Topic: Whip Nation

With Robby's support, I have decided to come clean and tell my friends about the plans I am working on. I have had several ideas for a while, sort of a dream, of how to intelligently promote the education and enthusiasm of whips in the US. The Australians have competitions and great passion about it, why can't we have the same? I have also had this thought about how to form a place to consolidate and sell whip making materials. Its always a pain to have to jump from store to store in order to source the needed materials. After much research and planning I have decided to design an online subscribers magazine with a store included. The whole deal is called "Whip Nation". I asked myself "how in the hell will I compete with free social media and all the nonsense it includes." Well, I think the best and only way is to offer free shit! I think that to have weekly, monthly and yearly contests with great prizes will help to build membership. Youtube does not give away quality whips or apparel, but I will. Simple things like photo and video contests come to my mind.
           I would really like for the subscribers to be involved, especially their children. I think to have a page devoted to children and whips would be great. Get the cell phones out of their hands and put a whip in it. I would love to have weekly tips and tricks sent in by the subscribers and professionals alike. I have plans for whip and product reviews. Too many ideas brewing in my mind to place them all right here.
           I am starting off this project by building the store side first. Once the store is complete then I will get creative with the magazine side. I want to include everything from Permalok needles all the way up to Kangaroo Leather. Speaking of roo, I have already imported the hides from Simon Martin. I have set up business accounts with Weaver Leather, Springfield Leather Company, Bickmore Leather Care, and E.L. Wood Braiding Company. E.L. Wood is currently manufacturing my first large order of coreless paracord. I am also in contact with a supplier of paraffin wax. They have plenty of 10lb slabs in stock. I hope to supply my customers with these products at a more affordable price than what is currently out there.
          Yes, I am building a large amount of debt in the way of sleep and money but hopefully one day it will pay off. If you have any ideas, thoughts or opinions (good or bad) then please let me know now. Some nights I have lots of motivation to build on this dream. Other nights I feel like there is no way I can accomplish this monstrosity of a plan. I am sure Robby had the same feeling when he started WB. Thank you for your time, Roy

He died for me, I'll live for him

Re: Whip Nation

Here is the logo and a sample of what the homepage may look like. Please post any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o760/47royboy/A0489340-6977-4A1B-80F0-2028B5DB74B5-17207-000022B7B2E7E932_zpskmpoeovn.jpghttp://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o760/47royboy/37E2AD78-178F-4B0D-95A1-F8AE068F55F9-26696-0000331243691E64_zpsk1qzfzkg.jpg

Roy, that's a fantastic idea. Will you be taking suggestions on what to carry? Can we assume support for nylon whips as well as leather?

Roy, what a great idea!  I would definitely support kangaroo sales if the price is right and the selection is good.  You already have my input for where I get kangaroo and rattan/tohetti cane.  Anything from Packers or Taubmann specifically for whipmaking would be wonderful.

Another thing you might add leather wise is Australian whitehide and redhide for whips and falls.  Redhide is great for simple stockwhips and yardwhips.

Don't forget Pecards Leather Dressing!  I swear by the stuff.

Artificial Sinew! gotta have it.

What about basic whipmaking tools.  All you really need is a sharp knife, but there are tools that can make things easier.  Check out some of my early threads in the leatherworking section for what tools I use.

You might also target this towards the Falconry and craft crowds.  They are always in need of a good source of leather.

I would keep the leather selection simple at first.  Basic natural, saddle, roan, whiskey, brown, and black.  Throw in a few "unique" colors on special every now and again.

Good Luck!
Jeff

Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.

Thanks David and I will absolutely take suggestions on inventory. Yes, Nylon is always at the top of my list. I just got an email with great news for a bulk order of paraffin wax.

Wow. This is amazing to hear and a great thing to pursue! I wish I could be of some help.

What I would like to see is some kind of "scholarship", like "Whip Maker Of The Year" or "Newcomer Of The Year" etc. Competitions are great, but I'd be happy to see people taken by surprise and giving them the recognition they deserve. This is obviously going ahead on the whole idea, but that's what came in mind.

The logo's great and professional. Looking forward to see Whip Nation thrive!

Jeff thanks! I agree with the color selection. Simon sent me Black, Natural and Brandy. I haven't looked into Pecards yet but I have a shipment of Oakwood coming my way. Oakwood is only supplied by Weaver in the US so that's why I had to set up that account. Yes, I will be stocking all the whip making tools I can. Jeff I will look into the Red and Whitehide. I remember hearing Kip, so I ordered some sides of that. I may have to build a warehouse before its over with. Lindsay is loving all the stuff I am storing in the closets

Erik, I appreciate it. Those are ideas that we can build toward

Roy, this is a really splendid idea!

This could also be a major tool for spreading the word that whips aren't just part of the sordid world of BDSM. Here, at least, many people have only to hear the 'whip', and they immediately think 'kinky sex'. It's a real problem for those involved in 'sport' whip-cracking. I suspect that people who live near cows and real cowboys are far less prejudiced; but it might still be worth putting a small disclaimer somewhere on your web site, just to make sure....

But I think it's a great idea! smile

'Less is often more!'

Thanks Mr Robert and yes, there will be no BDSM involved. This will be a family site.

Talking of artificial sinew...I was sorely disappointed with my last order. I was so excited to have white and black, until I opened the box. There isn't enough on those rolls to fill a sewing machine bobbin.

If you're carrying sinew, please, please, please get the big rolls!

David I definitely will carry big rolls only. I thought I could order from Tandy but they won't even talk to me. Unless your big time like Hobby Lobby then Tandy doesn't care about the little man. Springfield Leather responded immediately so that's who I am dealing with

Roy, I think this an absolutely WONDERFUL thing!  I'm sure you've already got this covered... But hats with the WhipNation logo and website address for sale in your store?

Inch by inch.  ~Where there is life, there is always hope.~

Yes Mam! Plus shirts and whip bags also. Paris Print Works is working on that order this week. They should have something to show me by tomorrow.

Nothing but awesome in this thread. Congrats Roy, this is a fantastic idea and will fill a void. Any, ANY, help I can offer, I am in. Sounds like youre well on your way. May take some time to get a base going, but you will succeed.
Excited to watch your dream come to life. Best of luck.

Thanks Taylor, these words you speak really help to keep my enthusiasm up and doubts down. One question I need answered is how do I go about figuring shipping costs on all this stuff? And where do I get all the boxes and packaging material?

The USPS makes shipping pretty easy with their "if it fits it ships" Priority Mail.  Boxes are free from the post office and they will even send boxes to you.  Shipping labels can be generated on their website and actually save you a little bit.  Print out the label and tape it to the box.  You can even schedule pickup though unless you schedule early it will be the next day.

For Kangaroo hides I get from Hardtke they are usually rolled together and wrapped in brown paper, then placed inside mailing tubes or triangle shaped boxes.  You can fit 3-5 or more hides inside a tube.

For packing material I sometimes use Walmart plastic shopping bags.  I have too many to store in my pantry and keep forgetting to take them back for recycling.  They work quite well cushioning sturdy items.  For breakable use bubble wrap.

Jeff

Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.

Usps "if it fits it ships" program? They will bring supplies to your house...free...an you can then know what size box will ship at what price. Fair for all

Jeff beat me to it. Here at work we also use a company called "Uline" for packing materials. Bubble wrap, tape, etc. Good prices,  quick delivery, great customer service.

Sweet, thanks guys. I will definitely look into that. Jeff, is white hide also known as white latigo? I have tried to get a hold of Packer Leather but there has been no response. The roo I got from Simon was packed, shipped and delivered in 10 days. Now that's good customer service.