Re: Basic whip cracks I've managed so far are...

Fritz Ehlers wrote:

Our very own Robby gave me the best training advice for cracking whips.
Crack the whip with as little effort as you possibly can,..... just enough swing to put it where it needs to be.
It doesn't have to crack loud, sometimes it's a mere pop sound.

Pay attention to how the whip roles out, and watch your plains.
Cattleman's should go straight up and back down staying on the vertical plain. If it starts to get a bit diagonal, then you need to correct your stance or grip.

This is EXACTLY where I am right now.

We have very little practice space, a back yard too small for use really, but I do have a long entryway down the side of my house. It's a compromise - sometimes can only get ten minutes here and there.. and purists will hate me (it's brick and tarmac hmm) However - it makes the difference between being abe to practice on the days we can't leave the house to no practice at all and losing the impetus. The one good thing about alleyway practice is that I DO notice the plains. Massively.

Jas x

Robert Gage wrote:
Robby Amper wrote:

The art of whip cracking (and the training) develops your ability to feel where you are. Learn to crack your whip with closed eyes. You don't need to see your whip to know where it is and what it does as long as you are connected with the whip. Feel its motion. Let yourself fall back. Trust in yourself. You will hit your back with closed eyes, yes. But didn't you hit yourself with your eyes open, too? The whip should become an extension of your arm. Of your body. Of your soul. Feel it. I said this before - the whip talks to you. All the time. All you have to do is listen. This is no spiritual mumbo jumbo - I don't like that esoteric stuff very much. It is my experience.

These words are profoundly wise! I think they should form the Credo of anyone who aspires to good whip cracking!  smile

So I am discovering smile\

Jas x

'I would like to say that I've "mastered," any particular crack, but quite honestly, I don't think I have.

I am very good at pulling a majority of them off and doing them with proper form, making sure to create the tight curve in the whip which will get it to crack more crisply and with less force than a sloppy execution, but seriously... you're always learning when whip cracking, in my humble opinion. As with any art form, there are basic fundamentals to know, and then your application and execution of those fundamentals. There is also much room for creativity once you get down the basics.

For me, it took me quite a while to develop the array of cracks I can now execute, and it has been a long journey for each one. And, none of those journeys are near their end. I would say the learning curve is not THAT long to get the basic fundamentals of any single crack down, but to really understand the feel of the crack and be able to flow in and out of them and try them in different planes? Wayyyyyy longer learning curve at that level

Jonathen, wold love to see a video of your cracking with that new 10 footer.

Ron

Yesterday I spotted an albino dalmatian.
It was the least I could do for him.

Let me assure you that you will never stop to learn. After all these years I still work on my circus crack. Or at the underhand. The key to master the whip is not to finish anything. It is to accept that you improve, but never will stop learning.

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

Robby Amper wrote:

The key to master the whip is not to finish anything. It is to accept that you improve, but never will stop learning.

Robby

Wise words and perfectly true for really learning anything!  It does not matter what skill level we reach there is always more to learn. 
Well said, Robby.

Inch by inch.

Ooooh, swpring has sprung at last and I can hopefully finally get out with the whips again for some crackage.

I haven't really got around to cracking a whip the whole winter, just briefly here and there but no quality time with my whips, which is a shame.

Robby Amper wrote:

The key to master the whip is not to finish anything. It is to accept that you improve, but never will stop learning.

Robby

Wow. These are wise words. Thank you Robby, I will remember this

Dang this is a good thread.  Like you Jesse, I have tried to just stick with one crack and try to perfect it.  I think I may be a very old old man by the time I feel comfortable about achieving a skill level I am happy with though lol

In vino veritas

I like to think I'm pretty accomplished in the cracking department, but I still practice as often as I can. Nice to know that others feel the same. There's always room for improvement.

Well i've been studying the Vol I Whip Basics dvd, and I found the circus crack, horizontal crack and the opposite horizontal crack fairly simple to get the hang of, but holy smokes i seem to be hitting a brick wall with that darned underhand crack! 
I studied the underhand crack section frame by frame, tried all sorts of subtle variations with the movements etc, but i seem to be having real trouble forming the all important loop. 

Yes, very quickly I discovered the limits of my patience, and how it's not really a good idea to be learning something new after a very frustrating, tedious and migrane inducing day at work!

I thought it better to give it a break until tomorrow, hopefully I will be in a better frame of mind.
Is there anyone who might have (hopefully) had the same problem, and please willing to share how they overcame it?

Cheers smile

In vino veritas

Russell, little and often is far better than mega-sessions. It's like learning to play the piano: half an hour a day is far better than four hours altogether once a week! Just take it slowly, and you'll suddenly find you can do it!

'Less is often more!'

Absolutely right Mr. Robert. smile

Ron

Yesterday I spotted an albino dalmatian.
It was the least I could do for him.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Robert. I will try your approach.  With my mentality of trying to make the most out of spare time I have,  the wisdom of taking little bites at a time versus big chunks eluded me lol

In vino veritas

Russell - if you like, you could do a little video, send it to me and I will do my best to help. If you like...

Robby

I have a screwdriver. I am Legend...

Russell, close your eyes.  I find that when I can't get something, I close my eyes and I get it.  The underhand crack was the one crack I tried to teach someone.  He was blind.

Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap. 
                                                                                    ~Management

Thank you Robert! I will take a video tomorrow.  I think it may be something to do with what you were saying about the horizontal crack, about not fully extending the whip maybe. Even so, consciously keeping this in mind, i seem to have trouble forming the loop.
I have to admit for some reason, that snapping my wrist back feels less natural than down or across.  It might be something to do with mis-timing that too.  Anyway, I will post a clip tomorrow.

Thanks Jessie, I see what you are saying.  I need to get the feel of what I am doing.  Teaching a blind man to whip crack? that's awesome!  I trust that he had a natural feel for where the whip was?  I hope so!

In vino veritas

Correction: Sorry I should have said Robby instead of Robert. - Must proof read!

In vino veritas

He did really well just feeling where my hand was...I think Robby says, throw the whip like a bowling ball.  It's exactly the same

Due to rising costs, dirty deeds are no longer done dirt cheap. 
                                                                                    ~Management

Yes I did neglect to try that exact technique.  Thanks!  Hmm hopefully I don't get a gutterball or drop it before letting it roll lol

In vino veritas