Topic: Don de Swardt

Firstly Thank you so much to Pokkis and the participants for making this possible....What a legendary idea.

This whip was started before the whip swap idea. It will be whip number 3. So I am both nervous and scared that it will be a disappointment to my recipient. So to you (whoever you may be) I will make you the best whip I can, I promise.

Ok on that note, this thread is to show where I am in the build process and to get feedback. Honest feedback. you never know, you may be influencing the way your whip gets built. So tell me exactly how you feel about things.

Whip specs.

6.6 ft bullwhip
1 strand BB loaded core (to midway)
8 strand 1st belly
12 strand second belly
16 strand overlay.

Here is where I would like the first feedback... I while back we were having a conversation about handle length. The average length being around 10 inches. I wanted to make a whip with a long handle to see how this would feel. I settled on 15 inches. But then the plan for this whip was for me so I didn't really mind making the handle too big, it was an experiment. I have now decided to use this whip for the swap, because I don't want to fall behind on the build (the next few months are busy for me getting married and end of year auditing etc). So will a 15 inch handle ruin a 6,6 ft bullwhip. Should I shorten it now before I carry on. Or should I continue and then get an honest opinion from my recipient?

Without further ado, here is the whip. Core was completed and then bound with artificial sinew (AS). 3 layers gradually decreasing. 1st belly was completed and once again bound with AS in 3 layers.

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w366/Dondeswart/DSC_0041_zpsprprpxn6.jpg

Full whip as is now

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w366/Dondeswart/DSC_0042_zpse4i14rw6.jpg
handle, white blob is my pratley putty heel knot foundation, will get evened out at the end

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w366/Dondeswart/DSC_0043_zpsu2lgkc59.jpg
body

Re: Don de Swardt

Very nice, Don. To be honest - I'm not too sure about the length of the handle. 6,6 feet long and a 15 inch handle... I think that this will be an excellent whip for target work. No doubt about that! But for general cracking I'd say max. 13 inches. On the other hand - that is my personal experience and idea. What I like is your idea of binding. If you think, you have enough binding - start it all over. And no e tape. I would be happy to hear the ideas of the others on handle lengths.

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

Looks like a good start to me smile

Honestly I don't know about the handle length, haven't tried anything that long myself. But that's nothing exceptionally long for a target whip so why not? One of my pipe whips... ehm, I mean Hobo Man's whip, has a 13 inch handle and that's still very much fine for general cracking. Can't imagine 2 more inches making a world of difference. But really, I don't have first hand experience, so my guess isn't any better than anyone else's.

- Pokkis

All my handles have been cut the same - 10.5", for all my bullwhips regardless of thong length. I'm afraid I'm too inexperienced in cracking to know whether this is good or not. They all seem to work well enough for me

Think for yourself, act for everyone.

Thank you for the feedback. OK I guess the question would be, if you received a whip with this length handle would you be upset wink

I would probably cry a little big_smile

No, really, it would be interesting. There are whips with handle this long so obviously it can be done.

- Pokkis

Definitely not. I think that a whip with that thong and handle length would make a great target whip!
You should do the handle length the way you like to do it. It is your whip, Donovan. You decide.

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

Robby Amper wrote:

You should do the handle length the way you like to do it. It is your whip, Donovan. You decide.

Robby

Is the correct answer smile

Think for yourself, act for everyone.

Thank you gentlemen. Let's see how she turns out

Nice work, looks tidy so far.
The handle is a preference thing.
I quite like progress photos, wish I'd done some for the coral snake whip.

It's looking good Donovan!!!  This is very exciting!

Inch by inch.

The handle length to me would be interesting. I use 12 in tent stakes, works well for my rudimentary skills, but would be happy to try a longer one if given one. Robby nailed it, its a gift from YOU, make what YOU wish, noone will complain. Quite the opposite, I expect

Than you Fritz, Rachel and Taylor...

And of course you are right, just so excited by all of this. Like a kid before Christmas. Just want my recipient to love it...

I am the worst person in the world to get a present from. I get so excited about the presents I have gotten someone I usually force them to ope the present days before time. The only present Abigail has opened from me on her birthday was last year when I hid an engagement ring in her gift. The only reason I could contain myself for that long was because I had planned the proposal that way...

Does that mean I will get my lion before Christmas? Awesome!
I get it D, I have the same problem, I love the smiles from a well chosen gift. Selfishly I want them to open it NOW!!!

Yep wink that's why I never could keep those secrets at Christmas...

Inch by inch.

Donovan - sorry for not commenting earlier. I think it looks good so far. Your sinew wrap looks a lot cleaner than mine. I think the extra long handle will just be something to get used to fit whoever receives it. After a few "cracks like a gunshot" they might even find a few tricks with it.

If I can't run fast, I'll make slow look impressive.
"By the power of ibuprofen!"

Donovan, I've somehow missed this thread until now. Sorry!

That's a very good start. I wouldn't mind a whip with a 15 inch handle at all - in fact, I'm moving towards a preference for longer handles generally. This shift in preference started when I got Roy Partin's cow whip, with a 16 inch handle (but a 10 foot thong). I agree with Robby: 15 inch handle on a 6.5 inch thong sounds too long for general purposes; but for target work....

How's it progressing?

'Less is often more!'

Thanks Gents

I don't take offense if you miss a post, we all do...

It was actually the discussion with you Mr Robert that prompted me to make a longer handled whip. The progress is stagnant for now, the last minute wedding plans and repairing whip #2 taking priority of my spare time at the moment.

Will keep this page updated as I go along

Taylor a lion may be a wee bit difficult with the hole Cecil the lion debacle

Wedding plans MUST take precedence! I'll be thinking of you on the day....

'Less is often more!'