Topic: Antti "Pokkis" Mäkinen

Hello fellow whipsters,

it's go time at last. I decided not to start my whip until I knew who will be receiving it, and now that part is taken care of. So dear mystery person, you're in for a treat, which for now looks like this:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l156/whipology/whip_swap_2015/whip_swap_2015_01_zps8wfnjqdt.jpg
obviously haven't had a chance to test crack it yet

This one should be a bit more target-oriented than my previous ones. Although I've found that pretty much all whip types are good for targeting as long as they're made with straight seams and proper balance.

It doesn't look like much yet, and with all the aluminium, carbon fibre and ball bearings it will bear much resemblance with what I've been doing lately. But why bother changing a recipe that works? I did think of trying a wild idea or two but decided against it, I want the recipient to have something I know will do the trick without too many surprises.

Don't be fooled by all that black cord, it's for the innards only. The overlay will be a whole another story and I'm just evil enough to keep it a secret. Or maybe I don't even know myself. Maybe I'm not even a real person. Maybe you're just sleeping and this is all a crazy dream, which is why you shouldn't read Sartre in bed.

Let the madness begin smile

- Pokkis

Re: Antti "Pokkis" Mäkinen

Awesome! Build threads, exciting!

Oooooh all those little beautiful materials.... Dream....

Inch by inch.

Still gotta hunt for some decorations, I hope I can find one thing. A very specific thing. Not a large part compared to the entire whip, but not a small one in its own class either. Oh, the mysteries of life...

- Pokkis

All the planning and drawing is now finished, and I even got something done. Not much, just the core, just felt like sharing a photo since this is where the whip -- or the little that's there -- looks so delightfully messy.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l156/whipology/whip_swap_2015/whip_swap_2015_02_zpsqi4pt3i9.jpg
it got some balls, two sizes of them to be exact

Getting pretty late so can't do anything more today, gonna start with the first belly right after breakfast tomorrow.

- Pokkis

Woah looks like it's gonna be like 15ft!

I'm tempted to say "of course it's at least 15 feet" here, but nah. What you see is maybe 8 feet or so from end to end and it includes more than a bit extra. Happened to find a piece that was more than enough for a core strand and therefore saved me the trouble of finding tools, cutting and gutting the cord, you know the really hard stuff. That would have required me to stand up and walk to the next room *shudder* tongue

- Pokkis

Lol : D By the way, what do you use for core strand?

Yep, you would be saying nasty words like "oh, bind!"  And "where did that binding thing go!!!"

Very cool, Pokkis!

Inch by inch.

Erik, it's a piece of gutted paracord. The steel balls and other stuff I need to insert are 4 mm or less in diameter so it works just fine.

Rachel, I've learned to accept the inevitable horrors of binding, so those aren't nasty words for me any more. Hmm well... Maybe "accept" is a bit too strong word here, let's just say that the sight of a sinew spool no longer fills my heart with existential angst tongue

- Pokkis

Oh okay! I ordered this "battlecord" stuff that's perfect. Fits regular 4,5mm BB's and even 6mm like a dream. I can also push the 6mm steel handle rod all the way in.

I thought of that too, but since nowadays I mostly use 4, 3 and sometimes even 2 mm steel balls for loading the core, it would be real difficult with cord that size. And whenever I make a bullwhip with an internal handle, I use 5 mm carbon fibre rods that are easy to grind down to 4 mm at the tip so that the core strand is easily attached.

More than one way to bake a cake, it seems smile

- Pokkis

Whatever bakes your cake man! I'd be interested to try your whips to see how the smaller balls and carbon fiber work. I've been only making pretty heavy whips.

I wax my whips in most cases, so a 16-plait bull is still not as light as all that carbon fibre and aluminium might suggest. Regardless of my balls being smaller than yours. In fact the light handle actually shifts the whip's point of balance forward and makes it feel more "heavy" in a way, but this is another discussion altogether. Let's all now silence our questions and bask in the awesomeness that is the core of my latest effort. Bask! Bask, I tell you!

I should probably sleep soon tongue

- Pokkis

Antti "Pokkis" Mäkinen wrote:

Regardless of my balls being smaller than yours.

- Pokkis

Only on Whip Basics do friends admit such things to each other.... Sorry Pokkis couldn't resist.

Looking really nice on the whip build front

Donovan de Swardt wrote:
Antti "Pokkis" Mäkinen wrote:

Regardless of my balls being smaller than yours.

- Pokkis

Only on Whip Basics do friends admit such things to each other.... Sorry Pokkis couldn't resist.

Looking really nice on the whip build front

And in the word of a once popular Australian band:

"and he's got big balls
and she's got big balls
but we've got the biggest balls of them all"

All kidding aside, Looking Good Pokkis!

Here's wishing you find time for the things you want to do, and for the things you need to do.
We see ourselves in our children and hope for a better future.

It is amazing to see the progress in the project. Very, very cool.

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

Thank you, everyone!

Donovan, they may be small, but they're hardened stainless steel smile

I decided to wrap some parachute cord around the mess you see up there. Seemed like a good idea, I guess we'll find out eventually how that works out. Looks prettier and more... Whippy. Or something.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l156/whipology/whip_swap_2015/whip_swap_2015_03_zpsgla8n9vh.jpg
what do you mean "whippy" isn't an actual adjective?

The first belly is plaited up to halfway of the thong length, and that will make it somewhat nose heavy instead of a quick and nimble speed cracking whip. Creating a nice balance is not just about loading the core -- in fact that's just a small part of it. Adjusting the taper makes a whole lot more difference than you might believe, especially when the whip is waxed. And... Yes, I'm now a believer. Most Nylon whips I'll be making from now on -- starting from last spring -- will absolutely be waxed with the only exception being fast performance whips.

That's it for now, gotta start binding and cut the cords for another belly smile

- Pokkis

Oh, and I sort of solved my waxing problem during the summer. A local Mexican restaurant hooked me up with an old catering container that is big enough for pretty much anything:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l156/whipology/misc/waxer_with_hobowhip_zps19xwloot.jpg

Hobo Man's whip tossed in for scale. The handle is about 13 inches and the thong is 5 feet, so the one I'm working now should fit in too. Takes a while to heat all that wax but it's totally worth it smile

- Pokkis

Looking great, Pokkis!!  That's interesting to see each layer, and we are learning new things too.  Yes whippy would qualify as an adjective, wouldn't it?!

Inch by inch.