Re: This is the Gallery of "Gator Whips" - Roy Partin

Awesome Roy- I anticipate my first 14 footer with a mix of curiosity and dread tongue

Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!

What a sweet box of meaty whips.

I'll have one too please (would if I could)!

"There is often greater martyrdom to live for the love of, whether man or an ideal, than to die"

Magnificent, Roy! what fun someone's going to have!  smile

Thank you fellas. Erik, I chuckled at your "meaty whips" comment

He died for me, I'll live for him

This is a 10' 16 plait in OD green that I waxed last night. It has the first handle turned off my new lathe. I love the reverse feature of the lathe that allows me to sand in both directions. It really makes the grain pop out.

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o760/47royboy/0AD07467-8229-47B0-8F90-8EC8EE3A5AFB_zpsnrjwino7.jpghttp://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o760/47royboy/383715C6-8F0B-471C-AA68-C5F7C79E96A3_zpsmvjyku9t.jpg

Awesome! The cord looks more like black though.

Great example of true craftsmanship, Roy. Thank you for the pictures! That wooden handle has really style and looks. I can swear it whispers: "...Crack me! Come on, crack me...!"  smile

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

Roy, good job on the handle.
You are putting that new lather to good use.
(I think I can hear the whisper too..... might be just the usual voices.)

Ron

When you can say, " That was close." you're doing ok.

I was thinking of ordering a new whip after seeing Rachel's latest work this afternoon, looking at this is tempting me even more.

Haha Robby and Ron, you are correct. It was whispering to me all morning but it is too wet and muddy out. I am afraid my customer would be unhappy to receive a muddy whip. Thank you Philbert. That is a common thing with wax, the color will come out completely different than when it goes in.

Philbert Lim wrote:

I was thinking of ordering a new whip after seeing Rachel's latest work this afternoon, looking at this is tempting me even more.

So - what are you waiting for...?

Robby

Robby, i'm keeping my eye on the currency exchange rate to see if it drops more, before going ahead with anything. I already have an idea of what i want. Only thing i'm really worried about is if it'll be able to pass through customs. Tyler says he had a customer from here a couple years back and there was no issue, but i'm still a little worried.

I love this one.  Congratulations on the first handle of many many more.  The picture set up is really great too!

I see. Customs is a real and serious problem here, too.

Robby

Wow.  That nova is working well!
That grain on the handle really does pop, well done, Roy!
And the plaiting, excellent as always, there's a quality and consistency to it that only comes from experienced hands. 
That is beautiful.
I love that last picture with your friend's nose looking through,
The whip is whispering and that friend there is saying no you can't.... Too muddy, Buddy, ha!

Inch by inch.

Robby, i'd be mad as hell paying $200+ for a whip only to have customs send it back or bin it. I'll wait till i get to move if i have to unless i give in to temptation and take a gamble.

Isn't this currency weird?  I have been watching it close too.  I have a few Vietnamese Dong that I would like to exchange when the rate changes.  If it ever changes.  Meh. 

I just love your whips Roy.  I have always been drawn to the simple and sturdy.  Really, there is something so alluring about the natural state of things.  Not plain, but functional beauty.  Like, the grain in the handle.  There it is.  You can't accurately replicate that with paint, or stencils, or stamps.  It just goes to show, Big G knows what he is doing and shows us humans up every time.

If you fall, I'll be there.
                            ~Floor

Roy, I'm not sure I don't think this is your best-looking whip yet! And the handle is splendid!  smile

Thank you all so much for the greatly appreciated complements. Personal life and ranching has put my plaiting on the back burner lately, so I was relieved to have completed this whip.

Really great work Roy- what kind of wood is that?  (I'm going to be wanting more handles soon!)

Yaprimascharif, Yahasanna Hadisany, elafinas tabachu, Dari chalemy elasin!