot of searching to find a silver rowel that would fit the heel. Philbert I agree on liking a subtle taper.

That's a great prize for someone to win.

I've tried the four plait core but tapering is always the issue...

Think for yourself, act for everyone.

Very cool!  I love that you got to take pictures of it with the spurs.

Wow, I like the idea with the spurs, this is an excellent piece of art. Great job, Roy.

All the best
Mario

That's awesome Roy!  The spurs are the ideal prop for the photo too smile

Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!

That's gorgeous Roy, very stylish and - may I say - very American :DD!

Thank you guys. My dirty and rusted spurs didn't look good in the pic, so I borrowed the girls shiny ones. I like how they turned out

Roy, I think the dirty rusty spurs would have lent some authenticity to the photo.
The whips you make are tools after all just like the spurs.

Ron

@ Roy Partin:

I also love the spur at the end of the whip and how it underlines the rodeo-cowhand theme of this functional piece of art!!!

Very well done Sir!!!

All the best
Ben

Thank you Ben. Ron, I agree that old and weathered suits me better.
I love making whips for charity and fundraisers. It gives me the opportunity to be creative. A few customers have requested a performance type of whip, so last night's FFA auction gave me the perfect opportunity to design something. This is the 5 ft 12 plait "Striker". The core is twisted with an 8 plait belly. What makes this whip different is the 16" fiberglass handle. The heel and cup are epoxied to the fiberglass. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it cracks for a short and light weight whip. I would not hesitate to hand this whip to a child or beginner.

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o760/47royboy/BE703F4F-A34B-4DCB-821B-301F4127D0A7_zpsskiemvpi.jpg

Roy, amazing job on that, that's a really unique looking handle. Love the color combo too. Do you have a close up shot of the handle?

I really like this- totally new and different, with your signature all over it.  It looks great and appears to have multiple unlimited design options!  Really awesome work, Roy.

Inch by inch.

Roy, that looks great.
The wood makes it very unique.
How does the heel knob feel?
A person could even put a transition knot after the handle and before and after the ferrule.

Ron