Re: Basic whip cracks I've managed so far are...

Jessie Edwards wrote:

He did really well just feeling where my hand was...I think Robby says, throw the whip like a bowling ball.  It's exactly the same

Like a bowing ball, as in, there is a wrist rotation where you pronate inwards and for a moment your hand is positioned as if you're shaking hands?

Because if so, that's very close to how I underhand crack too lol

Hi Robby, Thank you for your offer, my video clip is here, at 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70CKHwW … mp;index=2

I tried using photobucket in the past, but this seemed problematic to view for some people, and you tube was recommended, which seemed to work.

I tried again yesterday after work, and did get a few cracks.  I observed though, that the whip seemed to be hitting itself before cracking, initiating a double crack of sorts - which prompted me to assume I was doing something wrong.

I just took this video clip, and watching it before I posting, I notice that I seem to be putting maybe too much effort into it, now i can see what I am doing from a third person perspective.  Quite strange, because to be honest at the time it doesn't feel like I am!

I am assuming that I need to slow down a bit, and maybe adjust the timing of the "snap"?

Thanks for taking the time to help me.  I appreciate this a lot, along with everyone else's comments.

Robby Amper wrote:

Russell - if you like, you could do a little video, send it to me and I will do my best to help. If you like...

Robby

In vino veritas

Russell, it looks like there's a lot of extra body movement comparing how you do the crack to how Robby does it in his videos.

Thanks Philbert,  Yes I agree with you mate.  At the risk of developing bad habits, in my endeavour to isolate the correct technique I do find myself exaggerating all movements to begin with, in order to get the feel, and then whittle down inefficient movements later during a process of refinement.
However I must admit that I may be overthinking things and this approach may have no place in the art of whip cracking.
I will try and minimise things a bit and see if that may solve the problem.  Cheers dude.

In vino veritas

Russell, two comments (if I may): You're working far too hard, and you move your whip-hand backwards before you bring the whip forward, every time! This results in a jerk affecting your whole body, which decreases your control of the whip. Just relax, man! Let the whip do the work! Robby's films show how very little effort a good crack actually needs. You're not wielding a heavy war-hammer!  smile

'Less is often more!'

The subtlety of your words will definitely help that advice sink in Robert, I enjoyed reading your comment lol and i'm not trying to be sarcastic in any way.  Yes unfortunately I always worked harder than smarter!

In vino veritas

Russell, i think, it may be better to learn the cracks by starting with using as little effort as you can to get it to crack and learning whats the bare minimum you need, instead of putting in too much effort then trying to fine tune it, as bad habits may have formed by then.

Thank you gents, i'll take this on board.  I appreciate your input into helping me get this right!

In vino veritas

Russell, I would say that the goal is to throw the thong out in front of you. If you can picture it, right now you're sending the thong straight up in the air. With this crack, you want the whip to roll out in front of you. Try a similar motion, but instead, try to get the tip of the whip as far in front of you as you can before bringing it up.

Hi Grant, I found your advice very helpful. 

I gave it a shot for a few minutes, trying to "throw" it out rather than arcing it like you suggested, and I definitely got a much better sense how the underhand crack should be.  However I will need some more practice to get it right. 

Thanks again for checking out my clip, taking the time to analyse what I was doing wrong and posting about ways to improve my technique.  It really helped.

I hope that you have a good day

In vino veritas

Thank you Russell! I'm glad it helped. I like making whips, but my real love is cracking. I would love to see some more whip crackers around here. Best of luck, and if you need anything in the future, I'd be more than happy to give some tips!

You're welcome buddy, and thanks again. I wish there were more whip crackers around here too.  People kinda look at me like I'm from outer space Lol queue the jokes about b&d etc....

In vino veritas